Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019

Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 09:32   #226
Odradek

Can someone tell me if there is rolling ball/globe effect to see in any of those models?
Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 09:37   #227
42za

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I am NOT going to melt a hole in my focus wheel!
Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 09:53   #228
Swedpat

Quote:
The whole line of Kowa XD's are class leading in FOV not just the 6.5x32. The 8x32 at 8.8 degree and the 10x42 at 7.2 degree are really unheard of in a roof prism. So no matter what magnification you pick it is going to be wider angle than anything else on the market and when you think about it a big FOV is one of the most important features birders want in their binoculars. I think they will all be very good sellers for Kowa for this reason. Your correct that 6.5x32 is unusual in that there has never been a low magnification binocular with that wide of a FOV but I think the other magnifications are going to very attractive also. Remember too that the AFOV is what gives you that immersive WOW factor and the 10x42 with it's 72 degree AFOV should have a lot of WOW. What is interesting is that even though the edges on these are softer than say a Swarovski SV you don't really notice it as much because the FOV is so big and the on axis view is very sharp. I get the 10x42 tomorrow. They upgraded the shipping to UPS Next Day Air (for no charge) so I will report on it tomorrow. Good nite.
I understand, they are all classleading in this respect while the 65 deg AFOV of 6,5x32 is extraordinary with such a low power in a roof glass.

Last edited by Swedpat : Wednesday 16th October 2019 at 13:25.
Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 11:25   #229
Troubador

Quote:

I am NOT going to melt a hole in my focus wheel!
Dennis

You risk blindness staring at the glare in your EL 8x32, you terrify mountain goats stalking them up The Rockies, but you won't put a tiny teeny tiny invisible hole in your focus wheel, which won't happen anyway if its aluminium?

Where is your commitment to the cause, son?

Lee
Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 14:22   #230
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by codarossa View Post
Thanks Denco for your review, very interesting.

Could you please so kind to post a photo of the oculars of the 6.5x32 or maybe to provide the diameter of the oculars?

What about the vision at the edge of the field of view?

Best,
Codarossa
The oculars are 43.5mm on the OD. So they are pretty good size and the rubber is very comfortable like the EDG. The eye cups are very positive, smooth and tight with no slack or play as you adjust them also. The edges are softer than say the EDG but it is a mild drop off and as I said the FOV is so big and there is a big sweet spot so you don't notice the edges much when you are using them unless you move your object to the edge.

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 16th October 2019 at 14:24.
Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 14:23   #231
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Dennis

You risk blindness staring at the glare in your EL 8x32, you terrify mountain goats stalking them up The Rockies, but you won't put a tiny teeny tiny invisible hole in your focus wheel, which won't happen anyway if its aluminium?

Where is your commitment to the cause, son?

Lee
You can sacrifice yours to the CAUSE, dad! Your the moderator.

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 16th October 2019 at 14:25.
Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 14:56   #232
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
I understand, they are all classleading in this respect while the 65 deg AFOV of 6,5x32 is extraordinary with such a low power in a roof glass.
I agree. The 6.5x32 is very unusual and different in that respect and as I said it is the first low magnification binocular that I liked due to the 65 degree AFOV. It is different. it is the first low magnification binocular that WOWS me.

Last edited by [email protected] : Wednesday 16th October 2019 at 14:59.
Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 14:59   #233
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odradek View Post
Can someone tell me if there is rolling ball/globe effect to see in any of those models?
I see any rolling ball in the 6.5x32. I don't think any of these new Kowa's are flat field design so you shouldn't have any rolling ball problems with any of them.

Last edited by [email protected] : Thursday 17th October 2019 at 03:50.
Old Wednesday 16th October 2019, 19:56   #234
Troubador

Quote:

You can sacrifice yours to the CAUSE, dad! Your the moderator.

Lee
Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 04:39   #235
[email protected]

The new Kowa BDII-XD 10x42 is very impressive. I received it today from USA Binoculars. The quality is very high just like the 6.5x32. I can't find anything wrong with it and I am pretty picky. The focuser is smooth and has no slack, the IPD tension is perfect and the eye cups move smoothly without any play and there are three adjustments. I can actually use it at the 2nd click on the eye cups without blackouts and that is rare for me. Compared to something like the Nikon HG 10x42 the Kowa is more compact, it is lighter, it has a bigger FOV, it controls glare as well and it controls CA better. The only advantage I see with the HG is the edges are sharper and the Kowa compensates with a bigger FOV. The Kowa must have a lot of fluorite crystal in it's lenses as they advertise because it has hardly any CA. It showed less CA than My Swarovski SV 12x50's. I have heard Kowa's are known for good CA control. It is a very good value for $400.00 in a roof prism.

