• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Come on then Phil, pull your finger out ;)

What do you predict to be Upton's next county first?

Brian

Think John is the maintainer of the "next Upton addition" list which includes a number of County firsts such as Common Rosefinch and Lesser Yellowlegs; I would suggest the latter is a good bet.

Think John is the maintainer of the "next Upton addition" list which includes a number of County firsts such as Common Rosefinch and Lesser Yellowlegs; I would suggest the latter is a good bet.

Yes, I agree with the last one, plus Baird's and Buff-breasted Sands. Always thought Bonaparte's Gull to be long overdue too.

Brian

Unfortunately no sign of the Great Reed Warbler by 8.15am. Plenty of Reed Warblers and a Sedge Warbler singing so its look as though the star bird has departed.

Brian

Planning First Visit

Hi all,
I know you have probably been asked this question many times, but I have never ventured down to Grimley and would really appreciate some help on where to go when visiting (and park!)

I don't know the area at all, so could really do with your advice

Thanks
Tom

Anyone else had a go for the GRW since this morning? I'm thinking of having another go this evening. I wonder if it's moved into another area of reeds in the Grimley area. Gutted I didn't see it last night, was amazing to hear it though even with being drenched through.

Hi all,
I know you have probably been asked this question many times, but I have never ventured down to Grimley and would really appreciate some help on where to go when visiting (and park!)

I don't know the area at all, so could really do with your advice

Thanks
Tom

Hopefully this will help. The page needs updating but the access details remain the same.

Brian

Again no sign of the Great Reed Warbler yesterday evening in ideal conditions (dry with no wind) unlike the previous evening when it did show in the pouring rain! Also had a brief walk around the reedbeds at the old workings but no sign there either.

A Turnstone was new in at Camp Lane Pits yesterday evening which has been replaced by a Wood Sand this morning.

Record shot of the Turnstone below.

Brian

Attachments

• Turnstone_Grimley.jpg
    Turnstone_Grimley.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 110
A couple of shots from a visit to Grimley on Sat afternoon. Was very windy!

I guess this rain will start to bring the water levels back up - not sure that's a good thing, as the dunlins were quite easy to get close to from the raised paths.

Attachments

• IMG_7294.jpg
    IMG_7294.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7126.jpg
    IMG_7126.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 126
A couple of shots from a visit to Grimley on Sat afternoon. Was very windy!

I guess this rain will start to bring the water levels back up - not sure that's a good thing, as the dunlins were quite easy to get close to from the raised paths.

Great images love them both!!

Yes I agree...I must get a 500m f4...send all donations to ME

Keith :t:

There is a drawback to the big lens though - not many, but for birds in flight, because the lens is so heavy, it's nigh on impossible to use hand-held for any length of time, so you have to use a tripod.

And for me at any rate, that is restrictive when trying to track a bird, especially one like a swift which changes direction frequently. For this reason, when I go to places like Gigrin, I tend to use my 100-400mm lens more, and get far more success with it.

I've just been using the big lens of late for such things, to see how good I can get at it. Practice makes perfect, allegedly. ;)

I would always say for wildlife and much more prime lens all the way

1. Normally get more light from them
2. Sharpness so you can crop into images alot more
3. Works amazing with Converter i.e I shoot with a 300mm and 1.4x converter giving me with my D300 630mm add a bit of crop 700mm and you still have better light than some sigma big lens that are f/6.3 fully open.

2 Ringed Plover 1redshank 3LRP 1Lapwing chick 2-300 hirundines at camp lane pits.
2 Lapwing chicks at sling pool and 2 Common tern at top barn sailing pool.

Does anyone have any opinions or info on dog walkers using causeways at camp lane and disturbing the Lapwings ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back