• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bag hides (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
I'd like to get some sort of hide, both for use in the garden and to use out and about in the woods, etc.
I've been looking at bag hides, such as this one on WEx, and am wondering if anyone else uses them and, if so, what you think of them.

What are their pros and cons, etc?

Thanks

'VB'

I use both a Ameristep Doghouse blind and a home made throw camo. I bought camouflage material and sewed velcro on it. It works great.

I'm thinking about getting a bag hide from Wildlife watching supplies or Stealth. Not sure which to go for.

Jaff, I'd be interested to hear about your experience of the bag hide pro's and cons etc and why you think a pop up hide is better.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Have one for a small fee if any one wants it, it's a heavy weight real oak wildlife watching bag hide.......

Speaking from personal experience I have the WWS one its like a sauna inside & a complete pain to put on quickly.

Steve.

It clings here on there so you're constantly shuffling around inside it and can catch on twigs, you're tripod and all sorts meaning more adjusting still (hardly useful for trying to keep birds in front of you) and it's hard to keep tabs on whats going on around you and then use the camera quickly. It does have the big advantge though of offering complete concealment and being incredibly portable when you roll it up, can fit quite nicely into a bag. I know someone who manages to use one to great effect so there not totally useless but requires patience (something which I struggle with) to be used to best effect. TBH if space or other factors stop you from using a proper pop-up hide I think one of those chair hides is the next best thing.

Neither will ever be as good as a decent pop-up hide which gives you complete concealment, plenty of room for you, your tripod and any other bits you may want (like food and drink) and with the ability to move freely within it if you need to stretch a little. Only a pop-up hide gives you these things and is the only real solution for long vigils. And of course you can leave a hide out there overnight or even for a week for that matter to let birds get used to it.

The basic bag hide design could work but it needs tweaks. I think it would work a lot better if there was no hood and was open at the back as this would allow you to just slip underneath with ease if you see something coming. In fact with mine I did actually cut it open at the back with scissors but a slight hitch was I was using it at the time and didn't exactly make a good job of it, it has rather too much material on one side now! :'D

So I may just take you up on that offer Steve. ;)

I have a 2 man chair hide that is perfect for 1 person LOL - plenty of room for a tripod and the spare seat is just right for dumping all you other gear. Putting up/taking down is a absolute breeze and takes around a minute. Another advantage is that you do not have to stake it down at all if you are sitting in it as your weight keeps it intact (I only use mine on my stone patio at home).
Now for the big minus (at least for me) the hide comes with its own backpack but at 17 lbs it is too heavy for me to carry far, especially when you have all your other gear to carry.

I only bought the chair hide for use at home so the bag hide has appeal for me when out in the field, think I might have a gander.

Last edited:
I think the bag hide (from what I can see) would be of use if you were laying down on the ground - a more relaxed pose overall - whilst also being easy to slip afew cheap bent supports inside to give a bit of movement room.

I think when in the seated position the problem with the bag hide is as Jaff said - you'll be more inclined to move around; which means the bag pressing in around you will also be moving around and thus any wildlife might well be scared off by such motions. The popup hides mean that at least your body isn't touching the sides and that means small or larger movements won't transmit to the hide surface

It clings here on there so you're constantly shuffling around inside it and can catch on twigs, you're tripod and all sorts meaning more adjusting still (hardly useful for trying to keep birds in front of you) and it's hard to keep tabs on whats going on around you and then use the camera quickly. It does have the big advantge though of offering complete concealment and being incredibly portable when you roll it up, can fit quite nicely into a bag. I know someone who manages to use one to great effect so there not totally useless but requires patience (something which I struggle with) to be used to best effect. TBH if space or other factors stop you from using a proper pop-up hide I think one of those chair hides is the next best thing.

Neither will ever be as good as a decent pop-up hide which gives you complete concealment, plenty of room for you, your tripod and any other bits you may want (like food and drink) and with the ability to move freely within it if you need to stretch a little. Only a pop-up hide gives you these things and is the only real solution for long vigils. And of course you can leave a hide out there overnight or even for a week for that matter to let birds get used to it.

The basic bag hide design could work but it needs tweaks. I think it would work a lot better if there was no hood and was open at the back as this would allow you to just slip underneath with ease if you see something coming. In fact with mine I did actually cut it open at the back with scissors but a slight hitch was I was using it at the time and didn't exactly make a good job of it, it has rather too much material on one side now! :'D

Thanks for the explanation, Jaff.

A dome hide might be the best solution as there's some private land that I can set a hide up on (I have permission, it's my mum's land), so it can be left there.

If your dome hide would be visible from the road, I would be wary of leaving it set up and left. I've heard of several people losing them this way.
I use a fishing cheap "bivvy" as a hide, both in the garden and in the field. It takes about 10 seconds to erect and only weighs 2.6 kilos. It needed a slight modification to make a lens window and as it is very lightweight nylon material, the sun can shine through it, but a camo "throw" over the top solves that problem. It cost me £40 and has a built in groundsheet. Gets a bit warm in the middle of summer but that is hardly a problem at the moment.
It erects by simply pulling on a cord at the top.
My main problem in using it in the garden is that the birds will land on it - frightening me to death!
I got mine from Cheshire Fishing at
http://www.cheshirefishing.co.uk/shop/brollies.htm

They have lots of different types of shelter, but some weigh quite a bit.
Hope that helps.
Denny

I have a bag hide, WWS real tree type one, a review of it can be seen on my website (or the fatbirder website). But in principle I liked it, easy to use, very portable and kept me extra warm in the snow last year!! and allowed me to get nice and close to Short eared owls, or rather allowed them the confidence to come to me.

I do agree though that a pop up would be nicer, but definately not as portable, and often that is more important to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back