• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eponyms and other names in South American journals (1 Viewer)

Wow! So I did "find" the "missing" Journal !? ;)

Not really, I didn´t even see it, nor understood it was there. Well spotted Laurent! You found it!

Regarding the various spelling of his names, it´s up to you guys, to use the proper versions in your respective language. Transcriptions of Cyrillic script is a problem dealt with differently in different languages, countries, traditions etc. etc. … that´s why I added both versions. In Swedish he is Mr. Lapchinskij!

Anyhow, we found him!

PS. Google translate is not to trust or rely on. It transcribes different in different search engines … but it´s a good way to give you a hint if you´re on the right track.

Gloria's Cuban green woodpecker

Poeyana. Revista Zoológica Cubana. La Habana.
1971 Xiphidiopicus percussus gloriae Garrido, 83, p. 6
… regarding the debated taxon "Xiphidiopicus percussus (insulaepinorum) "gloriae" GARRIDO 1971 – supposed to be endemic for Cayo Cantilles, (Archipiélago de los Canarreos), off the Southern coast North-Western Cuba (Southernmost part of Golfo del Batabanó) [most often incl. in X. p. insulaepinorum BANGS 1910]

= most likely the almost totally unknown Mrs. Gloria Agüeros (de Garrido, xxxxxxxx), entomologist, and (more important in this matter) wife and assistant of the Cuban zoologist Orlando H. Garrido* (1931– ), Curator, Zoology Department, of Museo Nacional de Historia Natural, in Havanna.

Although I haven´t seen the OD (from 1971) itself, the Author Orlando H. Garrido himself, and his colleauge Florentino García Montaña, published their Catálogo de de las Aves de la Cuba, 1975, (here), where they, in the entry for this gloriae, (on p. 79) certainly didn´t write a single word of who this name commemorate …

… but I think (!?) they gave us a clear hint in the Introductory pages, on p.8, with the ending sentence: "Y para concluir , la revisión y el trabajo meacanográfico de este catálogo estuvo a cargo de la compañera Gloria Agüeros, esposa del coautor Garrido, a quien expresamos nuestra gratitud por su valiosa cooperación. (See excerpt attached)

Anyone find this line of thought too far-fetched?

------------

*Mr. Garrido himself (herpetologist, entomologist and ornithologist, Author and co-author of for example; A Guide to the Birds of the West Indies, Field Guide to the Birds of Cuba etc. etc.) is claimed to be commemorated in the two lizards; Anolis garridoi DIAZ, ESTRADA & MORENO 1996 and Diploglossus garridoi THOMAS & HEDGES 1998. He is also supposedly a celebrated tennis-player (Wimbledon 1956-1961 and US Open 1959)! And still going strong (?) … at least in 2010 (here).
xxx

Attachments

• gloriae.jpg
    gloriae.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Four Hummingbird Eponyms …

Boletim do Museu de Biologia “Prof. Mello-Leitão”. Ser. Divulgacao. Santa Teresa
1965 Phaethornis pinheiroi Ruschi, 22 [?24], pp. 1+
1975 Phaethornis pretrei schwarti Ruschi, 82 [?83], pp. 1+
1975 Threnetes cristinae Ruschi, 83 [?82], pp. 1+
1978 Ramphodon naevius freitasi Ruschi, 93, pp. 1+
● 1965 Phaethornis pinheiroi Ruschi, 22 [?24], pp. 1+ [Syn. Scale-throated Hermit Phaethornis eurynome LESSON 1832] Link to OD here … is No. 24, from page 1:
"… uma nova sub-espécie, para a qual proponho o nome de Phaethornis eurynome pinheiroi Ruschi, em homenagem de gratidão ao Dr. Israel Pinheiro, que tanto tem contribuido para que prossiga em meus trabalhos de pesquisas e proteção e conservação dessas aves, instalando refúgios por tantos lugares do Brasil."

● 1975 Phaethornis pretrei schwarti Ruschi, 82 [?83], pp. 1+[most often considered a synonym of the monotypic Phaethornis pretrei LESSON & DELATTRE 1839] Link to OD here … from page 3:
"… e completar em companhia do membro do Club dos Exploradores da França, Sr. Marcel Isy-Schwart, resolvi publicar o presente trabalho, e considerar essa nova subspécie; ao mesmo tempo em que denominando-a, como uma homenagem a esse notável cinegrafista e escritor das coisas da natureza, que tão maravilhosos filmes e livros tem escrito sobre nossos indígenas e das coisas do Brasil."

