• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (2 Viewers)

According number of maps listed in VOL II , compare with MSW3, there will be only 9 more species in all 12 Families(except Bovidae)!

My mistake, is only 4 additional splits + bovidae(There 17 families in Vol II not 12)
In Vol. I there are 258 listed maps (13 family + 245 species accounts).
In Vol. II they listed 431 maps.
17 family maps
279 Bovidae maps
131 maps for all species in another 16 families (MSW3 = Taxonomy in Vol I)
Only 4 free positons left?

I´ve received a notification directly from Lynx/Elisa Badia (sales manager) who inform that due to technical difficulties the publication date is re-scheduled to the end of August and distribution of HMW2 will start in September.

Regards // Jonas

Somebody help! I'm considering buying these two volumes of HMW...but they are quite pricey. Tell me the artwork stinks and the information lacking...someone please talk me out of it!!

Depends on how into mammals you are. IMHO, the book is a necessary buy, since unlike birds, the variety of field guides for mammals out there is pretty small, and this promises to be an important reference for the odd critter seen in an exotic location.

Depends on how into mammals you are. IMHO, the book is a necessary buy, since unlike birds, the variety of field guides for mammals out there is pretty small, and this promises to be an important reference for the odd critter seen in an exotic location.

Ditto. The majority of places have bird field guides now - of varying quality - many places don't have mammal ones. I feel my Birthday/Christmas presents are sorted for a fair few years.

Well, I just purchased the set. Question is, do you think they will ship together in September? Or might the first volume arrive first? In part, reading the sample family text on the rhinoceroses clinched it...soooo interesting!

I have gone ahead and ordered the new Colin Groves book on Interlibrary loan. When I get a chance I will post a taxonomic list.

I know Groves is a strict adherent to the Phylogenetic species concept, so should be interesting reading (For instant, in a recent paper he split the Sika into I think 4 species!)

Just to answer my own question...yes, if you buy the two-volume set lynx will ship the first volume (carnivores) first. I received my copy the other day.

Very impressive work, indeed...pretty much on par with what I was expecting. The plates are great, the photographs lovely, the information extensive. Sure, there are some things that I would have liked seen--political boundaries in the distribution maps, different colors on the maps (when feasible, to differentiate subsp. bounds...only for clearly differentiated subsp or subsp groups), more subsp. information in each species account, weight/length in both metric and standard (is that the correct term?) units--but those are rather minor quibbles.

Just to answer my own question...yes, if you buy the two-volume set lynx will ship the first volume (carnivores) first. I received my copy the other day.

Very impressive work, indeed...pretty much on par with what I was expecting. The plates are great, the photographs lovely, the information extensive. Sure, there are some things that I would have liked seen--political boundaries in the distribution maps, different colors on the maps (when feasible, to differentiate subsp. bounds...only for clearly differentiated subsp or subsp groups), more subsp. information in each species account, weight/length in both metric and standard (is that the correct term?) units--but those are rather minor quibbles.

Just to tease you: metric is actually the standard in everything scientific (smile)

Niels

Just to tease you: metric is actually the standard in everything scientific (smile)

Niels

Yes, I was going to go along the same lines, like "metric and awkward" or so. ;)

But the non-metric values would definitely be useful, as one does find these in many sources.

Also, I have mentioned that somewhere long ago, I simply can't see why the range maps do not include introduced areas where a species has been well established. These books are meant to provide up-to-date info. And I'd like to know how widespread the raccoon is in Europe these days. But one can't retrieve that info from the species accounts.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back