• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kazakhstan (1 Viewer)

The duck is a pretty standard female Eurasian wigeon. Not sure about some of the bunting races you get there , but it does look linnet like.

The bunting looks like a female Pine Bunting in transition between winter and summer plumage. It is also a common winter visitor to that area of north-east Kazakhstan. It does not appear to have any Yellowhammer genes but you cannot be too sure about this from looking at just one photograph.

Striolated Bunting (House is restricted to North Africa) is not known from Central Asia and is unlikley to wander thousands of miles north of its breeding areas in the Middle East/Iran/India where it is largely resident and does not look anything like the Kazakhstan bird.

S

Female Eur. Wigeon and (probable) fem. Pine Bunting. Although the Bunting is not showing any yellow, without a lot more photo's I couldn't be sure of it not being a hybrid.

Chris

Duck

Thanks.

The white wingbar indicates to Wigeon but the bill is very large to this duck. Version of Scooter is very interesting !!!

Askar. The bill should be blue for Wigeon and looks too big for me and with that distiinct sloping bridge to the upper mandible looks more Scoter to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back