• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7x42 Meostar B1 (1 Viewer)

oldfortyfive

Just acquired my first Meopta for what is becoming a binocular collection.
Very happy with them. In my basement test of the dark corners they rivaled my Swaros. Only down side to the Meopta's is that they are heavier than most.

I tend to favor the lower powers. They generally work better with glasses and you really don’t see that much more until you get to the 12x plus. Plus the wider FOV is a real plus.

Chuck,

Nice o-rings looks clean factory installed, reminds me of the o-rings in my older Nikonos Diving cameras.

A.W.

Congrats to your great purchase.

Unfortunately these binos are no longer available from Meopta. They ceased production just recently.

A question to your impressions concerning the image color. Some people state that the Meostar 7x42 B delivers a slightly yellow tint. Is that true?

Elmer Fudd, post 7,
No that is not true and if you want to see why, look at the test report of different 7x42 binoculars on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor chapter "Verrekijkers testen en vergelijken and look also at the transmission spectra.
Gijs van Ginkel

Unfortunately these binos are no longer available from Meopta. They ceased production just recently.

A question to your impressions concerning the image color. Some people state that the Meostar 7x42 B delivers a slightly yellow tint. Is that true?

We purchased all Meopta's remaining inventory of this great glass and we are offering these for only $649.99 while the supply lasts

Have not noticed it.

I notice sometimes a slightly yellower tint in my Meostar 7x42 (produced propably in 2015) compared to my Swarovski 8x32 SV FP. But I find the Meopta's image most of the time more natural than the somewhat colder one of the Swaro. But I would judge the colour fidelity of both glasses as good and natural.

Only once, the Meostar showed too much yellow in my eyes - there was a lot of fresh snow that was certainly white! (Or did my brain correct it to white?)

One question, Chuck: Do you think that there is a big difference regarding the image quality between the Meostar and the Leica Ultravid HD+, when compared in the field?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Chuck,

You have done it again, I pulled the trigger and got one, as you said the price is right and since the only glass I have in this format is a Docter 7X40 IF. A suitable glass I can even use for the sky out at night taking a walk, looking forward to it.

A.W.

Thanks for the link, Chuck! I missed your first post in that thread, comparing both binoculars.

I could once look through both glasses during the same hour - but unfortunately not simultaneously. So I couldn't make a direct comparison, but I remember I could not discern any optical differences.

Well, the Meostar is not HD and therefore shows a bit of chromatical aberration (CA). My right eye is slightly weaker than my left one, so I cannot achieve the same contrasty image. My Swaro 8x32 SV, which has perfect correction of CA, has more reserves, so there is not such a big discrepancy between both eyes. That is of course a fault of my eyes, not of the binoculars. You wrote in the other thread that both glasses were comparable in handling with CA - so I don't need the Leica.

I use the Meostar in forests (very nice depth of field, no rolling ball), the Swaro in open landscapes (extreme detail recognition).

Mark

Chuck,

You have done it again, I pulled the trigger and got one, as you said the price is right and since the only glass I have in this format is a Docter 7X40 IF. A suitable glass I can even use for the sky out at night taking a walk, looking forward to it.

A.W.

I think you'll like it Andy. Without a doubt it's the best 7X42 on the market for that amount of money. I could easily see it as anyones primary binocular.

Thanks for the link, Chuck! I missed your first post in that thread, comparing both binoculars.

I could once look through both glasses during the same hour - but unfortunately not simultaneously. So I couldn't make a direct comparison, but I remember I could not discern any optical differences.

Well, the Meostar is not HD and therefore shows a bit of chromatical aberration (CA). My right eye is slightly weaker than my left one, so I cannot achieve the same contrasty image. My Swaro 8x32 SV, which has perfect correction of CA, has more reserves, so there is not such a big discrepancy between both eyes. That is of course a fault of my eyes, not of the binoculars. You wrote in the other thread that both glasses were comparable in handling with CA - so I don't need the Leica.

I use the Meostar in forests (very nice depth of field, no rolling ball), the Swaro in open landscapes (extreme detail recognition).

Mark

You are welcome!

Consider that Gigs van Ginkel did a transmission study with both the UVHD+ and and the B.1 7X42s. Light transmission at 550nm was 90.9% for the B.1 and 88.2% for the UVHD+.

7x42 B1

Well it arrived today, many thanks to Doug at Cameraland, Inc. for his offering/transaction of this glass. Just got a quick view and a pic to show size next to (Nikon SE 10X42 and EDG 8X42). My first modern premier glass in this format (7X42). This is a very good glass, and the weight is well distributed with the thumb inserts. Will know this more this Sunday.

A.W.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back