• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Fremantle and his Lark (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
And here´s some small possible additions (and a tiny, tiny, minor amendment) on the HBWAlive Key entry for:
fremantlii
Maj. Guy Fremantle (b. 1867) British Army, collector in Somaliland 1896 (Pseudalaemon).
fremantlii
● in Short-tailed Lark (Spizocorys) Pseudalaemon fremantlii LORT PHILLIPS 1897 [OD here, Bulletin of the British Ornithologists' Club., 29th of May 1897 (also published in The Ibis, here), both] as "Caledula fremantli"

No explanation in either one, however see The Ibis 1898, pp: 382-425 (here)
… , and Mr. Guy Fremantle. […] … we anxiously awaited the arrival of the post, hoping that it would bring an extension of leave for Fremantle, who otherwise would have to leave us to rejoin his regiment. The post-bag, however, contained no reprieve, so he started homewards alone, to our great disappointment. [i.e. beginning of March 1897] …
[…] … we were startled one morning by a cheery well-known greeting, and in walked Fremantle, who had got his reprieve after all.
The bird in question is found on p.400-401 (here), now changed into "Pseudalæmon fremantlii", also on Plate IX (here, and attached)
I have named this new Lark after Mr. Guy Fremantle, who was a most enthusiastic collector.
= the British Army Officer (Coldstream Guards) Lieutenant, Captain (and later, in 1899, "Brevet Major") Guy Fremantle (1867fl.1903), collector in Somaliland (on Mr. E. Lort Phillips second* Expedition to the Goolis Mountains in 1897.

Guy Fremantle was apparently born on 26 May 1867) … married in 1899, ... retired in 1903 and after that he´s gone! **

See links; here, here and here.

Compare with the entries in Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names 2010 (attached) and The Eponym Dictionary of Birds 2014 (here).

However: Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Ethelbert E. Lort Phillips's first Expedition to the Goolis Mountains, Somaliland, was apparently made in 1894-1895. If Mr. Fremantle participated in that one as well I do not know.

**Mr. Fremantle might (!) have spent his retirement in Villa Pamela, Alassio, Italy, but if he truly did is unknown to me.
---

Attachments

• ibis47brit_0484.jpg
    ibis47brit_0484.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Jobling 2010.jpg
    Jobling 2010.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 44
Short addition ...

I don´t know the origin of this webpage, here, but "our" Guy Fremantle (born 1867) might, could, possibly have died in 1944 ...?
2.2.15.1.5.5.2.11.1.Guy Fremantle (26 May 1867-1944); m.7 Jun 1899 Alice Florence May (d.24 May 1908)
Same name, same birth date, same marriage date, same wife …

Neither do I know if it´s reliable! And what all those numbers at the start mean? I haven´t got a clue.

That´s all I can find on this man, take it for what it´s worth.

Mr. Fremantle ... over and out!
---

Last edited:
The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Short-tailed Lark Pseudalaemon fremantlii E. L. Phillips, 1897
Major Guy Fremantle (b.1867) was in the British Army in Somaliland, and collected there (1896). A man of the same rank and name, whom we believe to to be him, was also reported as in the Coldstream Guards and sailing from East London to London (1902) after the end of the Boer War, in which he served.

As here only abt. 1944 the death is still unclear. Maybe now the time to find it?

Maj Guy Fremantle
Birth26 May 1867 Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Marriage7 Jun 1899 Chelsea, Middlesex, England
Residence1939 Sussex, England
Death28 Feb 1944 Westminster, Middlesex, England
Father(Maj-Gen) Fitzroy William Fremantle (1836-1894)
MotherJulia Elizabeth Henrietta Campbell (1842-1910)
SpouseAlice Florence Seaburne-May (1847-1908)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back