• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 6.5x32 MeoPro (1 Viewer)

Annabeth2,

I wonder what your reasoning is for utilizing the CL over the Meopro, which you believe to be sharper and brighter (I imagine I'd agree, as both of those were not what I'd consider 'strong points' of the CL) - I'm assuming ergonomics and 8x over 6.5x being the main concerns?

All the best,
Justin

Annabeth2,

I wonder what your reasoning is for utilizing the CL over the Meopro, which you believe to be sharper and brighter (I imagine I'd agree, as both of those were not what I'd consider 'strong points' of the CL) - I'm assuming ergonomics and 8x over 6.5x being the main concerns?

All the best,
Justin

Yes, it's the ergonomics, smaller size and lighter weight.
I was trying to find a suitable replacement for the CL with
closer focus and wider fov yet still relatively compact and light.
I did not say that the meopro was sharper than the CL. Once I compared
them both I could not determine which was sharper.

I found a nice replacement today at a local Audubon store and purchased a 6x32
Leupold Katmai (amazing find since it is discontinued). It fits the bill
with close focus, wide fov and is smaller than the CL and just an ounce
heavier. So, the Meopro will go back. It is a nice bin though and has its strong
Points.

Last edited:
Yes, it's the ergonomics, smaller size and lighter weight.
I was trying to find a suitable replacement for the CL with
closer focus and wider fov yet still relatively compact and light.
I did not say that the meopro was sharper than the CL. Once I compared
them both I could not determine which was sharper.

I found a nice replacement today at a local Audubon store and purchased a 6x32
Leupold Katmai (amazing find since it is discontinued). It fits the bill
with close focus, wide fov and is smaller than the CL and just an ounce
heavier. So, the Meopro will go back. It is a nice bin though and has its strong
Points.
Annabeth,

I must have misspoke; I noticed in your previous post you mentioned you thought the Meopta were sharper and I did not see the post about finding no difference once compared. I am glad you like the Katmai.

All the best,
Justin

Annabeth,

I must have misspoke; I noticed in your previous post you mentioned you thought the Meopta were sharper and I did not see the post about finding no difference once compared. I am glad you like the Katmai.

All the best,
Justin

Thanks Justin. My first roof bin ever was the Katmai
8x32 and it was the only bin I ever regretted selling.
I'm very happy to have it again. I also got lucky finding
It practically new. It was the demo in the case, but Audubon
sold it at the new price. They need all of the money they can
get and I was happy to pay...was worth every penny.
Surprisingly, they had 2 units! So if anyone is looking for
this hard to find model just call Scherman Hoffman Audubon
Sanctuary in NJ.

I'm hoping to dissipate the meopro excitement whipping up here by taking out
some old pristine 6x30s I got. Probably not the same performance but it will help
audition the idea of 6x30 use. A few quick looks and I can resolve about as well as the
8x30s, but the 6x30 view is a lot easier on the eyes fatigue-wise. It might be the
exit pupil, but perhaps also the lower power itself. That is, optics don't have to fight
so hard against distortions at lower powers so the same price point or design
can yield a flatter view.

I'm hoping to dissipate the meopro excitement whipping up here by taking out
some old pristine 6x30s I got. Probably not the same performance but it will help
audition the idea of 6x30 use. A few quick looks and I can resolve about as well as the
8x30s, but the 6x30 view is a lot easier on the eyes fatigue-wise. It might be the
exit pupil, but perhaps also the lower power itself. That is, optics don't have to fight
so hard against distortions at lower powers so the same price point or design
can yield a flatter view.

Hello Optic Nut,

There is no question, in my mind, that a 6x is a lot friendlier than an 8x. My first binocular was a 6x30, and I still have several, as well as 96 year-old 6x24, but none of those Porro binoculars have modern coatings, which make a big difference in contrast and light transmission. I do have a 6x32 Eagle Optics Ranger, or perhaps it is a Platinum Ranger, which seems to be outclassed by the Meopta but I have not done a thorough comparison.
Insofar as Canon makes an image stabilised 8x, there has to be a place for even lower power binoculars, which are easy to hold unaided. As far as I know, the US Army uses a 7x21, while U.S. Navy still uses 7x50 glasses, so 7x must have something in its favour.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Interesting ref. on the military sizes. 7x50 seems very solidly embedded in all sea uses
private and public. I haven't figured out whether the 50mm is for brightness
or more just for ballast. Maybe it's the huge exit pupil that's extra appealing at sea.
The 7x21 is interesting for the Army. It might be that more brightness is not relevant
with other gadgets handy.

Of course, 6.5x32 is extremely close to 7x35, a size that is well-stocked in past models.
My 6x30s are circa 1950 and maybe 1960 and one is coated throughout, but definitely
a bit dim. I have Taylor 7x35/525-ft that are a lot brighter. Maybe late 1970s.
They would benefit from another recent improvement, though: aspheric ocular parts
to clean up the outer parts of the field without adding more elements (and losses).
In a porro Nikon has that but straddles, prices at $60 and $700. Quite a gap.
That leaves a lot of room for the Meopro. It's well positioned in the roof market and
doesn't have a nearby porro answer.

