• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herbicides could END life on earth (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Absolutely fascinating article !
"Dr. Zach Bush went from developing chemotherapy to fighting pesticide-makers"
"every year, more [is put] into the global environment ... [it] has really undermined, not just human biology, but biology in our water systems, soil systems, oceans, and now [is] destroying the ecosystem at large."
https://www.salon.com/2019/10/14/wh...MvtOi2i8cMrPzuSNqN8b_93uW7gTtthNX42jgiapw4Ki0

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Howard Lyman has been lecturing on this for decades. I heard him up close in Tarzana Cal. circa 1994.

http://www.humanedecisions.com/howard-lyman-story-of-a-cattle-rancher-turned-vegan/
Interesting, and lots of commonality in that.
However this is not a carnivore vs vegan issue -
It's about organic closed loop natural fertility with all the essential microbiome factors vs sterile, damaging, health compromising chemical systems.
Many vegans don't seem to realise that plants have parents too. Plants are living entities, and have unique spirits - just have a look at my avatar photo (in my gallery https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/592929/ppuser/92780) !

Interesting, and lots of commonality in that.
However this is not a carnivore vs vegan issue -
It's about organic closed loop natural fertility with all the essential microbiome factors vs sterile, damaging, health compromising chemical systems.
Many vegans don't seem to realise that plants have parents too. Plants are living entities, and have unique spirits - just have a look at my avatar photo (in my gallery https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/592929/ppuser/92780) !

Lyman has been outspoken about vegan vs non-vegan, however, his main concern by far is chemical farming.

Lyman has been outspoken about vegan vs non-vegan, however, his main concern by far is chemical farming.
Yes, the chemicals and artificial fertilizers harm/kill both the soil and fauna (a category to which we belong!).

Animal manure is an essential part of the ecosystem equation - especially since so many of the indigenous 'megafauna' herbivores around the world have been decimated. This has a huge detrimental effect on the environment as the plants evolved in concert with them. Set stocking of domesticated animals also degrades the land, as natural predators would have kept them constantly moving, thus limiting excessive impact in any one area.

There have been trials of using composted sewerage sludge to aid soil fertility/carbon/microbiome, however increasingly that 'resource' is contaminated with pervasive microplastics in the loop, to say nothing of other contaminants - hormones, chemicals, heavy metals etc.

It seems we are being squeezed between a rock and a hard place with the present modus operandi ......

....There have been trials of using composted sewerage sludge to aid soil fertility/carbon/microbiome, however increasingly that 'resource' is contaminated with pervasive microplastics in the loop, to say nothing of other contaminants - hormones, chemicals, heavy metals etc.
It seems we are being squeezed between a rock and a hard place with the present modus operandi ......

Until recently, some undeveloped nations were able to use human fertilizer, and maybe some still do. But as you noted, the invasion of modern "foods" and drugs has poisoned that possibility in most places.

A few years ago on my patch in Russia, the utility companies sent a work gang to spray saplings along a massive stretch under their pylons and phone lines.

The intention of course was to stop small trees becoming big trees and causing problems with access or whatever but, the stuff they sprayes was atrociously indicriminate and all other plants and grasses around spraye sapleings, just blackened and died. It obviously must have killed eggs, larvae and adult insects in huge numbers. Thankfully, this has proven not to be annual and aprt from all the obvious, dead saplings, everything seems to have recovered.

This part of Russia is too cold and wet for any agricultural crops to thrive so we have abundant grassland, huge fields of green which seems to just stand idle, I've seen the grass cut a couple of times but that's it.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back