• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird hide Design (1 Viewer)

mudlarkin

Hi there

I'm involved with the design of a new bird public hide in west Norfolk, and I'm sorry to say that I'm not the most experienced of birders. Any advice or observations on bird hide design would be very welcome.

Great place you have here, by the way.

Jim Ross

Apart from what's covered in the thread there, I really prefer hides with stools, chairs or benches you can move, rather than the fixed kind. It's easier for taller chaps like me to get comfortable, allows folks with tripods more room to set up and improves access for wheelchairs. I guess the the drawback is you have to check what state they get into.
Anyway, hides with that are quite rare, but always preferable to me.

There's some good points in that thread. I agree about the windows being low enough to allow the use of an angled scope. I would also add, a nice sturdy shelf inside running all the way round for leaning and writing on and to allow the use of hide clamps which take up a lot less room than tripods.

It might be worth having a look at the hides at some of the RSPB sites near you for ideas, although I think some of them are very costly, if that's an issue.

Ron

I like the large window in part of the hide like Titchwell Marsh,
with no seats which allows you stand up while you digiscope
etc....also the use of end windows that are a bit larger in height.
I have seen some hides where you cannot open both windows
when you are in a corner position which can be a pain (no bun)..

I'm not trying to lower the tone, but a khazi would be good in a hide. There's nothing worse than, in a birding session, needing to answer the call of nature and leave.

I'm not trying to lower the tone, but a khazi would be good in a hide. There's nothing worse than, in a birding session, needing to answer the call of nature and leave.

One or two hides I've seen in the past appear to be used solely as a khazi and little else!!

(first hide off asda carpark, breydon water)

Matt

I like Hides that:
Give plenty of room to sit down and to move around the hide
Moveable chairs
Corner seats as long as they open their windows and alow a lot of room
Easy to open windows
are simple

I hate hides that:
Do not give enough room on the shelf to put your stuff down
make it so hard to open corner seats
are at minsmere because they are so cramped and thin
have big glass screens, especially when angled which heat up so much on a sunny day and don't allow you to focus your scope.

And every hide must be:
Well Maintained- the state of some of the windows I have seen is unacceptable and when you pick your pencil off a floor with fluff on it it is not pleasant.

I think the "hieght of seat to height of window" ratio is important.

I've been in may hides where either the seat is too high too comfortably look out of the window, or vice versa, where the windows are too high up for the height of the seat. I'm sure that there is an optimum "balance".

I'm not the tallest chap, but i'm sure many hides are designed without having anyone actually test how the position of the window in relation to the height of the seat can affect not only the comfortableness of the viewing position (some are literally back-breaking!) but also its usefulness in being able to actually see anything for people of a range of heights.

Thats my twopenneth!

Mike (Short Bloke!)

A must for me is to have the windows at the correct height and like others, the postion of the bench must give adequate room for scope,tripod etc.Individual seats are a much better idea for all but then theres the possibility they could be stolen. Also making the entrance to the hide concealed as not to spoke everything is useful.

Geordie

Much to go on.

Thank you all.

You have given me some good directions to follow.

So

1. No squeaky floors, windows or doors.

2. Self cleaning windows.

3. Toilet close by.

4. Plenty of space and movable furniture

5. Well insulated

6. Ample continuous shelf below windows to accommodate Briding bits and bobs, and allow fixing of viewing equipment.

I'm particularly interested in the changing requirements of hides, as more folk use Digiscopes and telescopes. Any thoughts in this direction?

Would it be of interest to have a fixed high quality cctv type arrangement, controlled from with in the hide.

Or movable cctv set to view particular nesting site not viable from hide , king fisher or sky lark plots for example.

I had a meeting with my client last night and your suggestions helped greatly in taking the design another step forward.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Jim Ross

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back