• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EDG lens caps - new design..!? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

Nikon did a service on my EDG 8x42 for a couple of months ago. Among other things they replaced the lens caps with another pair - a pair with a new design! At least, the design was new to me. Those new lens caps have small bumps and an edge that keep the caps in place. Now they work very very well! :)

Attachments

• Linsskydd.jpg
    Linsskydd.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 147
Kingfisher,
Thanks for posting this. That DOES look like a new design. You may recall I did a big post about Nikon sending me new objective covers that I thought were a totally new design but then I learned they were just the older EDG 1 style. And frankly neither the EDG 1 nor EDG 2 covers worked perfectly for me. So I will be opening a ticket with Nikon one more time and I'll see if they can send me this very latest style. If you can post another couple pictures it might help me show them what I want.

Dave

I am familiar with that configuration of objective lens cap from a pair of Bresser Montana porros that I purchased from Explore Scientific LLC. I was instantly put off by them (the caps) since the ridges on the inside of the cap left indentations or more appropriately a permanent set on the armor covering. It has taken months for these indentations to work themselves out and still, there is a distinct telltale sign of them having left permanent set marks in the rubberized/polymer armor jacket/cover. The internal ridges do more harm to the looks of the bin than they do to resolve the problem of falling off. The trade off is not worth it. Throw them away and find something that will not permanently disfigure your bin------meaning no internal ridged objective covers!

Well, I requested for Nikon USA to send me the new style of objective cover that you show in your photo. I provided your photo to them emphasizing that this is a NEW style. They said they would try. After about a week they just sent me the same style that I already have. So I called back, and they told me they don't have any other part number available other than what they sent. So Kingfisher, I think those covers are maybe not available in the US. Oh well. I'll keep using the Vortex covers; they look a little tacky because I had to whittle a little off them to make them fit around the "bump" on the EDG near the end of the barrel. They are also not perfect, but I like them better than either the EDG I or EDG II style covers that Nikon has provided. I guess the ones you have are "EDG III".
--Dave

Some more pics..

They have the same part number as the ones on my 10x32EDG II (which I got this past summer as a replacement of my original EDG I) but they are differently constructed.

Yours has a rim around the bottom edge which mine do not have. It looks like this rim is designed to fit into one of the grooves just inside the end of the objective tubes.

For the record, the EDG I had completely different objective covers designed to fit over the much thicker rubber covers surrounding the ends of their objective tubes. The EDG II has thinner rubber covers there.

Bob

Last edited:
Some more pics..

Hi Kingfisher,
I have a qeustion about EDG II 8x42. How it is compared to ELSV in case of image quality, optics cleaning? Do the EDG good job in cold weather? I sold recently EL SV and have possibility to get new EDG at price of 1350e, so I am interested in.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back