• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bald headed Northern Cardinals (1 Viewer)

aaron1956

aaron1956
I took these photos yesterday and today at the same location, Goose Island State Park in Rockport, Texas. This park is on the lower Tx coast.
When I first saw these I thought they were Pyrrhuloxia, as I have never seen one before and cardinals are very common. After doing a little research I found out they are indeed Northern Cardinals and this has been observed quite often.
I will try to attach a link I found also.

http://www.farmanddairy.com/columns...tery-of-what-causes-bald-cardinals/15565.html

Have any of you ever encountered this?

Attached are photos of a male and a female.

Attachments

• Bald Cardinal 101.jpg
    Bald Cardinal 101.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 53
  • mini-Cardinal034.jpg
    mini-Cardinal034.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 44
Have seen and photographed Northern Cardinals like that. Both in the wild and in the yard. Also Blue Jays, that I know which DVD it's archived on. Something consistent seems to be the time frame that drives my experience. Cardinals showing the bald heads roughly now, or mid June to mid July. Blue Jays seeming to show symptoms in August. Both suggesting molt more than feather mites, in my mind. Have no other evidence. Below is one Blue Jay that turned up. Felt sorry for it, put out just a few peanuts for it.

Attachments

• Bald Blue Jay.jpg
    Bald Blue Jay.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 55
Both of these seemed to be perfectly healthy as far as I could tell. There were also several more "normal" cardinals in the same area. It sure compromises the looks of an otherwise beautiful bird. I hope they recover.
Thanks for the reply Bird_Bill.

Both of these seemed to be perfectly healthy as far as I could tell. There were also several more "normal" cardinals in the same area. It sure compromises the looks of an otherwise beautiful bird. I hope they recover.
Thanks for the reply Bird_Bill.

Yes, noticed the same in every instance, the birds seem robust & healthy otherwise.
Nor have I seen it every year. That seems to suggest a lice/mite infection.

This is normal and is seldom a tragedy. If it happens later in the summer, it's usually associated with molting of head feathers (birds molt differently). If it happens earlier, it's likely mites. In either case, the feathers grow back successfully. The bird may be shy for a while, or not have as much energy as its feathers re-grow. Don't worry if you don't see it.

This is normal and is seldom a tragedy. If it happens later in the summer, it's usually associated with molting of head feathers (birds molt differently). If it happens earlier, it's likely mites. In either case, the feathers grow back successfully. [...]
You know much about moult and moulting cycles I guess?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back