• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair price? (1 Viewer)

AJB123

I'm sure this sort of question has been asked many times so i'm sorry to have to ask again but having recently 'missed out' on what were a bargain pair of 8x42 slc's, i need to act quickly to secure these next offered bins. Locally advertised Leica 10x42ba in good condition, with strap, cup covers etc for £400? Good value? Fair price? What are your thoughts please? Regards Tony

Last edited:
The Leica Trinovid BA was discontinued in 2000 when the Leica Trinovid BN was introduced which had closer focusing ability but it looked exactly the same; so you know that any Leica Trinovid BA is at least 17 years old.

I don't know what the value of a 10x42 Trinovid BA would be. They, like the Trinovid BNs, were built like tanks and many of them probably will be in use for years to come.

I would hang in there and keep looking for a good used SLC which would have more up to date coatings.

Bob

Hi Tony,
The Leica Trinovid 10x BA is a bit like a big brick,I find it's not nice to handle and compact like the 8x32BA / BN is, which I would expect to pay between £350 - £400 for a very good used one. I had a 10x BN and sold it, I didnt like the ergonomics much and the BA series had the older coatings, which were updated for the BN series,. I know the Swaro SLC is also weighty, but to me it has better balance and much better optics. The Price? well, no more than fair, it is not value or a bargain at that price. Also, around that price, £400 - £500 used, I like the Zeiss 10x or 8x Dialyt BGA T* much better than the Leica BA. That's my thoughts anyway. Good luck. Ben

For a 10x42 BA, I would not pay that. You miss out on a transferrable warranty as with the Swarovski/Zeiss, and get poor close focus and high weight. The view is nice but not amazing compared to current second tier models (e.g. Razor HD, Conquest HD, etc.), and I'd actually prefer most/all of the second tiers to that Leica.

Hi Tony, if you are in the west midlands, you could do a lot worse than to call into focus optics at Corley and speak with Tim. He usually has a decent selection of secondhand kit which is very competitively priced. You can always give him a ring and have a chat - I have and he has always been very friendly and helpful - to see what they have in stock. Further afield I'd highly recommend cley spy - same again, great pressure free service and a good deal of quality secondhand kit. Hope this helps.

fair price

Thanks for that Dan, i have recently bought some Swaro slc 10x50's so for now i'm sorted. I'll give him a shout when i next consider buying. Atb Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back