• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glass in Geovids different? (1 Viewer)

Yippeekiay

Went to Cabela's/bargain cave the other day and picked-up a pair of Leica Geovid 8x42's in HD... Basically life as I know it has changed. The thing is I've looked through Leica Ultravid's before and honestly wasn't that impressed. Kind of cold and too blurry on the periphery for a $2000 bin. But when I looked through those Geovid's....... I can't even begin to explain the Instant Joy my eyes sent to my brain. Went upstairs and tried the 10x42 Geo's and felt they were kind of scrunched. Now I finally see the true difference between 8 and 10x. But I digress.
It got me to wondering. Does Leica use a different glass for their Ultra vs Geovids? It seems to make sense but I'm really no expert. Plus, if anyone could answer.. Which would be a more effective laser receiver, a 8x56 or a 10x42. Again with the objective vs magnification question.
Thanks

I'm no expert on the more technical aspects of bino construction, there are many here who are, but my gut feeling is that there is no difference in the glass or coatings between an 8x42 Ultravid HD and an 8x42 Geovid HD. Obviously some mechanical differences for the switch power mechanism. I think you just found a really cherry example, I have a cherry 8x42 BR that holds its own against pretty much anything out there.

If one of our resident true optical experts totally disagrees with me, I will stand corrected without hurt feelings.

John

I'm no expert on the more technical aspects of bino construction, there are many here who are, but my gut feeling is that there is no difference in the glass or coatings between an 8x42 Ultravid HD and an 8x42 Geovid HD. Obviously some mechanical differences for the switch power mechanism. I think you just found a really cherry example, I have a cherry 8x42 BR that holds its own against pretty much anything out there.

If one of our resident true optical experts totally disagrees with me, I will stand corrected without hurt feelings.

John

John,

According to Leica, there is a difference in coatings and color bias between the the Ultravid and Geovid, because of the laser in the rangefinder (excerpted from a review of a 10x42 Geovid):

"One thing I did notice is that there is a definite color bias towards the blue-green spectrum, instead of the neutral and accurate color rendition of the 8x20 Leica Ultravids that I also had for review at the time. As the Geovids are hunting glasses this has no affect whatsoever on the optical quality of the view, which is excellent.

I did contact Geoff Evitt at Lacklands regarding this slight color bias and he in turn arranged to contact Leica in Solms, Germany as to why this was so. A couple of days later I received an email from Rhys van Kan at Lacklands that included an explanation from a gentleman named Stephan who is a Leica technician from the factory in Solms, Germany.

He informed me that, "The Geovid binoculars have on the prism a beam splitter coating separating the laser beam from the light which is used for the image itself. Due to the red shift caused by the eye safe laser, there is a slight color cast towards the blue/green built into the optical path to balance this. This has no negative influence to the contrast on the image. In practice for most people, an image color which is 'moved' slightly to blue/green appears more rich in contrast."

full review:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leica_10x42_RF_binoculars.htm

The 8x56 Geovid's color bias is also mentioned in allbinos.com review:

http://allbinos.com/index.php?test=lornetki&test_l=171

Brock

Yes, definitely the lesson is appreciated. I can see where the beam splitting comes into play. Though I didn't notice it in the Geovids I did try out the new Bushnell Fusion 1600's and there was so much blue tint that I hadn't even gotten them completely settled when I had to look away and say "No thanks". The girl behind the counter was bewildered because she hadn't been able to see it and tried saying it was the reflection from my shirt and it was an unfair comparison (Leica vs Bushnell).!.!.
I can also see how the shift makes for a "richer" view. I swear it was like what a desperate thief would see if he/she were to bust into a kings treasure room. :eek!:
I'm really hoping my new Nikon SE's will satiate this very strong urge to spend lots of cash on these well nigh transcendental optics.

Yes, definitely the lesson is appreciated. I can see where the beam splitting comes into play. ... :eek!:
I'm really hoping my new Nikon SE's will satiate this very strong urge to spend lots of cash on these well nigh transcendental optics.

Unless you suffer the affliction of the SE's "image blackouts," your need for "transcendental optics" should be satiated as well as Pavlov's dogs. But if not, try this:

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2767155/1/Transcendental_Optics

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back