Last edited:
Nikon still has their Action Extreme 7x35 which regularly sells for around $125-$150 most places. The Action Extreme is probably the last semi-modern 7x35 porro that will please the wide angle enthusiasts. Yes, it isn't as wide as the super wide and extra wide angle models we have been discussing but when you take into consideration the optical performance coupled with the waterproofing, modern eyecups and respectable eye relief then it really doesn't have any competition in the 7x35 configuration and in the current market.

OH, I missed that. 7x35 Action Extreme 487ft@1000yds. Not bad. Not as sleek, but nice.
That's enough to prevent FOV withdrawal. So that would be the spoiler porro, if one
puts up with the extra bulk. Steiner seems big on 7x30, but they cost like the
MeoPro and have regular FOV. I think a lot of makers are afraid of the dings they'll
get for edge sharpness. I don't mind so much if it helps me detect presence and motion.

At 440ft/100yd, the MeoPro is very good for a roof. Nice if they dared 500.
That would plump the midsection.

Last edited:
It's nice to see all these positive comments about the Meopro. It deserves more buyers and fans, and hopefully this one will see sufficient sales figures to survive.
I have to say, though, that I used to be baffled over how often the Vortex Fury 6.5x32 was dismissed and overlooked on this forum for reasons like "not an alpha", "Anything less than 8x is too little magnification", "previous diopter problems" et cetera.

The Meopro is so close that they could replace each other, albeit having slightly different flavours. Get the Meopro while they're available and find out what the low power, medium format fever is about.

//L

Last edited:
Hello Optic Nut,

The 7 mm. exit pupil of the 7x50, along with its moderate power is prized, at sea, for the ability to keep it on target. More than 7x on a moving ship may be problematic, and the large exit pupil facilitates keeping a target in view. Shipboard, there may be higher power binoculars on fixed mountings.
I think that the U.S. Army may have opted for the 7x28 [my error in writing 7x21] because it can fit into the pocket of battle dress.

Happy bird watching,

Ah, I see it now: 7x28, roof prisms. A lot more resolution than 7x21, more exit
pupil. I take the x28 to mean they were counting every last cubic inch and ounce.
Close to the old 6x30, but with brighter light for a tad more power.

I see things differently with different combinations. I'm going to
take two different pairs out more often, under the theme
"be thankful for what you've got". I leave the best home a lot.
Must stop that.

The whole concept of exit pupil and comfort is gaining on me.
Doesn't always connect, but does quite often when the number's high.
The classic 1:5 makes sense to me: 6x30, 7x35, 8x40, 10x50. 5mm exit.
(when not at sea)

Hoping I can visit the MeoPros at a shop some time.

Last edited:
Hello Optic Nut,

As useful as my 8x32 may be, binoculars with a 5 mm. exit pupil are certainly easier to use. A rolling deck just makes a 7 mm. an appropriate exit pupil.

Happy bird watching,

I have to say, though, that I used to be baffled over how often the Vortex Fury 6.5x32 was dismissed and overlooked on this forum for reasons like "not an alpha", "Anything less than 8x is too little magnification", "previous diopter problems" et cetera.

//L

Hello Looksharp,

Of course, the MeoPro is not an Alpha. It meets almost all my needs and I can pay five times as much for silky focussing; squeezing out the little bit of chromatic aberration and getting a somewhat more compact binocular like the Zeiss FL. However, I do not think that I would get a view quite so easy.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Hello Looksharp,

Of course, the MeoPro is not an Alpha. It meets almost all my needs and I can pay five times as much for silky focussing; squeezing out the little bit of chromatic aberration and getting a somewhat more compact binocular like the Zeiss FL. However, I do not think that I would get a view quite so easy.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Well. There was a recent thread where I argued against the "alpha" concept (no intention to resurrect it at the moment).
I'm paying five times as much for the EDG 7x42 that's on its way to me right now. It has an even better focuser than the Meopro/Fury, and those have a better focuser than the FL I recently sold. They also have a more neutral colour rendition.

The 10x32 FL's resolution is substantially better thanks to the 10x vs. 6.5x, and also incomparably better when boosted. But for the intended use, the 6.5x is better (sharper! :eek!:) thanks to decreased shake. It is also sharper than the FL when considering how much longer within a certain time frame it is sharp, thanks to the much better depth of field.

So which binocular is an alpha? Really? :h?:

The EDG 7x42 unites some of the best properties of the Fury/Meopro and the FL. The supernaturally natural view, the even bigger exit pupil, its superior resolution to the edge of the FOV are what I get in addition.
To me, that's really worth a lot regardless of the price.
But nobody with intact sanity would say the EDG is five times as good as the Meopro. Maybe 20% better, and that is still a substantial improvement when the Meopros are so useful for almost any birder, and it has very few flaws of which none is really cumbersome.

My conclusion is that the Meopro, just like the Fury was, is a real bargain.
A real bargain! B :)

//L

Last edited:
Hello Looksharp,

Of course, the MeoPro is not an Alpha. It meets almost all my needs and I can pay five times as much for silky focussing; Arthur :scribe:

The Meopro that I recieved had very nice focusing. I found it to be
silky smooth. I may have just gotten an excellent sample in terms of the focus. The optics are real nice too.
I only returned it for a smaller 6x32 binocular (Katmai) which doubles as a compact since it is so small.
But, the Meopro has better resolution overall. I think most people would like this binocular if they are looking for a lower power.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back