• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 10x50 - Initial thoughts (1 Viewer)

Samolot

Some of you may know that I have been out on the prowl searching for "the one" binocular. Naturally, there is no such thing. Therefore one begins to prioritize certain features over others to hopefully lead to one set of optics that will be rendered most satisfying. Ones perception of the view through a set of binoculars is highly subjective, therefore I have spent many hours in different bird stores and optics shops that have been generous enough to provide me with whatever sample I needed to determine what I liked an didn't like.

In a nutshell, I wanted a 10x power (good reach, but not too much for handheld use), but with sufficient aperture for viewing in all different types of conditions, a real all-rounder. Weight wasn't a concern for me. Ergonomics were, as was a wide field of view. This lead me to the 10x50 EL's.

What a stunning set of binoculars. While not for everyone, I felt like I found a real gem. I got a new set, with the field pro set up, which I find delightful to use. I picked up a harness as well to off-set some of the weight some my shoulders which works incredibly well.

The image is one of the best I have seen - wonderfully bright, crisp and cool, sharp to the very edge. No noticeable CA. And for some odd reason, with the 10x50 set up, the view is Quasi-three-dimensional! (Something I really appreciated after a few weeks with the Nikon EII 8x30).

I have many more thoughts on them, which I will sprinkle into this thread later, but rather than bore readers, I feel more inclined to answer any questions you may have as you search for your own pair!

I have tried and can compare this pair to the following: Leica Noctovid 8x and 10x, Ultravid HD+ 8x32 and 8x42 , Zeiss SF 10x42, 8x42, Conquest HD 8x42, Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, HG 8x42, EII 8x30, Swaro EL 8x32, 8.5x42, 10x42, SLC 8x42, Fujinon 10x50.

Noteables that I have not tried: Leica Ultravid HD+ 10x50, Swaro SLC: 10x56 and 15x56.

I have also acquired a Berlebach tripod adapter for the EL's. I got it from the manufacture directly so I could get the Hunter green version. The combination looks incredible.

Attachments

• IMG_8561.jpg
    IMG_8561.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 218
...The image is one of the best I have seen - wonderfully bright, crisp and cool, sharp to the very edge. No noticeable CA. And for some odd reason, with the 10x50 set up, the view is Quasi-three-dimensional! (Something I really appreciated after a few weeks with the Nikon EII 8x30)...

Sam,

Although with SP prisms, the EL 10X50SV roof has a 9mm greater objective distance than any ocular IPD setting. IMHO, this is enough offset to offer a very nice picture window step in view with an excellent stereopsis DOF. I also do not see CA in the EL 10X50, but it has to be bad for me to notice "in any optics" as I'm not very sensitive to CA.

These 10X50 SV's aren't perfect, but like you, their overall image and handling has won me over...still haven't found a better package yet! :t:

Ted

Something that won me over is the Swaro service. When I got this pair, one of the eyecups would not extend as smoothly as the other one. The dealer I bought these from contacted Swaro on my behalf and I received first-rate service from that point on. I received two new eye cups in the mail and was given another eyecup rainguard to use as the original was snapped onto the harness. I easily replaced the faulty eye cup and now I can say these are just wonderful.

On an unrelated note - What's peculiar to me is that the EL's have a "cooler" image than any other binocular I tested. Meopta's are "warm" and the Zeiss SF's looked "greener" to me.

Something that won me over is the Swaro service. When I got this pair, one of the eyecups would not extend as smoothly as the other one. The dealer I bought these from contacted Swaro on my behalf and I received first-rate service from that point on. I received two new eye cups in the mail and was given another eyecup rainguard to use as the original was snapped onto the harness. I easily replaced the faulty eye cup and now I can say these are just wonderful.

On an unrelated note - What's peculiar to me is that the EL's have a "cooler" image than any other binocular I tested. Meopta's are "warm" and the Zeiss SF's looked "greener" to me.

Swarovski Service is second to None!! :king:

To my eyes, I find the 10X50 SV (and all the ELs) to have a neutral and very accurate Color Fidelity...directly comparable to my unaided sight visionary FOV! I also find the HT has a very accurate and natural presentation of the color spectrum! However, find my Victory FL 7X42's and the SF's I've used having "very slight" color hue favors (FL=greenish, SF=blueish)?!

Simply, we All See Differently and will form our opinions and experiences accordingly! B :)

Ted

Just another reason why Swaro USA continues to kick Lieca's a$$$ up and down the block. When setting up our G&O programs with various optics companies, Leica Sport Optics USA was a complete joke. Their CS, sales, marketing teams were horrible, and that's putting it nicely.

Although I was a longtime Leica user/fan (cameras too), and still use a UV 32, I've begun to appreciate why Swaro is the market leader today. The full-sized choice for me boiled down to EL 50 or SLC 56... and I went with the 10x56, which you might be interested in comparing sometime. Somewhat larger, yet not that much heavier, a lovely bright clear view, and amazing in low light. They simply sparkle. (+12mm stereopsis, for what that's worth.) I used to think I preferred the warmer tone of Leicas, but the SLC has changed my mind.