● 1975 Threnetes cristinae Ruschi, 83 [?82], pp. 1+ [today a subspecies (as best) Threnetes (leucurus/niger) loehkeni "cristinae" a k a "Christine's Barbthroat"] Link to OD here… is No. 83, from page 1:
"… Esta nova espécie que descrevo a seguir é dedicada à Princesa Christina Maria do Rosário Bourbon de Orleans e Bragança, que nos acompanhou nessa excursão e viagem de estudos como assistente e cuja dedicação exalta seus méritos, graças ao amor que possui para com os animais e as plantas de nossa fauna e flora silvestres."

● 1978 Ramphodon naevius freitasi Ruschi, 93, pp. 1+ [Sometimes considered a subspecies, but most often treated as a synonym, of the monotypic Saw-billed Hermit Ramphodon naevius DUMONT 1818] Link to OD here … from page 2:
dedicando-a ao membro do Museu de Biologia Prof. Mello Leitão, coloborador assíduo em minhas excursões para estudos de beija-flores do Estado da Bahia, Snr. Raimundo de Freitas."

Note: The quotes above with reservation for my typing (not understanding any of it!) just typing away …

And even without understanding most of it I have to salute good old Augusto Ruschi. How easy our task trying to solve all these eponyms would have been if every Author was as out-spoken and wrote as much as he did!

Who those persons are? Or were?

I haven´t got a clue!
---

Last edited:
Mr. Freitas in "freitasi" …

In 1984 he is listed (by the same Augusto Ruschi) under the headline "Membros do Museu de Biologia Prof. Mello Leitão" as: Raimundo Freitas (here, page 5, line 14).

Thereby (especially since I don´t know the language or the Portuguese tradition of how names are written) it´s hard to tell either way, if his actual name was (or maybe still is?) Raimundo de Freitas or (simply) Raimundo Freitas!?

Unfortunately I haven´t been able to find any additional info of him, this far I would only vaguely claim that this freitasi is commemorating:
= the fairly unknown (most likely) Brazilian(?!) cacao planter Raimundo (de) Freitas (fl. from 1943 till at least 1984), collaborator and Member of the Museu de Biologia Prof. Mello Leitão, in Santa Teresa, Brazil – that accompanied and assisted Augusto Ruschi during his travels, studying Hummingbirds, in the Estado da Bahia Area, Brazil, when the Types of this bird was collected (the Male Holotype in 1943 and the Female one in 1956).

Not much, but that´s all … if I got it right!?

Can anyone else add something?
---

PS. A Google Book Search also gives you this, From National Geographic 1971 (Page 512): "Ruschi is probably the greatest living authority on hummingbirds, but he came to their study through his first love ... would seek out Senhor Raimundo Freitas, a cacao planter who had accompanied the doctor on his first visit to the area." (Link here)

Last edited:
Yet another missing South American Journal ...

Revista de la Sociedad Mexicana de Historia Natural. Mexico.
1966 Amazilia viridifrons wagneri Phillips, 25 (1964), pp. 217+

● The subspecies (or species?) Cinnamon-sided Hummingbird (Agyrtria) Amazilia (viridifrons) wagneri PHILLIPS 1964 as"Amazilia violiceps wagneri" was published in "Notas sistemáticas sobre aves mexicanas, III" by A. R. Phillips in Revista de la Sociedad Mexicana de Historia Natural 25 (Link to OD here):
"Me parece eminentemente justo y apropiado que el nombre de una chuparrosa mexicana honre al Sr. Helmuth O. Wagner, quien nos ha dado tantos datos e ideas interesantes sobre esta familia."
The same article also (among others) incl. the following new "taxa" (valid or not?), that might be worth noting:
"Cyanocorax coerulescens suttoni subsp. nov
[…]
Me es placentero dedicar esta ave a mi mentor y amigo, el ornitólogo y artista destacado de la Universidad de Oklahoma, el Dr. George Miksch Sutton."
Toxostoma lecontei macmillanorum, subsp. nov.
Cotipos: en la colección de Allan R. Phillips, depositada en el Instituto de Biología, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México; 1 macho ad. 1 macho inm.; 2
hembras inm.; todos de 13 km. al oeste de Buttonwillow, condado de Kern, California, 24 y 27 septiembre, 1953; colectados por Eben McMillan, núms. orig. 127,129a, 129b y 130.
[…]
Comentarios: en vista de las valiosas contribuciones de los McMillan, tanto en el estudio de la naturaleza de la región de Shandon, Cholame, y las áreas vecinas como en su conservación, me parece justo dedicarles esta raza; sobre todo en vista de que ésta ya está seriamente reducida en población y grandemente amenazada por la constante destrucción de su habitat por el hombre. Es urgente que quienes tengan un verdadero interés en la conservación, actúen sin demora para lograr salvar alguna área adecuada para establecer un refugio, antes de que la raza se pierda.