Last edited by [email protected] : Thursday 17th October 2019 at 04:48.
Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 10:35   #236
Swedpat

Thanks for sharing your impression Denco!
Having both 6,5x32 and 10x42 is great!
I am just not sure I understand what you mean with:
"I can actually use it at the 2nd click on the eye cups without blackouts". Blackouts can be an issue with long eye relief and when eyecups are not possible to extend enough. So at the 2nd click blackouts don't use to be a problem unless a very long eye relief.
Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 12:29   #237
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

I don't think Kowa would put Fluorite glass in a 400 dollar binocular. Below is a quote from USA Binoculars.

"Kowa XD Lenses: Kowa’s Advanced XD Lenses have characteristics close to Fluorite Crystals, and when combined with a concave lens possessing special dispersion properties, reduces chromatic aberration to almost non-existent levels, for razor-sharp images".

Glad the 10X42 seems like a nice glass Dennis, as far as I have seen the HG has less distortion than the Kowa.

Remember folks, in the end, you always get what you pay for, nothing more or less. These are a nice economical glass for many outside of the optic-nut arena to enjoy at a modest price. Additionally, for those who are cost conscious when buying optics, a nice alternative.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 13:39   #238
gcole

I totally agree. With quality comes a higher price, especially with optics. I have known this since the first pair of Leitz binoculars I purchased back in the early 70’s. Now with countries like China and others, that price to quality is shrinking every year. Personally I am having trouble distinguishing the real difference between a well made $500 piece of glass and the $1000 to $1500 scopes /binoculars I have owned or handled. These new Kowa’s seem to fall in that well made $500 range. Whether the new Kowa’s glass has real Fluorite or is just another variety of ED glass, it will not be long before the only difference between the thousands of dollar optics versus the hundred dollars optics will be ??? I will leave that to some one else’s opinion. Now having said all this I just ordered a pair of the Kowa 6.5x32 out of curiosity. I do not need another pair. After my curiosity is satisfied I will give my opinion with a short review. I will not return these to USA Binoculars which by the way still took the Bird12 discount code today even though I no longer see it on their website ... you will see these here for sale in the classified section.
Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 16:37   #239
Troubador

My unit has just arrived after an overnight drive from Germany and then in an unheated warehouse. The focus wheel is way colder than the armour. Its aluminium just like Kowa Germany (who checked with Kowa Japan) said.
No red hot needles required. In haste on way to family meeting so no time to view through it.

Lee
Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 17:18   #240
Swedpat

Quote:
What I mean is because I have shallow eye sockets usually I have to use the eye cups on most binoculars fully extended so the eye relief matches the eye cup length and the exit pupil hits my eyes without blackouts. With the
Kowa 10x42 I don't need to use the third click stop to avoid blackouts. It is perfect on the second click stop.
Ok, I got it!
I plan to visit a big optics dealer next month and hopefully try out among other some of the new Kowas, especially the 6,5x32.
Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 19:01   #241
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Dennis,

FOV 7.2 (Kowa)VS 6.9 (HG) is not much of a difference. I think the $$ of the Kowa is the attraction. I can only compare the 8X32 Kowa and the 8X42 Nikon MHG, so not really a good comparison.
As far as I am concerned the MHG is still a well done glass for the asking price. There are many other models I believe are wayyyyyy over overpriced, esp the premium glass.

If one needs a light 8X32, that initial impressions are, it is constructed well (time will tell), and it has a usable FOV of slightly less than 8 degrees, and cost $399, then the Kowa is a viable glass for that person.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 19:41   #242
gcole

Quote:
You enter the discount code BIRD12 on checkout for 12% off. I talked them into expedited shipping.I wonder if they will compare at all to the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42.

https://www.usa-binoculars.com/produ...ngle-binocular
Dennis, Where did your order ship from ? USA-Binoculars states they have various shipping locations in the USA. Just wondering if they were dropped shipped from Kowa direct. Thanks, Gwen
Old Thursday 17th October 2019, 21:36   #243
gcole

Quote:
Direct from Kowa in Torrance, CA.
Thanks Dennis
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 02:43   #244
lgguy

This is exciting to see. I have the Genesis 8.5x44. No complaints about the image but smaller and less weight would be nice. If Kowa makes a similar update to the Genesis I'd have to trade up.

