• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Animal Photography with the Canon SX60HS (1 Viewer)

i use avidemux 2.5,its free and saves the pics at 1920x1080,its also fast to use you just pause the vid press ctrl + e and put in a name for the jpg ,below is an unedited still from my godwit video ,the pic was only resized

Attachments

• bfxx.jpg
    bfxx.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
those are really nice shots adam, did you do any editing ?,next time I am out I am going to experiment with the video on birds in flight, the autofocus on video mode might make it easier to get a bif pic worth keeping

Yeah only v basic editing - just adjusted contrast. The autofocus could be quicker though - when filming the Bonaparte's above it lost focus as the bird swung quickly around which was a shame as those segments would've made for some great grabs!

I'm finding this "grab from video" function useful on my Nikon.
The Nikon does the grab in-camera, and what I have noticed is that you aren't offered a choice of 30 stills per second, so I don't think it's grabbing a frame.

I'm thinking does the camera / software need a number of frames combined in order to make a still? or does it offer random frames?

If so, the flight grabs might still be a challenge, but I am keen to try this also. It could also be very useful for something flitting thru the undergrowth not allowing a clean shot

Peter

Some great advice on this thread, reckon I'll be coming back a lot over the next few weeks. Next up will be messing about with tv & av to learn the relative merits of each.

Thanks again all.

James

Hi All

So, I've taken the plunge and bought a Canon SX60. I was wondering if some kind soul would give me instructions on some basic settings on the camera to get me going on bird photography. (I own and use a Canon 7D + 400mm lens for most of my photography but now I am getting old and decrepit, am too lazy to carry it everywhere and usually take rubbish photos using AV mostly!)

Thanks in advance

Sue

hi sue,calvinfold posted some settings on this page http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=291649&page=16 (post 391)I found this useful as previously I was getting a lot of washed out pics,i use both tv and av mode,its important with this camera to limit the iso,if you don't the camera will continually pick a much higher setting than is needed,if you are going to be using any of the converters you will have to get used to holding the button on the left of the lense (bottom button)its annoying at first but you do get used to it,below are some pics taken in the rain

Attachments

• rock pipit rainb.jpg
    rock pipit rainb.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 113
  • whitethroatb.jpg
    whitethroatb.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 113
  • goldfinch2b.jpg
    goldfinch2b.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 116
  • wpidg.jpg
    wpidg.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 76
hi sue,calvinfold posted some settings on this page http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=291649&page=16 (post 391)I found this useful as previously I was getting a lot of washed out pics,i use both tv and av mode,its important with this camera to limit the iso,if you don't the camera will continually pick a much higher setting than is needed,if you are going to be using any of the converters you will have to get used to holding the button on the left of the lense (bottom button)its annoying at first but you do get used to it,below are some pics taken in the rain

Thank you for this I will give it a go!

Sue

Just saying Hello to everyone and wishing everyone an nice and enjoyable day.
My best regards from England.

Hi Woodcock and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us; if you need any help navigating the site, please don't be afraid to ask.

another 4 from yesterday

Attachments

• y1b.jpg
    y1b.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 173
  • sthrushb.jpg
    sthrushb.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 101
  • whtroatb.jpg
    whtroatb.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 89
  • rabbitb.jpg
    rabbitb.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 98
3 pics from today,lapwing and heron taken at full 247mm with the 1.6 converter switched on

Attachments

• redshank.JPG
    redshank.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 158
  • lapwing.JPG
    lapwing.JPG
    254.4 KB · Views: 168
  • heron.JPG
    heron.JPG
    277.5 KB · Views: 141
came across a garden moth caterpillar yesterday,flipped out the screen and lay the camera on the ground, I had to use exposure comp on the 2 bird pics,the puffin was high up on a cliff

Attachments

• garden tiger moth.jpg
    garden tiger moth.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 92
  • lssbg.jpg
    lssbg.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 102
  • puffin.jpg
    puffin.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 155
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back