• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26 Disassembly Help? (1 Viewer)

hap

I would like to take apart an old and well worn pair of these and do a full restoration cleaning and lubing, at the least, and am toying with the idea of turning them into a monocular by discarding the right side as I only ever use the left due to vision issues.

The primary problem is I cannot find a disassembly guide and am unable to figure out how the center pivot is fastened. Is the front piece a cap that you pry off that hides the screw? Is it under the focusing wheel and you must remove that somehow first?

On the issue of making them a monocular are there any "no way that would work stupid" things I am missing? The diopter adjustment is on the left. It seems the focusing ring would still work fine as long as I put a bushing in to replace the width of the right eyepiece's attachment arm.

Here is the model: https://imgur.com/pp8mRa7

Last edited:
:hi:Hi Hap,

Welcome to Bird Forum. I have one of these binoculars.

I wouldn't consider doing it. This binocular is a reverse Porro prism and it focuses by moving the objective lenses. If you are located in the USA contact Cory Suddarth. www.suddarthoptical.com

He can handle the restoration, cleaning and lubing and advise you about your question about turning it into a monocular.

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks but I would prefer to do this myself as a project. Would you happen to know how the pivot is fastened? I don't want to damage something assuming the end piece is a friction cap and prying on it.

I wouldn't know how to begin taking it apart. Mine has no external metal parts except for the 2 lugs that hold the neck strap. Mine also has folding rubber eye cups and the diopter adjustment is on the right eye cup.

There are quite a few variations of this binocular. I got mine in December 2005 from Astronomics in Norman, Oklahoma. I'm not sure about it but prior to that they were sold under the Bausch & Lomb name.

Mine has a very heavy black polycarbonate exterior that looks like it might slide the front objective section of the binocular away from the back ocular portion of the binocular, but I really don't know how this binocular comes apart.

Here is a link about the 7x26 Custom from Cloudy Nights and Better View Desired.

https://www.cloudynights.com/BVD/Bushnell-7x26-Custom.php

Bob

Last edited:
I edited the original post to include a photo of the model I have. They are much older than 2005 and have a metal/skinned body.

I can always send them to an expert if things go awry. If anyone can instruct me how to remove the center pivot I would appreciate it.

dismantling 7x26

I would like to take apart an old and well worn pair of these and do a full restoration cleaning and lubing, at the least, and am toying with the idea of turning them into a monocular by discarding the right side as I only ever use the left due to vision issues.

The primary problem is I cannot find a disassembly guide and am unable to figure out how the center pivot is fastened. Is the front piece a cap that you pry off that hides the screw? Is it under the focusing wheel and you must remove that somehow first?

On the issue of making them a monocular are there any "no way that would work stupid" things I am missing? The diopter adjustment is on the left. It seems the focusing ring would still work fine as long as I put a bushing in to replace the width of the right eyepiece's attachment arm.

Here is the model: https://imgur.com/pp8mRa7

This is from memory. The disc between the front lenses has to be removed so the two bridges / arms can be removed.
Underneath are guide tubes that keep the front lens assemblies from wobbling as you focus. The tubes unscrew and the body shells slide off. Can't remember if you have to unscrew the strap lugs first.
Can't see that making into a monocular will work / look pretty.

This is from memory. The disc between the front lenses has to be removed so the two bridges / arms can be removed.

Thanks Richard I suspsected there was machine screw or some fastener under that disc/cap. Do you know how to remove the cap? Is it threaded one direction or another or a friction fitting that pries off? So far its not moving with moderate pressure in any manner but I am afraid to damage it by being too aggressive.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back