• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Underwater Photography w. CP (1 Viewer)

pete woodall

Hi

I originally posted this on another forum, but got no replies, and following
Katy's suggestion I'll try it here.

Has anyone tried much UW photography with the small digitals??

I've bought a EWA bag for my Coolpix 4500 and intend to try it this summer
when the water warms up a bit but I was a bit disconcerted when reading the info leaflet on the EWA bag which states that auto focus doesn't work underwater and you need to set the camera on an infinity (mountains) focus which will work for subjects a couple of metres away underwater and then use a close-up lens for subjects closer.

I would really like to have something that I could snap away with UW and then look at later with my books to try to work out id's.

My wife and I really enjoy snorkelling but it is a huge challenge with all the species here, all the diferent colour forms (immatures, etc) and the diificulty of taking notes. I now aways take an underwater slate with me to write notes but often that gets filled up quite soon.

Cheers

Peter

This may work

Try a wax pencil on a plastic paper like mylar. You can write a entire novel underwater. By punching holes in it and using key rings you can keep it all in a bundle. By cutting tabs on the pages you can turn them easier. You can use rite-in-rain note books also.

Hi Pete,

I've done a couple of dive trips to the Red Sea and taken a camera with me. I have been using my clubs 'Reefmaster' camera this is a purpose built small digital camera/housing for underwater or land photography and cost less than 200 pounds UK. It is auto everything and a macro lens just snaps onto the outside of the housing, there are external lighting accesories if you need to upgrade. There are companies on the www that supply decent underwater housings for just about every new make of either small or large digi camera.

Try: www.reefmaster.com - the one I use, www.ikelite.com (auto35 system) and www.seaandsea.com

I've attached a couple pictures from my last trip.

Hope some of this helps.

Colin :cool:

Top tip - process your images through a photo prog like Adobe photoshop elements to get really stunning images, you can get rid of the excess blue and adjust the reds which you lose the deeper you go.

pete woodall said:
Hi

I originally posted this on another forum, but got no replies, and following
Katy's suggestion I'll try it here.

Has anyone tried much UW photography with the small digitals??

I've bought a EWA bag for my Coolpix 4500 and intend to try it this summer
when the water warms up a bit but I was a bit disconcerted when reading the info leaflet on the EWA bag which states that auto focus doesn't work underwater and you need to set the camera on an infinity (mountains) focus which will work for subjects a couple of metres away underwater and then use a close-up lens for subjects closer.

I would really like to have something that I could snap away with UW and then look at later with my books to try to work out id's.

My wife and I really enjoy snorkelling but it is a huge challenge with all the species here, all the diferent colour forms (immatures, etc) and the diificulty of taking notes. I now aways take an underwater slate with me to write notes but often that gets filled up quite soon.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 154
rafo1 said:
I've done a couple of dive trips to the Red Sea and taken a camera with me. I have been using my clubs 'Reefmaster' camera this is a purpose built small digital camera/housing for underwater or land photography and cost less than 200 pounds UK. It is auto everything and a macro lens just snaps onto the outside of the housing, there are external lighting accesories if you need to upgrade. There are companies on the www that supply decent underwater housings for just about every new make of either small or large digi camera.

Try: www.reefmaster.com - the one I use, www.ikelite.com (auto35 system) and www.seaandsea.com

The reefmaster link takes me to a page that is password protected?

thanks
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back