• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

where to start, or maybe leap in the deep end? (1 Viewer)

jape

i have been using online identifiers but not always successfully. i find i am interested in behaviour as much as identification, the whys and wheres.

i have been advised to get Collins Field Guide and will look out for one. But what, if any, is a source of detailed behaviour? does it exist outside of academic papers.

ii want detailed observed behaviour, feeding details, including seasonal, flight movement and action. is there another layer of serious birding books i could go to.?

not looking for instant ID more to get further reading so that i may get a hint from that: ie. 'observed picking sap from upper twiglets of x bush during y season after the z fly population has final hatch and prior to final emergence of lesser spotted midge in marginal birch groves when moon is in first quarter ....' (all made up of course).

Hi Jape,

ii want detailed observed behaviour, feeding details, including seasonal, flight movement and action. is there another layer of serious birding books i could go to.?

In the German language, "Methodenstandards zur Erfassung der Brutvögel Deutschlands" by Südbeck et al. is quite an interesting book as it covers all birds breeding in Germany, provides a timetable for their migration and breeding activity, and gives hints regarding their feeding strategies, habitat choices and behaviour patterns as far as they are relevant for systematically counting the populations.

Maybe there's a book like this for the birds of Britain as well? "Methodenstandards" really is written for the volunteers doing the actual counting in the field, but with the broad coverage of a wide range of species, in my opinion it's a great addition to Collin's field guide.

Regards,

Henning

vielen dank, henning, ich spreche ein wenig 'schul deutsch', vieleicht nicht gut genug!

andyadcock, thanks. £200 a bit over budget though.

vielen dank, henning, ich spreche ein wenig 'schul deutsch', vieleicht nicht gut genug!

andyadcock, thanks. £200 a bit over budget though.

You may get it cheaper if you keep your eyes open but the kind of information you want, is far too expansive, to be covered in a regular field guide.

A

There is a number of "introduction to birding/birdwatching" books out there. They will often have the overview level information (finches often do this because ...). At the detail level, you may need something more in depth either for one group at a time or HWP mentioned above.

Niels

There is a number of "introduction to birding/birdwatching" books out there. They will often have the overview level information (finches often do this because ...). At the detail level, you may need something more in depth either for one group at a time or HWP mentioned above.

Niels

If you're interested in any particular species, there are a number of single species monographs available e.g Pied Flycatcher, Magpies, Kestrel, Goshawk, Hen Harrier and the new Blue Tit from Poyser, all are very 'in depth' as you'd expect.

There are also family monographs which are less extensive at individual species level.

A

Not exactly what you've asked for but 2 books that can at least give clues as to what birds are likely to be doing particular things -

Collins Identifying Birds By Behaviour by Dominic Couzens
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Identifyin...519762475&sr=1-10&keywords=birds+by+behaviour

Birds By Character The fieldguide to jizz identification by Rob Hume
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Char...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7MR56M2KZ9E0QY87AR85

Also the Secret Life of Garden Birds by Dominic Couzens goes into behaviour etc a bit, and is probably more about the birds you're likely to see than a general overview.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Lives-Garden-Birds/dp/0713666161

Prices for first two seem a bit high - though you may be able to track down 2nd hand copies cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited:
thanks stonefaction, they will be on my bookshelf as soon as i see them cheap somewhere. hmmm must get a bookshelf.

I find I am interested in behaviour as much as identification, the whys and wheres. ... I want detailed observed behaviour, feeding details, including seasonal, flight movement and action. is there another layer of serious birding books i could go to?

I'd have a look out for any/all of the following:

• Garden Bird Behaviour: How to recognize and interpret everyday bird activities (Robert Burton 2005)
  • The Secret Lives of Garden Birds (Dominic Couzens & Peter Partington 2004)
  • Secret Lives of British Birds (Dominic Couzens & Peter Partington 2006)
At the very least, the illustrations are fantastic!

Collins guide for me then watching and learning. Learn the basic species first then when you see a species you are not sure of look it up. Learning behaviour from watching is for me the fun part.

I have a lot of bird books and one that I think would fit the bill for what you're asking for and I find very useful is "Identifying Birds by Behaviour" by Dominic Couzens. You should be able to order a second hand copy on Amazon, Abebooks or Ebay. It identifies birds by key features and behaviours like how they feed, how they fly, size differences between similar species and habitat preferences. Some of the illustrations are a little "cartoony" and it's nowhere near as definitive as the "Collins Bird Guide" but still a good book to have.

I have a lot of bird books and one that I think would fit the bill for what you're asking for and I find very useful is "Identifying Birds by Behaviour" by Dominic Couzens. You should be able to order a second hand copy on Amazon, Abebooks or Ebay. It identifies birds by key features and behaviours like how they feed, how they fly, size differences between similar species and habitat preferences. Some of the illustrations are a little "cartoony" and it's nowhere near as definitive as the "Collins Bird Guide" but still a good book to have.

thank you Nicola, i have put it on my list now! i have his 'secret lives' which is fun if superficial, Collins and 'birds by character' by wallace et al, which is a good supplement to Collins but doesnt go at all far into behaviour. your choice will probably round off my books nicely for a while but someone also pointed out a book about bird intelligence i want. i think, as i love reading, i may have picked up a bit of a habit here ...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back