• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jeff in Hokkaido - this bird ID be making me crazy! help (1 Viewer)

Otarujef

Master Blurry Bird Phototaker
Supporter
Japan
Hi Everyone! |:d|

I am hoping a veteran or someone who has seen this bird before maybe be able to help me. Much appreciated!

I live in Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan.
I went out near the Shukutsu Observation Platform,

which the location linked here:
https://goo.gl/maps/PSpKuo4aASKB35Ts5

The bird appears:
1. to have a short tail.
2. a black back
3. a unique white pattern in the middle of its back.
4. its cheeks appear black
5. the head is chestnut
6. the face possibly white.
7. a black beak

It almost as the shape of a Pygmy Woodpecker, and I thought Thrush family, Starling or such. I have looked thru all of my Japan and East Asian Guides books, but nothing matches even close.

My auto-focus was working poorly at the moment i took a photo of the bird,
but I have attached it.

Thanks again,
Jeff :)

Attachments

• u2d.jpg
    u2d.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 185
  • u2e.jpg
    u2e.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 173
comparing

Thanks Stu and Grahame! :D

That was my first impression, but all the chestnut-cheeked starlings I have seen here and photographed don't seem to have that unique designed white patch in the middle of the back/rump.

Maybe I am missing something, the white path is different from the starlings I have seen, and the head is white with just the cheeks chestnut. i have attached some of my photos for reference.

Variations for so many things in a birds life are possible. Let me know what you think, let me if it still seems most likely a chestnut-cheeked starling.

I just want to make sure I'm not off track missing a key marking that would show it to be something else.

well appreciated,

Attachments

• chestnut-cheeked starling 7.jpg
    chestnut-cheeked starling 7.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 27
  • chestnut-cheeked starling 10.jpg
    chestnut-cheeked starling 10.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 22
  • chestnut-cheeked starling 3.jpg
    chestnut-cheeked starling 3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks greatly Grahame! :D
:thumbs up:

Stuart Price's image from orientalbirds looks like all the ones in Hokkaido.
He is down the road a bit from me.

ya would almost want to make a subspecies for Hokkaido in that they all appear so similar here...except for the DNA monotypic thang. haha

yeah, working towards lenses upgrade penny by penny :D

Thanks again for your time and help!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back