• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cotton End (1 Viewer)

Ed Woods

Spent some time parked on the edge of Cotton End. Saw 3 Red Kite hunting together in the corn stubble between Cotton End and Shortstown. 3 Buzzards - 2 of the Buzzards tumbling together. 1 Buzzard diving at pheasants in a horse paddock. 1 Green Woodpecker poking about in a horse paddock. A noisy Jay. A Kestrel hunting in the same cornfield as the Red Kites. A couple of juvenile Pied Wagtails catching insects in a horse paddock, a Tawny Owl sitting on a post in a field. Lots of Rooks, some Jackdaws and a couple of noisy Crows. A Heron, some Magpies. An unexpected Kingfisher flying back and forwards into a clump of trees. Usual Blue tits, Great Tits, Robin, Wren, Sparrows, Wood Pigeons, Collared Doves, Starlings, Swifts, House Martins, Blackbirds. All on a random stretch of road that I decided to park up in for a bit on.

Yesterday was my last day working at Cotton End - rewarded by 6 Buzzards lazily gliding together, 4 Red Kite and my highlight (because it was my first time seeing one) - a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

Thanks Ed for taking me down memory lane.I used to live in Elstow,Beds,and Cotton End was a regular place to go bird watching when I was a boy cerca 1955.Glad to see it still has some good birds. Regards ...Eddy.

I forgot the noisy flock of 20 or so long tailed tits with a few great tits and blue tits tagging along.

It was great watching the Red Kites hunting in the corn stubble - saw my first Red Kite in Woburn - had no idea what it was at the time. I now see them nearly everywhere I go in Bedfordshire - usually single or in pairs - first time seen 4 together.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back