Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Vlasowae

Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 18:46   #1
l_raty
laurent raty

Vlasowae

Quote:
vlasowae
V. F. Vlasova (fl. 1930) Russian collector on Wrangel I., Siberia (per Beolens et al., 2014) (subsp. Plectrophenax nivalis).
I don't find the OD here either, but the Vlasova of Wrangel Island in this period was Варвара Феоктистовна Власова (Varvara Feoktistovna Vlasova).
A picture of her: [here].
Her name in full in the same book: [here, 1st § of the page], where the author (Aref Ivanovich Mineev, 1900-1973) also calls her his wife.

Last edited by l_raty : Thursday 17th October 2019 at 22:17.
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 13:21   #2
Taphrospilus

OD should be p. 124, 130 of:

Quote:
Portenko, L. A. (1937). (The birds of Wrangel Island.) Problems of the Arctic 3 : 99-130 (Russian with English summary; see Orn. Mber. 1939 : 94-95).
No idea if this was published in russian. But I am sure you have seen this extract from The Ibis.
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 13:52   #3
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

• the (Siberian) Snow Bunting ssp. Plectrophenax nivalis vlasowae PORTENKO 1937

Neither I could find the OD itself (Portenko 1937*), but see Portenko's Birds of the Chukchi Peninsula and Wrangel Island [a k a; Pticy Cukotskogo poluostrova i ostrova Vrangelya], vol. II, (posthumous/edition, dated "1989"), here (alt. here).

Mrs Vlasova is repeatedly mentioned, (mostly) as either, simply "Vlasova" or "V. F. Vlasova" (but even as "V. R. Vlasova" alt. ""V. P. Vlasova", on p.27, resp. p.242, which I assume are mere typos!?).

However, sure, "our" lady ought to be Varvara Feoktistovna Vlasova [Варвара Феоктистовна Власова (no years found)], wife of Aref Ivanovich Mineev (1900–1973), second Director of the newly established settlement on Wrangel Island, with whom she spent four, very close to five, years on Wrangel Island [from what I can tell; from 28th of August 1929 until they left, the 21st of August 1934 (Mineev seems to have remained, officially, in charge of the "Polar Station" until 1 September] ... during that Period she was the only woman on the Island! (all according to here, here and here, all in Russian, and elsewhere, all helped by Google translate ).

Her husband ought to have been this guy: Ареф Иванович Минеев, here alt. here, or here (all in Russian), ... and if so, she ("the widow", not mentioned by name) was still around in 1977 ... that is, of course, if Mr Mineev didn't/hadn't remarried.

Maybe of some help, in finding her years/Life span?

Could she possibly be found here?

Another piece (in the puzzle), that might be helpful could be:
Quote:
Quote:
Постановлением ЦИК Союза ССР 15 июня 1936 г. А.И. Минеев и В.Ф. Власова были награждены орденом Знак почёта «за выдающиеся заслуги в области исследования и освоения Арктики».
Google Translate:
Quote:
Decree of the CEC of the USSR on June 15, 1936 A.I. Mineev and V.F. Vlasova was awarded the Order of Honor "for outstanding services in the field of research and development of the Arctic"
[from here]
She herself apparently (according to here) wrote:
Власова В.Ф. Эскимосы острова Врангеля // Советская Арктика. 1935. № 5. С. 60–65.
Vlasova V.F. Eskimos of Wrangel Island // Soviet Arctic. 1935. No. 5. P. 60–65.

Good luck finding the missing pieces (years)!

Björn (... who doesn't understand any Russian, at all)

*OD: Portenko, L.A [Leonid Aleksandrovich Portenko (1896–1972)]. 1937. Птицы острова Врангеля "Birds of Wrangel Island" (in Russian), was published in Problemy Arktiki ("Arctic Issues", or ditto "Problems", according to some references), No.3 [i.e. ПРОБЛЕМЫ АРКТИКИ №3. Изд-во Главсевморпути. Ленинград 1937], pp. 99–130. The OD itself, of P. n. vlasowae, is allegedly, supposedly found on p.124 (in Russian), alt. on p. 130 (in English).

The closest I got to finding it ... took me here (thus only to the Cover, and List of Content).

Last edited by Calalp : Friday 18th October 2019 at 13:55. Reason: Red & italics
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 14:08   #4
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
OD should be p. 124, 130 of:

No idea if this was published in russian. But I am sure you have seen this extract from The Ibis.
I found it in Google Books, albeit -- of course -- snippets only: https://books.google.com/books?hl=nl...L4C&q=vlasowae... A Russian-only version, it seems.
Dedication:
Quote:
Новую отличаемую мною форму я называю в честь собирательницы врангелевских птиц В. Ф. Власовой.
= "I name the new form distinguished by me in honour of the collector of Wrangelian birds V. F. Vlasova."
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 15:02   #5
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Власова in the same Google Books view ...

/B
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 15:52   #6
l_raty
laurent raty

Note also "Власова и Минеев" in the second snippet, under Phalaropus fulicarius -- confirming, if it was still necessary, that Portenko's Власова was indeed Mineev's.
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 21:45   #7
Calalp
Björn Bergenholtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_raty View Post
... if it was still necessary. ...
Nope, no longer necessary, I'm all convinced, just wanted to point out some possible (Russian) clues, onwards ...

Well, that's it, I cannot reach any further. Good luck guys!

/B
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 03:47   #8
Taphrospilus

Could be that she was born 1905 here (but no final evidence that's her)?
Old Sunday 20th October 2019, 09:38   #9
l_raty
laurent raty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taphrospilus View Post
Could be that she was born 1905 here (but no final evidence that's her)?
The patronymic (the 'middle name', which always reflects the name of the father in East Slavic naming conventions) is different here -- Varvava Pavlovna (= daughter of Pavel [i.e., Paul]), vs. Varvara Feoktistovna (= daughter of Feoktist [i.e., Theoctistus]).
In principle, a patronymic does not change. (There are exceptions, but they are very rare; normally your father remains the same person for your entire life.) Thus different patronymics should, in the huge majority of cases, indicate different persons.
(This is probably, in fact, a better indication than different last names -- which, for a woman, may indicate the same person before and after a marriage.)
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: