• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Western Australia! (1 Viewer)

PenSketcher

The elusive Golden Whistler
Hello everyone from WA.
You can call me Sketcher or Ross, whichever you choose.

I actually signed up here last year so I thought it practical to re-introduce myself. I have only started birding seriously in the past week. 'Seriously' being the purchase of a notepad and starting up my own bird checklist lol. ;)

As I said above I have started recording the birds I see and writing up my checklist. I'm also practicing my IDing and bird-song recognizing.

I have a great 'patch' to explore, it includes wetlands, marshlands, a humongous estuary, woodlands, beaches, ponds and suburbs so I'm learning fast and have numerous birds to watch. All I need is a mentor now. Are there any birders around Bunbury who could teach me a thing or two about birding? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'll be in the "Tips for new Birders" thread if you want me ;)

Thanks Delia :D
Is that an osprey in your avatar? I've always wanted to see one of those ever since I bought my first Bird guide book.

An Osprey it surely is.. wonderful birds.

We see them all over here in Scotland now through the summer.

That particular one, we came round a bend in a highland glen and there it was... dived out of the car, scope up... camera attached! What luck he stayed long enough (and no cars came either to distrupt proceedings!)

D

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :D

I just need to ask; Whats the best way to go about making a lifelist? Is it just for birds you've seen in the wild? What about zoo animals?

Hi Ross,

welcome to Birdforum.

Not that I am into lists, but I would say the best way to do a list is either get a book with the birds of your area of Australia or you can even sometimes find lists of birds for certain countries on the internet. Once you see them in the wild you put a tick. It always has to be Wild and not zoo or other captive or escapees.

Found this hope it helps. you could perhaps, copy and paste it or print it out.

http://www.birdlist.org/var/australia/western_australia/western_australa.htm

Last edited:
Thankyou very much Marmot,
I wasn't sure whether captive birds counted or not and although it shaves a fair amount off my list I am very pleased to have it all cleared up. :D
I already own a copy of "the Graham Pizzey & Frank Knight FiEld Guide to the Birds of Australia" which I consult every day but thankyou for the link also.

Hi Ross,
Welcome to BF,
There are some great Ozzy birders here & others, like me, who've been to Oz & LOVE it. I think your list will be double in a couple of weeks - I managed over 250 in two & a half weeks. Keep us posted & let us know.
Cheers
H

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back