Until then I was thinking about picking up the 8x42 Monarch HG but the BDII might be all I need.
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 03:33   #245
Patudo

Kicking myself for not trying the 6.5 at Birdfair now, especially as my Fieldpro-owning brother did, and thought it was a pretty decent unit. I thought the image showed by Kowa's 6x30 YF was really good and although the BD IIs are roofs and inevitably more expensive (someone at Kowa really ought to look at the business case for up-marketing the YF to Prominar or Genesis equivalent...), it's probably easier to achieve really good image quality in a lower magnification binocular. As some have commented, optical quality in lower priced binoculars is now so good that field of view is now being targeted in order to get ahead of the pack - Kite's 8x30 Lynx offers 151m and this BD II 8x32 a tad more (154m). That's the same FOV as the much vaunted Nikon 8x30 EII, with 16.5mm eye relief (as opposed to the EII's 13.8mm, which I found insufficient for use with glasses when I tried it). The 6.5x is probably the closest thing one can get to the Komz and Leitz 6x24s (collectors' favourites and thus rare and expensive), somewhat inferior in FOV (10 vs 12 degrees) but more punchy in terms of magnification, with far more modern coatings, and glasses friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcole View Post
Now with countries like China and others, that price to quality is shrinking every year...

...PWhether the new Kowa’s glass has real Fluorite or is just another variety of ED glass, it will not be long before the only difference between the thousands of dollar optics versus the hundred dollars optics will be ???
I second those sentiments wholeheartedly. Price to quality today is already pretty impressive and I'm pretty sure will keep improving.
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 08:18   #246
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Question Serious Questions Now ......

Okay, let's cut the bull ......

Let's answer the tough questions:
1. How many turns of the focuser from cf to infinity ?
2. Can we see a close up photo of the eye cups in fully down position from the ocular end (ie. how much ER will the rim eat up?)
3. What's the field quality like? ie. define it in terms of sweet spot size, pincushion amounts and positions, field curvature, and is there any astigmatism?
4. What is the colour rendition like ?
5. Unless folks are getting these from the Narnia binocular shop where crystals are actually a thing, then that FL glass is going to be needed to control CA in such a short bin - so what's the CA response as you travel across the field?

6.5x vs 8x .......?
Can anyone detail a case for/ against ? What circumstances would the 6.5x be used in and hold the advantage? What height of tree canopy (and canopy dwelling little geewhizzits) would the 6.5x start to be outclassed by the 8x ?

10x42 - no pussyfooting around now ......
Kowa BDII-XD ? or Nikon MHG ?

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 18th October 2019, 14:45   #247
wdc

You're going to need a bigger sample size of users to get comprehensive answers Chosun. Hurry up Lee!

-Bill
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 15:02   #248
Troubador

My personal test for focus speed it how many times I have to turn the focus wheel to refocus from a farmhouse 4km / 2.5miles away onto the corner of my office 2 metres away and the answer for the little Kowa is 0.5 of a turn, so it is as fast as a Conquest HD 8x32 and twice as fast as SF 8x42. For further comparison and Ultravid HD 8x32 is 0.85 turns and Kowa 8x33 is 0.75. All figures are approximate but have been checked a few times.

The eyecups have 4 positions and I have no problems using them with my spectacles.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Friday 18th October 2019 at 15:04.
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 16:26   #249
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
You're going to need a bigger sample size of users to get comprehensive answers Chosun. Hurry up Lee!

-Bill
Bill

We all use and report on binos in different ways because we see things differently and have different tastes and priorities. All points of view whichever member they come from are welcome.

Lee
Old Friday 18th October 2019, 16:37   #250
jgraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
My personal test for focus speed it how many times I have to turn the focus wheel to refocus from a farmhouse 4km / 2.5miles away onto the corner of my office 2 metres away and the answer for the little Kowa is 0.5 of a turn, so it is as fast as a Conquest HD 8x32 and twice as fast as SF 8x42. For further comparison and Ultravid HD 8x32 is 0.85 turns and Kowa 8x33 is 0.75. All figures are approximate but have been checked a few times.

The eyecups have 4 positions and I have no problems using them with my spectacles.

Lee
I appreciate this info Lee. Speed of focus is very, very high on my list. I personally do not like a real fast focus because I find that even if a bino has super sharp glass, it is very easy to overshoot, and much easier with a slower one. Just my personal preference.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: