• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (6 Viewers)

Four year ticks for me today, the drake Smew showed well at last on one of the midwest pools, a Sparrowhawk flew through, a Green Sandpiper was back on the hall lake and a Cetti's Warbler was calling along the canal ditch. This brings the year list to 83 species of which I've seen 78. However I still haven't seen a Snipe, they have become really scarce lately.
7 Shelduck were on the north pit and a Kingfisher flew through, the pair of Stonechat were still in the middle section.
Chris Edwards said he is arranging two sponsored bird counts this year but I don't know what dates he has chosen, they should be good fun.
The work party were busy road repairing.
Geoff

Geoff try and get them to do 5th May our spring 'all-dayer'. I will contact Steve Nuttall (belvide)and Nick Barlow (marsh lane) so we can have a 4 way contest.
B :)John

Geoff try and get them to do 5th May our spring 'all-dayer'. I will contact Steve Nuttall (belvide)and Nick Barlow (marsh lane) so we can have a 4 way contest.
B :)John
Hi John,
I have emailed Nick Martin mentioning the above date, but it may depend on what other commitments they have around that time.
Geoff

Managed to get two more year ticks today, a Redshank on the hall lake and 2 Raven mobbing a Short-eared Owl over the bund hills about 1:30pm.
The drake Smew was back to being elusive, just glimpsed in the distance on the middle pool. A Cetti's Warbler sang briefly in the canal ditch and there were 81 Greylag Geese in adjacent fields but no unusual geese were with them.
Geoff

10/1/11 DBP 11:09 Grey Plover over, Willow Tit working North along the canal hedgerow.
mid pools male Smew and a male Goldeneye displaying to a female. 2 Goosander on pool NE area and another over. 4 Shelduck on the North pit, 600 lapwing over the private area. Dosthill NR Cetti's Warbler, Goldeneye and Kingfisher.

Regards, John
Nice one John.
It's a shame I didn't go to the reserve today with two new year ticks available, List now stands at 86. I see that the Short-eared Owl was also seen again, still I did see the Great Grey Shrike at Upper Longdon, Cannock Chase, made a change.
Geoff

An Oystercatcher on Dosthill NR was 4 to 5 weeks earlier than usual, a Goosander was also there. 8 Shelducks were reported. A Collared Dove and 2 singing Mistle Thrush were new for 2012. A Kingfisher was along the river and the pair of Stonechat were still in the middle section of the reserve.
The year list now stands at 89 species.
Some of the volunteers were clearing the islands on Fishers Mill Pool, just in time for the Oystercatchers.
Geoff

Afternoon visit, a Short-eared Owl was hunting around the bund hills and a Little Egret was on the north pit with 8 Shelduck. 4 Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk were soaring over Dosthill Wood. The Oystercatcher was still on Dosthill NR and a Woodcock was by the southern meadow but still no Snipe were seen.
Geoff

Early afternoon visit today, 2 Buzzards over the silt pool, 5 Goldeneye on the middle pools no sign of the Smew, 6 Shell Duck on north pit along with a Little Egret, a Water Rail on one of the small pools at the eastern end of north pit was followed by a Grey Wagtail on the river close by, SEO seen over the bund then reappeared over new reedbed pool and made its way up to north pit crossing back over to dosthill reserve, a second Little Egret flew north up the reserve.
All in not a bad day.

Martin

Early afternoon visit today, 2 Buzzards over the silt pool, 5 Goldeneye on the middle pools no sign of the Smew, 6 Shell Duck on north pit along with a Little Egret, a Water Rail on one of the small pools at the eastern end of north pit was followed by a Grey Wagtail on the river close by, SEO seen over the bund then reappeared over new reedbed pool and made its way up to north pit crossing back over to dosthill reserve, a second Little Egret flew north up the reserve.
All in not a bad day.

Martin
Hi Martin, the weather wasn't bad either. I did see Snowdrops in flower by the hall. Two Short-eared Owl were reported but I only saw one of them.
The Grey Wagtail makes 90 species for the year.
At dusk I looked for Barn Owl but all I had were 15 Little Egret flying to roost at Kingsbury or maybe Midd Lakes.
Geoff.

2 pair of Pintail on the north pit and my first Snipe of the year were the highlights. The male Stonechat was seen again and 3 Little Egret were on the north pit.
A Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, 1 Goldcrest and a Treecreeper were in the Mill Plantation.
The Pintail take the year list to 91 species.
Geoff

Hi to everyone, I am passing your way on wednesday or thursday to go to Yorkshire. I cant find a decent map of where the car park is. Is it easy to find. Any maps of the lakes and viewing hides etc? Directions from the A4091 would be good too, what to look out for.
Many thanks,

toad.

Round the reserve at first light today, at the northern end a Snipe 10 Shellduck, 6 Goldeneye and 4 Little Egret were present.
A Pied Wagtail at the farm and a Cettis at the Heronry pool Provided useful year ticks.

Martin.

Quiet birdwise, a Stonechat was in the middle section, 3 Siskin were with a few Lesser Redpoll in Mill Plantation, but best of all was a flyover Peregrine as I got back to the car park, the 92nd species for the year.
Geoff

Hi to everyone, I am passing your way on wednesday or thursday to go to Yorkshire. I cant find a decent map of where the car park is. Is it easy to find. Any maps of the lakes and viewing hides etc? Directions from the A4091 would be good too, what to look out for.
Many thanks,

toad.
Hi Toad, If you check the RSPB website it will give you directions to Middleton Lakes. The reserve is signposted off the A4091. The carpark has a notice board with free maps of the reserve available.
For info on what to see I would suggest you check the pages of this forum or the notice board when you arrive.
Hope you enjoy yourself.
Geoff

A cold but sunny day, many of the pools had some ice on them, very few birds were noted.
1 Little Egret, 1 Goosander, 7 Lapwing, 2 Snipe, 1 Meadow Pipit, 1 Grey Wagtail and 1 Pied Wagtail were the highlights!
The WeBS bird surveyors were doing their monthly count but I don't think they saw much either, they did see 3 Snipe.
Geoff

Another cold day and more pools frozen up.
1 Little Egret, 10 Shelduck, 4 Pochard, a Redshank was reported along the river, 1 Kingfisher, 1 Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in Mill Plantation, 1 pair Stonechat, a Cetti's Warbler sang at the silt pond and a Willow Tit called by the southern meadow.
Geoff

I see on Tame Valley Birding that Steve C had a fly over Bittern at the southern meadow yesterday, hope it stays around.
My highlights today were 2 Little Egret, 1 Goosander, 2 Water Rails and a Skylark singing.
Bittern brings the year list to 93 species.
Regarding some one reporting a possible Slavonian Grebe today, I didn't see it but will keep a look out for it.
Geoff

Last edited:
Only got as far as Fishers Mill Pool and Dosthill Lake with the showery weather.
A Brambling was with a small flock of Chaffinch in the Mill Plantation, this bird was also recorded on the notice board by someone on the 17th Jan. (94th species for 2012). Otherwise only 3 Goosander over were of note.
I did notice that the two old hides at Middleton Hall Lake are no longer there, I wonder if they will be replaced? Note that they are not RSPB owned and were on private land.
Geoff

The last two days have been quiet birdwise with few highlights. Today 1 Little Egret, 4 Goosander, 1 Peregrine, 2 Snipe, 1 Robin feeding from the hand, a Cetti's Warbler was singing at the silt pond and a Treecreeper was in Mill Plantation.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back