• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your New Year birding resolution? (1 Viewer)

For myself it's to keep a proper journal instead of just some randon jottings in a scabby notebook.

Some targets for 2012 include -

Bearded Tit
Hawfinch
Water Rail
Green Woodpecker (heard but not seen)

And to expand my scant knowledge of warblers and small waders.

What does "bogey" mean, exactly?

CObb

A bogey bird is one that has persistently eluded you even though you have made several (many?) attempts to see it. In the end it starts to haunt you, that little gap in your list between the previous and next-listed members of the family. You begin to think they are there, but laughing at you from behind the trees. (If your bogey is Green Woodpecker you can hear them doing this.)

Nailing a bogey is a level of relief similar to that granted by laxatives: gratifying but rarely timely.

John

A bogey bird is one that has persistently eluded you even though you have made several (many?) attempts to see it. In the end it starts to haunt you, that little gap in your list between the previous and next-listed members of the family. You begin to think they are there, but laughing at you from behind the trees. (If your bogey is Green Woodpecker you can hear them doing this.)

Nailing a bogey is a level of relief similar to that granted by laxatives: gratifying but rarely timely.

John

In a nutshell, John!

Mine to lose weight, ride the brand new bike, OH gave to me to keep fit. Go on lots more walking trips out in the New Year.

Get the hang of our new cameras D7000 and G10

Keep an eye out for my favourite local patch, Putnoe LNR, and see if the
Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers re-appear…after all the problems with Acute Oak disease

Wildlife Trips out, here, there and everywhere – love to go to Barns, London!

Meet up with Northern Spain birding group in March 2012 (paid up already)

Meet up with BFr’s in London http://londonwildbirdwatch.co.uk/ April time 2012.

Holiday in Menorca in May time (2 weeks) for Sailing and Bird Watching
New Year trip to to Welney and Rainham Marsh on the agenda for definite.

Of course the Bird Fair 2012 for a meet up with forumulites once more – sadly the Scottish Bird Fair is in the middle of our holidays in Menorca in 2012

Meet up with my local group in Bedford for trips out.

Go to the Wildlife Artists exhibition in London

Lots of reports to write, and enjoy some more writing techniques.

Regards
Kathy
x

wow that reads like my goals for 2012 !:eek!:
AND my partners name is Kathy ......spooky or what?

Just built a new bike and hoping to start cycling again to lose weight and explore a 50 x mile radius of home with my camera. Maybe do a time trial.

Explore some more coastline of Britain in our new campervan.

Learn to use my Fuji HS10 on manual settings more effectively. Maybe a weekly wildlife photo challenge or daily photo diary of my Village.

Visit Hadrians wall, Lake District, Isle of Wight ,lots of walking .

Create a truly wild garden ...at the moment it is just semi-derelict :-O

Good luck with your aspirations for 2012 everyone. Happy and peaceful New Year

To start keeping a proper nature journal instead of the random scribblings I've been doing for way too long :smoke: There's only so long your memory will remember every single date and year ;)

Move house! Got our eyes on a slightly bigger (ha! ANYTHNG is bigger than this cupboard we are currently crammed into!!!) ;) two/three bedroomed place, relatively rural and, best of all, it HAS A GARDEN o:) Want to get back into my beloved gardening AND feeding the birds/creating a wildlife garden etc.

Work on my sketching & painting 'skills' (in the very loosest terms - they're rubbish!) and not be afraid of a blank page of the sketchbook!!! :-O Just draw you daft moo!!!!

Also want to find Green Woodpecker and Wood Warbler in Northumberland (last seen in Kent, 1992 and Jesmond Dene 1986 respectively) and new ticks = Ring Ouzel and Black Grouse.

Last edited:
To get my first hoopoe, my ultimate bogey bird. There's one currently in neighbouring County Louth but it doesn't want me to see it just like all the others I have missed over the last 40 or so years!

Si.

I don't do lists like Year or Patch lists, but I do have a Life list. So one of my aims for 2012 is to get my Life list beyond 200. I have a lot of ommissions that are bread & butter ticks for most of the regulars on here.

I also want improve my photography, and hopefully upgrade my lens or even better both lens & camera body.

All the best to everyone for 2012.

Richard

To improve my fieldcraft.. And to tick off a lot of targets/bogeys ( Bearded Vulture, Montys harrier, Bearded tit, Gropper... ) You get the idea. Plus, If I can.. To get to either Shetland or Scilly during october! :t:

Hi Tred

Not seen or heard of a Sora before

It looks a little like a Water-rail what we have in the UK. Is it the same family?

Looks very interesting, and thank you for sharing your link.

Regards
Kathy
x

i believe it's related to your crakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back