Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Windproof Fleece

Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 11:44   #1
Taxboy

Windproof Fleece

My only previous experience of these is they have the breathability of a bin liner and any exertion results in you becoming soaked from inside the jacket. Just wondering if technology has moved on in recent times.
I know I can always use a windproof outer but it's less of a faff to be able to wear just a single item. Alternatively do I just go out school and get a heavyweight shearling type fleece. Similarly don't want to go too technical and want something that will work chucked over "normal" clothing for an unplanned visit to the great outdoors

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 16:26   #2
rosbifs

Got to work out what you want from it

Warmth
Waterproof
Wind proof

A lot of investment goes into golf products, skiing and now cycling. I think they provide the best route for finding equipment although cycling probably least practical for other sports. I say that because they are more active designs than ‘walking’ so tend to accommodate, I’d like to say, my lifestyle.. golf products tend to be lighter and packable and allow freedom of movement, skiing warmer but heavier but less waterproof (cheaper products only waterproof to 3,000/5,000). Walking products tend to have a longer back...

I have arc’teryx jacket which is my warmest and is comfy but use an adidas golf products for rain and wind.
Old Thursday 10th October 2019, 16:51   #3
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
My only previous experience of these is they have the breathability of a bin liner and any exertion results in you becoming soaked from inside the jacket. Just wondering if technology has moved on in recent times.
I know I can always use a windproof outer but it's less of a faff to be able to wear just a single item. Alternatively do I just go out school and get a heavyweight shearling type fleece. Similarly don't want to go too technical and want something that will work chucked over "normal" clothing for an unplanned visit to the great outdoors

??

Pretty simple .... get whatever weight fleece jacket you need with Gortex lining - known as WINDSTOPPER. Ultimately it doesn't matter if you get the genuine Gortex, or some similar technology (membrane layer which has 'hole' structure that is sized to be water proof but will still wick moisture through it via mass transportation across the phase boundary). Make sure you get this membrane layer - exercise in futility otherwise. You should have no problems whatsoever with sweating.

It's Gortex or freeze.

You can also combine these with thermal (polypropylene etc) under layers, and/or Gortex outer shell layers if you need waterproofness against driving rain etc.

If you need more warmth than this then add a wool, or down layer between fleece and shell.

You also want Gortex membrane gloves and beanies. Boots too.

You won't ever look back.

NB ! If you ever need to wash any of these make sure you use a fine water egress filter on your washing machine as these garments will shed microplastics. They will even shed them to the atmosphere through wear, but I don't know what the answer is there. Invest in the best gear you can get and look after it and it will last you decades.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 14th October 2019, 11:32   #4
Taxboy

Thanks for confirming the technology has improved. I'll have a search around for something suitable

Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 17:12   #5
Steve Babbs
Steve Babbs

They're usually called softshells these days. A softshell is a very loose term which can have more-or-less no insulation to something that has quite a lot. I have this one - https://www.berghaus.com/mens-ghlas-...et/421536.html which I wear a lot.

@SteveBabbs
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: