• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for advice on a bridge camera (1 Viewer)

greenfrog

I'm in the same situation as many people. I am looking at the Canon SX40 price range and it seemes to be the best camera. Better than the HS20/30 and the FZ150 also the p500 p510.

Only downside I hear from it is that its auto focus and shutter lag isn't good, which takes me thinking about going for a FX150...buuut another dilemma that the FZ150 doesn't have nearly as much zoom at the sx40 and zoom is important to me. I want to be able to just see a bird/animal, auto focus quick n get a good snapshot (what everyone want's right?) without having to spend thousands on an SLR.

I'm not sure if there are newer models which are better but not at a super price increase?

I really want something that can shoot quick as I'm shooting wildlife and not still objects but also have at least 30x zoom. Budget is 100-200 quid I guess. I don't mind ebay used.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I'm in the same situation as many people. I am looking at the Canon SX40 price range and it seemes to be the best camera. Better than the HS20/30 and the FZ150.

Only downside I hear from it is that it is a bit slow and can get motion blur, which takes me thinking about going for a FX150...buuut another dilemma that the FZ150 doesn't have nearly as much zoom at the sx40 and zoom is important to me. I want to be able to just see a bird/animal, auto focus quick n get a good snapshot (what everyone want's right?) without having to spend thousands on an SLR.

I'm not sure if there are newer models which are better but not at a super price increase?

I really want something that can shoot quick as I'm shooting wildlife and not still objects but also have at least 30x zoom. Budget is 100-200 quid I guess. I don't mind ebay used.

Thanks for any help.

Cant go wrong with the SX40 if thats your price bracket - dont see too much motion blur on my avatar :t:

The canon SX50 is an upgrade to the SX40. If you can wait, the price of the SX50 should start to go down as canon readies to release an SX60 in maybe late spring. I have both. The 50 is better that the 40 in every way except for low light.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back