• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How far can you identify birds in spotting scope comfortably? (1 Viewer)

SInce your main interest is sea-watching (e.g. gulls etc.) think about buying a binokular if possible. The best choice for birders should be the BTX (because the water-resistance), but a APM 70 or 82 (please ED because the white feathers) could be the solution. You need a good pair of 1,25"-eyepieces, with sufficient eye-relief if you use glasses, and a stable tripod. The two-eye-watching-method is far superior to the monoculars (normal spotting scopes), if long watching-sessions are prefererred.

good look
Manfred

I completely agree. I much prefer binoculars

But carrying one low power binocular for wide FOV and one high power binoculars for spotting is a very bulky package to carry around

Technically I can stick a small 20x spotting scope in one jacket pocket and binoculars in another pocket

High powered binoculars tends to need a backpack. When I’m at the beach, optics are only used 10-20% of the time I am there.

But once again if I do bring a back pack. I prefer binoculars

Yes, it is important to know what detail one is looking for.

I can identify an Airbus A380 at up to 20 miles at most angles and by how it flies.
A Boeing 747 up to 15 miles.
This is without optical aid, just distance glasses.
But seeing if the B747 has an extended upper deck or winglets, probably 5 miles.

So I'll look out for the black and white tail on a herring gull.

B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back