Now it´s up to you guys "out there", who does understand Spanish (and Latin) to figure them out! None of them are included in my (Swedish) MS therby I leave them to you ...

Good luck!

PS. The former is (most likely, after a quick look, I couldn´t keep my fingers away) the German zoologist, ornithologist and Museum Director Helmuth Otto Wagner (1897-1977) ...

Last edited:
I had the great fortune as a young birder to meet Ian and Eben McMillan. They were cattle ranchers and naturalists in eastern San Luis Obispo county California. I know they wrote a book with Alden Miller about the Condor among other things. Their Father spoke Scottish Gaelic around the house. They may or may not have had something to do with the death of James Dean. Sorry that is a horrible lie. I was trying to make my story more punchy.

Well, George Miksch Sutton is hardly an obscure reference.
Paul, sure, I didn´t intend to mean he´s unknown in any way. Sutton is very well-known ... the same goes för the McMillan Brothers.

I included those two eponyms only because they were published in the same "missing" Journal, until then unseen by Jobling. Simply to back up his HBW Alive Key and his list of references with the actual OD's. Like; if wagneri is unseen, that must also goes for the other names in the same paper.

… regarding the debated taxon "Xiphidiopicus percussus (insulaepinorum) "gloriae" GARRIDO 1971 – supposed to be endemic for Cayo Cantilles, (Archipiélago de los Canarreos), off the Southern coast North-Western Cuba (Southernmost part of Golfo del Batabanó) [most often incl. in X. p. insulaepinorum BANGS 1910]

= most likely the almost totally unknown Mrs. Gloria Agüeros (de Garrido, xxxxxxxx), entomologist, and (more important in this matter) wife and assistant of the Cuban zoologist Orlando H. Garrido* (1931– ), Curator, Zoology Department, of Museo Nacional de Historia Natural, in Havanna.

Although I haven´t seen the OD (from 1971) itself, the Author Orlando H. Garrido himself, and his colleauge Florentino García Montaña, published their Catálogo de de las Aves de la Cuba, 1975, (here), where they, in the entry for this gloriae, (on p. 79) certainly didn´t write a single word of who this name commemorate …

… but I think (!?) they gave us a clear hint in the Introductory pages, on p.8, with the ending sentence: "Y para concluir , la revisión y el trabajo meacanográfico de este catálogo estuvo a cargo de la compañera Gloria Agüeros, esposa del coautor Garrido, a quien expresamos nuestra gratitud por su valiosa cooperación. (See excerpt attached)

Anyone find this line of thought too far-fetched?

------------

*Mr. Garrido himself (herpetologist, entomologist and ornithologist, Author and co-author of for example; A Guide to the Birds of the West Indies, Field Guide to the Birds of Cuba etc. etc.) is claimed to be commemorated in the two lizards; Anolis garridoi DIAZ, ESTRADA & MORENO 1996 and Diploglossus garridoi THOMAS & HEDGES 1998. He is also supposedly a celebrated tennis-player (Wimbledon 1956-1961 and US Open 1959)! And still going strong (?) … at least in 2010 (here).
xxx

Especially for James’ interest and just in case there were any lingering doubts, I can confirm that this subspecies was named by Orlando for his wife (both still with us and Orlando, especially, still in fairly rude good health). He certainly was a professional tennis player (as was his brother: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynaldo_Garrido). Prior to becoming curator at the Natural History Museum in La Habana, he was curator at the Institute of Ecology and Systematics (IES), in the same city, where most of his avian types are held. In addition to his work as a herpetologist (he has described at least 40 new lizard taxa in Cuba), entomologist and ornithologist (this interest only arose later, after he met James Bond and was encouraged also to study birds), he is currently also actively working, despite being officially retired, on mammals (specifically Cuba’s hutias, in collaboration with the Cuban paleontologist, William Suárez, who defected to the USA a few years ago) and fish. Certainly one of the most remarkable people I have known.

Theo, How about the Dutch botanist, traveler and collector; Pieter van Royen (1923-2002) … ?

Sorry for the late reply.

No, that is not correct. You can't simply leave the "van" out and insert an "s" after the name. Without the "van" it's a completely different name. Just as in my name (Theo de Kok) you can't leave out the "de". Kok and de Kok are two different names.

