• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (1 Viewer)

Has anyone taken a closer look at the Farnham Heath 2B XB? I was taken in on the whole 2B XB thing and still hope it is. Yesterday however it was seen courtship feeding a Crossbill.

Could this bird be a hybrid? They do hybridise with Crossbill.

Rationale behind this is:

It calls like a 2B XB but a hybrid could do this. I am not the only one to hear it call. Reminds me a lot of a Red-breasted Nuthatch and this is often quoted in Canada as pointer to identification.

2B XB First winter males are generally green.

No tertial spots - moulting is a possibility but most birds have them throughout; that said they can wear out during moulting
Wing bars look good size wise but something is just not right.

BWP suggests that in juvenile Two-barred Crossbills there is a partial moult involving ‘head, body, and lesser as well as some to all median and greater upper wing coverts; occasionally a few tertials’ which usually takes place June-November, depending on time of fledging.

As I said I hope this bird is what he is currently deemed to be but we ought to consider a hybrid Crossbill in my opinion. This is not the first time - trawling through Google I found this:

http://birdingfrontiers.com/2013/12/...ite-wing-bars/

Your thoughts please.

More local migrants today, the Blackcaps & Chiffchaffs were the first arrivals a couple of weeks ago, this morning a singing Willow Warbler & 2 Swallows were noted.

John.

Willow Warbler again this morning, 3 Chiffchaffs, Blackcap, & Goldcrest all in the vicinity of Badshot Lea ponds.

John.

Little Egret, Buzzard, & Whitethroat at Farnham SF this morning, also first local Swift over & Stock Dove near the pond earlier. Great to wake up to a singing Blackcap this time of the year.

John.

An unusual find this morning-a juvenile Siskin near the ponds, cant recall seeing one this early before. Perhaps a wanderer from a local breeding population, Alice Holt maybe??

John.

First thing this morning whilst in the garden I heard a Bullfinch calling from near Badshot Lea pond, went to get a look & had a cracking Hobby fly past.

John.

Another garden first early this morning - a Peregrine being chased by two Common Terns!
Quite an impressive list of raptors seen from the garden now, 6 different species!

John.

A bit of impromptu birding whilst at the gym this morning produced a Hobby & Red Kite over Ash Manor School playing fields.

John.

Hobby over the garden this afternoon which zoomed over the ponds, then departed towards Tices pursued by a BHG.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back