Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Canon EOS R w/ Tamron 150-600 G2 focus issue

Old Thursday 3rd October 2019, 19:15   #1
elspedo
Photography degree student

Canon EOS R w/ Tamron 150-600 G2 focus issue

Hi all, i'm having an issue with the Tamron 150-600 G2 on my EOS R.

When the camera goes into power saving mode, the lens will not focus again when the camera has powered back on. It just wildly hunts and squeals a little bit at the short focussing distance.

If I turn the camera off and remount the lens it works again but by that time anything I had pointed my camera at has made a sharp exit.

I've updated the firmware in the camera to 1.4 but want to know if anyone else has had this issue before I go about purchasing the dock to update the lens, as if that's not going to fix it, I may as well save the money and send the lens back.

I've tried to contact Tamron through their web form but had no response yet so any help is appreciated.
Old Thursday 3rd October 2019, 21:25   #2
seawatcher

I read somewhere that the newer Tamron 150-600 G2 lenses work fine with the EOS-R and EOS-RP, whereas with older versions you need to use the tap-in console to update the lens firmware. I am afraid I cannot find the website where I read this (just did a search).
I use the EOS-RP, and have an older G2 manufactured before the camera was first launched. According to the Tamron website, the serial number indicated that I needed to update the firmware for the lens. Undeterred, I attached the EOS-RP to the G2 lens. The first few times it did make horrible noises, especially after powering down. Yet now, without me having done anything, this combination works a treat. That does not mean to say that your lens will stop hunting for focus, in which case you need to update the firmware, or ask your dealer to exchange for a lens with a newer serial number that is already updated to be used with the EOS-R or RP.
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 14:11   #3
elspedo
Photography degree student

Thanks for the reply, I had the lens in to be updated and it's come back with exactly the same problem so seems like a faulty lens.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: