• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

Excellent early morning shift today produced a Winter plumage Black Tailed Godwit on the workings until 07:15 when it was lost to view. Also had a fly through Hobby, 1st of the year, & male Yellow Wagtail on the workings.

John.

This morning's tally;12 Common Tern, 2 Lapwing, min of 5 LRP, Buzzard, Little Grebe, Skylark, Reed Bunting, 2 Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler, 4 Blackcap, 4 Chiffchaff, 10 Whitethroat, 2 Reed Warbler, Gadwall, & min of 20 Sand Martin.
Also had brief views of a poss Common Sand that disappeared behind an island on the workings. Still no Greenshank or Ringed Plover yet!

John.

First trip to Tices this year, late morning

5 Common Tern, Garden Warbler, Chiffchaff, Whitethroat, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 1 Lapwing, Skylark and two Roe Deer.

It was really nice to be back on such a lovely day.

Allan

Quick evening visit 18:45 - 19:45 tonight produced good no's of Hirundines, mainly Sand Martins, over the workings, 8 Common Terns (a pair observed mating), 2 LRP, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler & 2 Reed Warblers.

John.

A mid afternoon trip that saw me tick off yet another new birder! Whitethroats and Blackcaps 'alles űber die platz' with my first Lesser Whitethroat on the embankment. Surprisingly only 1 Willow Warbler and 1 Chiffchaff singing on site although there were 3 Reed Warblers and 1 Sedge Warbler singing in the silt pond reed beds. 4 LRPs and 1 Lapwing seen and 1 Redshank heard but not located. Wildfowl numbers remain static with 5 Gadwall, 8 Tufted Duck, 1 drake Shoveler and 1 Greylag amongst the Canada Geese; the latter with 2 goslings.

Birds over included 1 Little Egret and 1 Buzzard with many Sand Martins. Black-headed Gulls were seen mating and Common Tern numbers increased to 10.

Rich

Last edited:
Day off today so spent the morning at Tices & was rewarded with a good selection of birds. Summer plumaged Dunlin & a Common Sandpiper were present on the workings along with a min of 4 LRP's. Three Reed & 1 Sedge Warbler singing in the reedbed along with the omnipresent Reed Buntings. Raptors seen were Buzzard & Sparrowhawk, other species included 2 Garden Warblers, 4 Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, 8 Whitethroat, 2 Stock Dove, 9 Common Tern, 2 Little Grebe, & a very late drake Teal on the silt pond.

John.

This morning's watch very similar to yesterday, the Dunlin & Common Sand still present along with 5 LRP & an increase in Common Tern no's to 12. I see that a large passage of Bar Tailed Godwits has been noted at other SE sites this morning, maybe one/some might drop in later!
Interestingly I heard what I thought was a calling Redshank this morning which in fact turned out to be mimicry by a Song Thrush!

John.

No sign of the Dunlin this morning but did have a Green Sand which flew from the meadow onto the silt pool. Common Sand still present on the workings along with min of 4 LRP. Also noted 3 Shoveler this morning, the first I've had for a few weeks.

John.

Good Wader tally this morning, 3 Common Sands, 1 Green Sand, 2 Lapwing, 6 LRP, & the first Ringed Plover of the Spring on the workings. Also a full set of Hirundines, 30+ Sand martin, 1 House Martin, 2 Swallows, & 2 Swift. Other highlight this morning was 3 male Wheatears on the meadow.

John.

Last edited:
Spectacular morning at Tices today, arrived at 06:15 to find Grey Plover, (a site first I think), Greenshank, Ringed Plover, 6 LRP, 2 Common Sands, & Green Sand on the workings. A Peregrine flew through, & singles of Yellow & White Wagtails were also found on the workings. Happy with my morning's work, I was walking back along the bank when 5 Whimbrel flew over me into the workings. I dashed back & located them after a search. Sadly they flew off North at approx 09:10, however I then found 2 Female Wheatears on the meadow.
Days like this make all those early morning starts worthwhile!

John.

Spectacular morning at Tices today, arrived at 06:15 to find Grey Plover, (a site first I think), Greenshank, Ringed Plover, 6 LRP, 2 Common Sands, & Green Sand on the workings. A Peregrine flew through, & singles of Yellow & White Wagtails were also found on the workings. Happy with my morning's work, I was walking back along the bank when 5 Whimbrel flew over me into the workings. I dashed back & located them after a search. Sadly they flew off North at approx 09:10, however I then found 2 Female Wheatears on the meadow.
Days like this make all those early morning starts worthwhile!

John.
Great morning, John. I didn't manage to get down today. Does anyone know if the Grey Plover stayed all day. What sort of plumage was it in?

John

Hi John,

It wasn't there when I went back this afternoon after seeing a report of a Barwit, only the Greenshank was present on the workings. The Plover was moulting into Summer plumage.

Cheers,

John.

Greenshank still present on the workings this morning, also 2 Common Sands, 4 LRP, & female Wheatear.

John.

Return visit this afternoon added a Yellow Wagtail on the workings, Greenshank still present on the meadow.

John.

Tices meadow 5th May

Fairly quiet 1015-1100 hrs this morning. A summer plumage Dunlin and adult Lesser Black-backed Gull the only migrants about. At least 9 Common Terns, 33 Black-headed Gulls, 4+ LRPs and 2 prs of Canadas with broods of 2 yg each.

John

18:00 - 19:00 today, Dunlin, Common Sandpiper, c6 LRP, 11 Common Tern, 3 Reed Warbler, Garden Warbler, 2 Lapwing.

John.

With heavy shower forecast overnight and on Saturday evening and the wind from the south could it be a good weekend for waders at Tices?

Kevin

Ps A Spoonbill from Pulborough Brooks would be nice.

Last edited:
No Spoonbill this morning I'm afraid, waited till the rain subsided & then headed down to the workings. After a search 2 Ringed Plovers were located, along with a Common Sand, 5 LRP, & 2 Lapwing.

John.

No Spoonbill this morning I'm afraid, waited till the rain subsided & then headed down to the workings. After a search 2 Ringed Plovers were located, along with a Common Sand, 5 LRP, & 2 Lapwing.

John.

John

I was also dissappointed to find only 2 new Ringed Plovers during my search of wader spots in Northwest Surrey today. But was lucky to find a wandering Glossy Ibis in Bucks (the first since 1886) after a tip off one had left Dinton Pastures in Berkshire this morning.
Its only c24km north of Tices Meadow so you never know!

Would be the first for Surrey I think since 2007,14 flying over Addlestone (not sure if this was BBRC passed) before this the last was back in the 1800's.

Kevin

06:00 - 07:00
Very quiet again early this morning, no waders on show apart from 4 LRP. Best birds were 2 Cuckoos that flew over NW at approx 06:15.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back