• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown Bear in NE Portugal, the first in the country since the 19th century (1 Viewer)

RafaelMatias

Unknown member
Portugal
Not a lot written in English language about this yet (lots in Portuguese though, with plenty of errors as expected):
https://www.portugalresident.com/20...ed-in-portugal-176-years-since-last-one-died/

A lone wandering Brown Bear (potentially an immature male) has just entered NE Portugal. It's the first confirmed Brown Bear in Portugal since the 19th century. I knew they were getting closer to the border in recent years and I've looking for them for a few years now, a few weeks at a time, very close to the spot where this one entered, obviously with no luck (except for wolves). A great day, but let's hope something stupid doesn't happen to this animal.

"obviously with no luck (except for wolves)".

Nice! Good views? Accessible? Less hassle from the authorities than over the border in Spain?

Hope the bear does all right.

Cheers

John

"obviously with no luck (except for wolves)".

Nice! Good views? Accessible? Less hassle from the authorities than over the border in Spain?

Unfortunately no views at all. They're elusive, unless you know the exact place where to look for them. Fresh footprints, lots of scat and howling from very close-by individuals at night was all I got. I've never asked for gen from the guys studying them first because I'm pretty sure that info wouldn't be released easily, and second because I usually walk these places with backpack and small tent for a few weeks and I always think I have a fair good chance to came across one by chance. The howling was nice though, especially once after a heavy thunderstorm, when several could be heard at close quarters a bit all around the place I was. They're there but they're like ghosts to me. Perhaps this year I get better luck :)
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back