• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early June break (1 Viewer)

DorsetDude

Hi all

Thinking of a few day jaunt down to devon 2nd week of June. Pushing it a bit for spring I know but we have had a late spring this year haven't we.

Thinking I might stay Newton Abbot/Teignmouth way perhaps.
Would like to see pied fly's and thought Yarner wood might be a good bet?

Also cirl buntings, a few sites come up on the RSPB site near there.

Wonder if anyone could suggest other places and species I might look out for when I come down?

Thanks.

Hi,
Yarner should be very good for Pied's - it was buzzing with them yesterday?
What about the coast path - possibly Wembury area for the Cirl's. I'm no expert and I am sure wise folk will advise later - have a good week whatever.

Wembury is a good bet for Cirls but Prawle/Broadsands and Exminster areas are much closer to Teignmout so might be easier to get to.

O

Check out my blog for places to visit. I have just come back from that area... if you want specifics, PM me for them.

Cheers,

Pete.

Quick Update:

Went last week, stayed in Dawlish. Very pleasant and a nice curry house!
Anyway got 4 lifers whilst I was down there. Pied fly and Wood warbler at Yarner wood. Also saw Raven, Buzzard, Spotted fly in the woods and Garden Warbler, tree pipit and yellowhammer on the heathy bit.
Whinchats on dartmoor near challacombe, marvellous. Also a wheatear there.
And last but not least a male Cirl Bunting on coast path at Maidencombe just when I was about to give up. And pretty sure I heard a cirl singing at rspb Labrador earlier but couldnt track it down.
All in all a pleasant trip even with the rain!

Heading down to north Devon next week, so will try and give some of the sights a go been years since I have seen a Cirl Bunting, in fact I wasn't a true birder then just liked to know what I was seeing.
Anyone know if north Devon has any decent places to visit or is it a case of heading for the south coast?

Tim.

Anyone know if north Devon has any decent places to visit or is it a case of heading for the south coast?

Tim.

Lots of lovely places in North Devon! Not as many birds as down south admittedly, and certainly no Cirls. But Northam Burrows, Braunton Great field area and the Burrows at Saunton are always worth a look. You could try Baggy Point too. I saw lots of Manx Shearwaters this morning off Down End at Saunton. Pied Flycatchers, Wood Warblers and Redstarts at Arlington Court. Nearby Exmoor has a few goodies too. If you find anything good put it on the Devon Birding Thread!

Best

Jon

Lots of lovely places in North Devon! Not as many birds as down south admittedly, and certainly no Cirls. But Northam Burrows, Braunton Great field area and the Burrows at Saunton are always worth a look. You could try Baggy Point too. I saw lots of Manx Shearwaters this morning off Down End at Saunton. Pied Flycatchers, Wood Warblers and Redstarts at Arlington Court. Nearby Exmoor has a few goodies too. If you find anything good put it on the Devon Birding Thread!

Best

Jon

Cheers Jon, I will give them a go.

Tim.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back