• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow behavior (1 Viewer)

GR Triever

I'm paying more attention now to what birds actually DO, as opposed to just what the bird actually IS. So, here's a question:

The sparrows in my back yard have started hovering about 12" off the ground, just above the dandelion stalks, then land for a few seconds, then take off and hover some more, then land again about 2 - 3ft away, etc, etc. Why are they doing this?

Confused,

GR

New Bird for Backyard List

A fine mist rain fell most of the day keeping me indoors and not out where I wanted to be. Just before dusk I took a break, going out on the deck for a little fresh air and checking the bird feeders.

While scouting the garden I spotted the zig,zag flight of a Woodcock dropping through the trees to the good sized seep/wet spot we have in the back garden. Rushing in for the bins I spotted him flexing his wings doing a little feather adjustment. Bright eyed and in top form. Very cool to say the least!

The Common Grackles have been visiting the seep all day, picking wet leaves for their nests. A large flock of Starlings had a good bath earlier in the afternoon and then chowed down at the feeders.

Never thought I'd get a Woodcock for a yard bird! B :)

GR Triever said:
I'm paying more attention now to what birds actually DO, as opposed to just what the bird actually IS. So, here's a question:

The sparrows in my back yard have started hovering about 12" off the ground, just above the dandelion stalks, then land for a few seconds, then take off and hover some more, then land again about 2 - 3ft away, etc, etc. Why are they doing this?

Confused,

GR
There is a bird behavior book by Stokes that I refer to sometimes - I'll look up your sparrow antics.....
Had a starling encounter myself today - my "brave" husband hollers from the basement steps "there's a bird down here". (He and one our daughters have a real fear of flying birds) I run down and pitch up the cat who was more than willing to take care of the "problem" and spend the next half hour outwitting the dumb bird. Finally had it cornered in kitchen window - opened doors that go up into garage and then outside- hooked up an afghan in the drop ceiling so it wouldn't fly back into the rest of the basement and he flew to the light and freedom. They come in thru the chimney and down the Franklin stove pipe - thought we had screens on the chimney - must have someone look into that!

Last edited:
I'm no expert in this sort of thing, but I've often noticed sparrows exhibiting 'hovering' behaviour when they want to get a better look at something, most usually a food source, but on other occasions too. In your case you say the dandelion heads are about 12" above the ground, and of course if they can hover over the seed-head then they will get a better view of what there is available in the way of seeds than if they are on the ground. My sparrows hover near bushes where there are tasty buds to be had.

Alan Hill

GR Triever said:

Confused,

GR
My Stokes Bird Behavior indicated that territorial behavior is common this time of the year....?

I would imagine they are `beating' small flying insects up from the dandilions ?

We have front and rear doors glazed with those small panes of glass. I have many times heard fluttering at the doors and seen a sparrow hovering at the door picking out the spiders and small insects from the corner of the panes.

They also regularly look for insects on the stone wall of the adjacent property like fly catchers. I think they are far more resourceful than we give them credit for.

I think I would get down on my hands and knees ,if I were you, and look closely in amongst the dandilions to see what you can find insectwise. :eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back