No, it's Pieter Oyens alright. Shortly after the OD was published the author tried to correct the error and released a new "OD" with the spelling pieteroyensi. This is of course invalid following the rules.

Theo

Boletim do Museu Paraense Emilio Goeldi. Pará.
1993 Celeus torquatus pieteroyensis Oren, Zool., 8 (1992), pp. 385+
James,
I haven´t been able to find the OD but might have some additional info on this eponym …
This bird was probably named after Pieter Oyens. I can't find anything else then him being part of the Oyens twins (painters), so I don't see a reason to name a bird after him. But please note there are different OD's here, and the one spelled pieterroyensi seems to be the valid (first) one. Please note this name is spelled without the final -s (not pieteroyensis).

Theo
Theo, How about the Dutch botanist, traveler and collector; Pieter van Royen (1923-2002) … ?
Sorry for the late reply.

No, that is not correct. You can't simply leave the "van" out and insert an "s" after the name. Without the "van" it's a completely different name. Just as in my name (Theo de Kok) you can't leave out the "de". Kok and de Kok are two different names.

No, it's Pieter Oyens alright. Shortly after the OD was published the author tried to correct the error and released a new "OD" with the spelling pieteroyensi. This is of course invalid following the rules.

Theo
Fair enough Theo (de Kok) ;) … and don´t worry of any late replies. Most of us are here for the long run …

My mistake (though, do note my fat, blue question mark … I didn´t claim was named after "Pieter van Royen", it was simply a suggestion, a possible way to look further).

And I agree, at least I also have serious doubts that this eponym, pieterroyensi/pieteroyensi OREN 1992/1993, would have anything to do with the (much earlier) fairly provincial Dutch (Belgian) Artist, Painter (and twin brother) Pieter Oyens (1842–1894) …

So how about: the young Uruguayan zoologist and conservationist (Senior Program Officer for the Brazil Program of WWF-US) Pieter H. de Marez Oyens (xxxx-xxxx, no years or dates found) ... "who dedicated the last decade of his life to the preservation of Brazil's flora, fauna and natural resources" ... ?

In 1987 WWF established an Award (the Pieter Oyens Memorial Prize) after him … See link (here, bottom, page 9).

Other links (that I think, assume is of him) worth taking a peek at:
● "… the late Pieter de Marez Oyens" (here, page 12)
● "Pieter Oyens" in TRAJETÓRIA DA SOCIEDADE BOTÂNICA DO BRASIL EM 50 ANOS (2013), here, (page 123)
● "Pieter Oyens (Brazil Project Director, World Wildlife Fund US)" (here)
● "Pieter Oyens" (here, see Photo Credits, last)
● "Pieter Oyens" (here)
● "Pieter de Marez Oyens" (here, under Oranizing Committee, page III)

Disclaimer: If it´s him that this name truly commemorate or if he, Mr. (de Marez) Oyens in any way, was connected to Mr. Oren and/or the Museu Paraense Emilio GoeldiI do not know. Like I stated in the beginning of this post; the OD is still unseen!

But it sure looks good, doesn´t it? Although I have to admit I haven´t looked for him any deeper. And I don´t have time to push on.

To anyone feeling to investigate it further: Good luck trying to verify it! Or to find a better match.

That´s all, for me … on this guy.

Cheers!

PS. Full title of the article to look for is: Celeus torquatus pieteroyensi, a new subspecies of ringed woodpecker (Aves, Picidae) from eastern Para and western Maranhao, Brazil ... by David C. Oren (of the Museu Paraense Emilio Goeldi, Departamento de Zoologia, Belem, Para. Brasil)
Boletim do Museu Paraense Emilio Goeldi. Serie zoologia, Brasil, 1992 Vól. 8 Núm. 2 Dic, Pág. 385-389.
---

Last edited:
● "Trochilus Amaliá" WAGLER 1831 (nomen nudum?) = Amélie of Leuchtenberg (1812-1873)

● "Trochilus Theodolindá" WAGLER 1831 (nomen nudum?) = Théodolinde de Beauharnais (1814–1857)

● "Trochilus Maximiliani" WAGLER 1831 (nomen nudum?) = Maximilian Joseph Eugene Auguste Napoleon de Beauharnais (1817–1852)
Additional info (here), by Laurent, regarding:

● "Trochilus Amaliä" WAGLER 1831
● "Trochilus Theodoliadä" WAGLER 1831
● "Trochilus Maximiliani" WAGLER 1831

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back