The Leica 10X50 UVHD+ is a great glass, additionally I have been also getting used to the flat field SV 10X50. So far I prefer the SV for astro, along with the SLC 15X56 (flat field is preferred for astro). I love the Leica for daytime viewing, along with the FL, in fact I prefer a non-flat view during daytime viewing. Overall with respect to the flat field, Nikon IMO are the best, the EDG 10X42 and 8X42 provide me with a very relaxed but not too extreme of a flat field to notice the barrel when panning.
There are sacrifices to any glass that is sharp to the edge. If one is on the fence about a light, premium 10X50, the Leica 10X50 UVHD+ gets my recommendation it is a bright glass that provides great contrast. It gives me the WOW every-time I use it, try it you may like it.

By the way - to me, the FL T grabs more light than the Swaro and Leica 10X50s allowing me to see more objects in the night sky, 6mm more aperture makes a difference at the same mag. on the night sky. (perhaps the AK prisms have something to do with it also. The only glass I am looking to add is the SLC 10X56, I am looking forward to spend some time with that one, like the FL it has AK prisms.

Just my subjective opinion, others mileage will vary.

oh by the way, the FL T 10X42 is a new glass to me, enjoying it, like a feather after using the 10X56. For less than half the price when new (in new unused condition), the best bargain out there and I know nothing will break or fall off during use.

Andy W.

Ive heard interesting things about the FL series from various optics dealers. Apparently QC was a huge issue and a lot of people were returning to FL's and replacing with SF's.

I went to the Leica store here in Boston to try out the 10x50 UVHD+ which unfortunately they did not have in stock.

I forgot to mention it in my OP list, but each time I go to that store, I try the 7x42 UVHD+. Sensationally good glass in my opinion. Super stable to hold, the colors pop, and the DOF is incredible.

Both the SV and HD+ 10X50s are great glass in their own right, just different.
Well we agree to disagree about the build quality of the FL and the SF. I think many wanted to get the new glass just because it was new. I think the FL will go down as one of the most popular and reliable designs from Zeiss, and as I said before, they sold many. I do not fault the optics in the SF 8X42, just build quality/design.

Andy W,

My apologies, I meant FT*. The FL's look great - I have my eye on the 8x32. Saw a beat up one on Ebay heavily discounted and was trying to see what Zeiss thought of it in terms of repair - they advised not to get it.

My apologies, I meant FT*. The FL's look great - I have my eye on the 8x32. Saw a beat up one on Ebay heavily discounted and was trying to see what Zeiss thought of it in terms of repair - they advised not to get it.

There are no Zeiss FT* binoculars.
So, not sure what you are getting at.

I’ll have to remind myself to never post before my morning coffee. I meant to write HT. The Zeiss HT supposedly had coating issues which led to a lot of returns. I’ve heard wonderful things about the SF and FL’s. My apologies for the consistent confusion.

Samolot,

We have all been there. Beginning to really enjoy the SV 10X50, working on getting used to eyecups, bridge etc, Tonight on the east coast there will be a dark sky, get those glass ready for viewing the night sky.

Andy W.

I’ll have to remind myself to never post before my morning coffee. I meant to write HT. The Zeiss HT supposedly had coating issues which led to a lot of returns. I’ve heard wonderful things about the SF and FL’s. My apologies for the consistent confusion.

Ok, thanks for clearing that out.
I don't think I have seen anything about that anywhere,
so I probably would take it with a grain of salt.

Hi
Before you buy the 10x50 el
Have a look at the new 56mm slc range, the slc 56mm range has been overhauled with the ak prism
Light transmission is amazing 93%
I have just traded my kowa 883 scope for a pair of slc 15x56
These are now my everyday bins replacing my very old 8x42 vs Leica and I no longer need to carry a scope
The image quality is stunning a so easy to hand hold they are easier to half hold than the 12x50 el that I had about s year ago and so much brighter and suprisingly compact for a bin ifvthis size and they dont feel any heavier than a good pair of 8x42 around your neck
If you have a dealer near you the check out the slc 56mm
Guarantee you wont believe how good they are

Chris

Last edited:
I have the 15X56 SLC and the 10X50 EL, different glass, different use. I use my SLC primarily for astronomy. One could compare the 10X56 SLC (which I am curious about) to the EL 10x50, but at 43 oz many would rather carry the EL 10X50 at 35-36 oz during the day. The SLCs 56s are much heavier than any 8X42 around the neck. Another 10X50 to look at is the Leica UVHD+.

Andy W.

The 10x50's have been doing a lovely job of what I need them to do. They are a very good looking pair of binoculars, ergonomically just fine in my hands. The view is quasi-three-dimensional, and fully bright as I need them. On the night sky, with the berlebach tripod adapter, they are also wonderful. We have been getting some really nice views of jupiter and venus up here in the northeast lately. Its been a pleasure and a joy to use them. I am sure the SLC's are wonderful as well, but size ultimately does play an important factor for me. I hike with the EL's using swaro's bino harness and the weight is just fine for me.

I played with the UVHD+ line at my local leica store. The 7x42 is impeccable. However, I do experience more kidney bean blackouts using this line of binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back