• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit id help - South India (1 Viewer)

ajayr

Hi

Saw this pipit yesterday (18-Mar-18). Would appreciate any help in id-ing it.

Thanks
Ajay

Attachments

• Pipit1.JPG
    Pipit1.JPG
    670.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Pipit2.jpg
    Pipit2.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Pipit3.JPG
    Pipit3.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 42
I'm leaning towards Blyth's - Pale lores, short tail and weak malar stripes. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: But the bill is confusing me very much. Would really value any help here.

Thanks
Ajay

Last edited:
The birds tail being too short for Richards Pipit rules that species out IMHO

Referring to the most helpful article in the link above one can see that the median coverts of a Blythe's Pipit have "diamond shaped" dark areas surrounded by the pale fringe to the median covert.

Looking at these birds I get the impression the median coverts on this bird likewise shows the diamond shaped median covert

Should others perhaps more experienced and knowledgeable than myself concur on this point it would be good to hear.

The birds tail being too short for Richards Pipit rules that species out IMHO

Referring to the most helpful article in the link above one can see that the median coverts of a Blythe's Pipit have "diamond shaped" dark areas surrounded by the pale fringe to the median covert.

Looking at these birds I get the impression the median coverts on this bird likewise shows the diamond shaped median covert

Should others perhaps more experienced and knowledgeable than myself concur on this point it would be good to hear.

Thanks a lot. It is interesting that you mention median coverts.

That was another area that confused me besides the bill. This link below says that is one difference between an adult Blyth's and Richard's.

https://britishbirds.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/article_files/V87/V87_N03/V87_N03_P136_142_A035.pdf

According to it, "Adult and some first-winter Blyth's Pipits show median coverts with less-triangular and more square black centres, less diffuse on the sides, and with generally paler, broader and less rufous-tinged tips than those of Richard's."

As you say, would be good to hear from the experts. Thanks very much again.

Cheers
Ajay

To me this pipit appears to have a faint, narrow loral-stripe and I would think this was a Paddyfield Pipit. The median coverts are not the right pattern for Blyth's Pipit and it doesn't look right structurally for a Richard's Pipit. I agree that call is often the most helpful feature in the field though.

Cheers

Roy

To me this pipit appears to have a faint, narrow loral-stripe and I would think this was a Paddyfield Pipit. The median coverts are not the right pattern for Blyth's Pipit and it doesn't look right structurally for a Richard's Pipit. I agree that call is often the most helpful feature in the field though.

Cheers

Roy

Thanks. This was something I was hoping would be raised. The bill and the median coverts to me didn't fit a Blyth's. I was wondering if this was just a paddyfield's with a paler lore than normal.

Cheers
Ajay

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back