• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Well I'm in...(the Zen Ray boat) (1 Viewer)

jasonp

A couple of weeks ago, a pain in the ? nephew came over while I was at work and found my Minox Bino's. At some point, my wife found the little rat playing with them and put them up on the shelf. The next day, I went out for a hike and took them out to do a little bird searching. Low and Behold, the little rat had dropped them at some point and bent one of the eye cups pretty badly. :storm: I bent the eye cup back and everything optically seems fine but now the eye cup will not go in and out smoothly.

I decided last night due to the damage, that the Minox would be my work bino's and I would get something a little nicer for my birding photography trips. After reading for several hours over a period of a couple of days, I figured the Zen Ray ED2's 8x42 looked like the best choice for the money I wanted to spend. It was either them or the Vortex Talon HD's and I figured the Zen Ray's were probably just as good since they were probably produced in the same factory. This combined with the fact that according to all accounts that Charles of Zen has a pretty good reputation of taking care of customers, pushed my towards the Zen. So late last night, I ordered the ZR ED2's off of Camerlandny's website. Once they get here, I'll post my thoughts...

Jason

This combined with the fact that according to all accounts that Charles of Zen has a pretty good reputation of taking care of customers, pushed my towards the Zen. So late last night, I ordered the ZR ED2's off of Camerlandny's website. Once they get here, I'll post my thoughts...

Jason

You'll love the Zens - they are, in my view, truly game changing binoculars. Also, as many of us can attest, Charles has been relentless in addressing early Zen QC teething problems and CameraLand has offered for a great many years a special combination of knowledge about the products it sells and great service. I hope your all around experience is as rewarding as mine has been.

I should offer congratulations as well. I have been using the Zen Ray models for a few years now and have been very happy with their price vs. performance as well as their customer service and willingness to take on new designs. I cannot wait to see what they come out with next. Bet its a headturner.

:)

. I cannot wait to see what they come out with next. Bet its a headturner.

Hopefully, a wide field 7 x 43. Even my wife, ever skeptical of the acquisition of any new binocular, agrees a Zen 7 x 43 would be a most welcome addition and almost certainly find its way into the house promptly following its introduction.

Ah, I forget that not everyone visits the other optics forums on the net. Charles posted that he anticipated the arrival of the 7x43 ED3s some time in October. As long as the field of view betters the typical 7x42s (420 feet) and still retains all of the wonderful aspects of the 8x43s then I will certainly be one happy camper as well.

Bob, FOV is 440ft. It weighs about 27 Oz, like 8x43 ED3. ER is 19mm.

Charles

Saaaawwweeeetttt! Very close to the Zeiss FL indeed. With the change in color representation (very similar in appearance to the Zeiss) because of the AR coatings and now a similar field of view the 7x43s should be optically excellent. I have high expectations for this binocular!

You just made me a happy camper. ;-)

and the 7x43ED3 is coming quicker then i thought,October i may have to get a pair.........they should be a little easier to hold still then my 8x.......lol

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back