• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK/EU dealers that quality control stock? (1 Viewer)

sedgemoor

Are there dealers who are known to quality control (QC) the stock they receive?

I'm ready to buy the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and online prices varied from £540-£630 last week (this week: less variation).

As I'm buying mail order I don't mind paying a higher price if someone's checked their binoculars over and I'm less likely to get a dud, but if not I'll pick the cheapest seller.

I really doubt that any do. It's the fact of dirtying or smudging the surfaces plus how many are trained, have the time or the equipment to do so. Certainly the internet only outlets wouldn't q/a any bino or scope.....they just deal in processing orders, payments, despatch and returns. Try to get to a retailer so you can check out the unit you're going to go home with.

Are there dealers who are known to quality control (QC) the stock they receive?

I'm ready to buy the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 and online prices varied from £540-£630 last week (this week: less variation).

As I'm buying mail order I don't mind paying a higher price if someone's checked their binoculars over and I'm less likely to get a dud, but if not I'll pick the cheapest seller.

In the EU, I have had a good experience with the following, among others:

Germany:
- astroshop.de (same outlet under optik-pro.de)
- intercon-spacetec.de
- das-fernglashaus.de
- juelich-bonn.com

Italy:
- rpoptix.com

I regularly ask the shops, either as part of the order process or via separate email, to check items before dispatch, including verifying that collimation is perfect, etc., and that has worked very well so far (with some of the shops, there will even be a small accompanying note „checked“ in the package)

In the UK, I have purchased several binos from

- firstlightoptics.com

which you can also instruct to check their instruments, but they do not show Zeiss binoculars in their range of products.

Canip

checking before selling

I really doubt that any do. It's the fact of dirtying or smudging the surfaces plus how many are trained, have the time or the equipment to do so. Certainly the internet only outlets wouldn't q/a any bino or scope.....they just deal in processing orders, payments, despatch and returns. Try to get to a retailer so you can check out the unit you're going to go home with.

OK, so checking the alignment is not really possible for a retailer but checking everything else is.
Smooth focus action; correct twist up eyecup movement; no rattles; and yes, a single image.
I check every item before it is passed over the counter or sent through the post. It is not that unusual to find a faulty product and one notable occasion a whole box full of new binoculars had to be returned.
Camera / binocular retailers can and do handle their products without leaving finger prints but also have the correct cleaning cloths to remove any customer marks after a demonstration.
I will always recommend looking through an optical item before buying it although I appreciate the internet can very competitive pricing.

Try to get to a retailer so you can check out the unit you're going to go home with.
I will always recommend looking through an optical item before buying it although I appreciate the internet can very competitive pricing.

I agree with you both.

In this case it's not about price. No retailer within 60+ miles stocks the Victory Pocket, and though all will specially order in a single pair I feel that if they get sent a single pair I might as well order online and get the extra protections of the Consumer Contracts Regulations (2014).

I found a single pair in stock in central London and got to handle them, however could only look inside the shop, and the windows were tinted such that looking through them wasn't useful. And in a fit of pique after the salesperson disagreed that it would be useful to look through them, left them there |>|

Well, it's a real pity that you couldn't properly try them out in London but I have heard that a lot of retailers in larger towns or cities will not allow you to take them outside the shop.
Good luck with your endeavours.

I buy from dealers that make returns as painless as possible (with no questions asked) so if upon inspection there is a problem it goes back to them and all I am out is the cost to ship it back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back