• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (5 Viewers)

RSPB 4-7pm

Middleton Hall Lake, 2 Green Sandpiper

Fishers Mill Pool, 5 Wigeon c20 Teal

New Reedbed, 1 LRP

North Pit, Whinchat on fence post by signpost

No sign of the Merlin

Up to 3 Hobby were reported this afternoon (I had one over the river) whilst a Greenshank flew calling over the north of the complex.

Thanks suthyyy and TR3K etc. for keeping us up to date with the reserve while I was away. The 26 ca. Yellow Wagtail were particularly interesting. I must check out the southern meadow more often.
I have yet to find out if anyone did the All Dayer on Saturday 3rd September in competition with Upton Warren and Belvide, although I believe some of the regular birders were on the reserve. (The only good bird I found that day was a Barred Warbler, not Midd. Lakes but Saltfleet, Lincs.)
I did start my September bird count today for the reserve and managed 56 species in a few hours birding. Highlights were 2 Little Egret, 1 Hobby, 1 juvenile LRP, 1 juv. Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, 1 Greenshank and 1 Green Sandpiper all on new reedbed pool. Another 3 Green Sand were on the silt pond. 2 Meadow Pipit on the north pit were my first since April and a Spotted Flycatcher was in the willows by Fishers Mill Pool.
For the record at least 95 species were seen in August, well up on previous years and 151 species have been seen for the year so far.
Geoff

Last edited:
welcome back Geoff! Great to have you back :t:
also great news on the increased numbers compared to previous years! Lets hope the trend continues over the next few years!

Thanks for all the welcome backs but I'll be away again next Monday. (I like Midd. Lakes but I also like Lincolnshire).
Today I looked for the Yellow Wagtails in the cow pasture but failed to see any, however I've just had an email from Jack Mallinson to sat there were several on a dung heap by the entrance to the RSPB today, also with them were 2 Wheatears. I may have a look tomorrow.
This morning there were still 2 Dunlin (though one was nearly taken by a Hobby) 1 LRP and 1 Ringed Plover on new reedbed pool. 3 Green Sandpiper, (1 Fishers Mill Pool and 2 Hall Lake).
The Spotted Flycatcher was still around FMP/Canal Zone with several warblers including Lesser Whitethroat, Willow Warbler and Blackcap.
Geoff

Afternoon visit to the Dosthill side of the reserve. It was quiet birdwise, a Cetti's Warbler sang briefly, 1 Greenshank flew through calling and a Common Tern was on the waterski pit.

Afternoon visit to the Dosthill side of the reserve. It was quiet birdwise, a Cetti's Warbler sang briefly, 1 Greenshank flew through calling and a Common Tern was on the waterski pit.

Was quiet RSPB side early evening 3 Green Sandpiper at silt pool then flew off and we caught up with them at Fishers Mill also 1 Little Egret over. No sign of the Spotted Flycatcher.

Afternoon visit, 3 Buzzard were soaring, a Hobby flew through. The juvenile LRP and Ringed Plover were still on the new reedbed pool but there were now 4 Dunlin present. 6 Green Sandpiper were seen (2 Hall Lake, 3 Silt Pond and 1 at North Pit, all seem settled). A Common Tern was on the north pit.
Geoff

This morning the new reedbed pool held 1 Little Grebe, 1 Little Egret, 1 juv. LRP, 3 Ringed Plover and 4 Dunlin. 3 Green Sandpiper were on Hall Lake. A Grey Wagtail by Fishers Mill Pool was my first since April.

This morning the new reedbed pool held 1 Little Grebe, 1 Little Egret, 1 juv. LRP, 3 Ringed Plover and 4 Dunlin. 3 Green Sandpiper were on Hall Lake. A Grey Wagtail by Fishers Mill Pool was my first since April.

Was there around 3pm had pretty much the same as you Geoff.

Not much change from yesterday.
New reedbed pool, 1 juv. LRP, 4 Ringed Plover, 4 Dunlin, 1 Snipe and a Greenshank flew in.
Hall Lake, 2 Green Sandpiper.
A Willow Warbler was singing and 3 Cormorants were in the dead tree, I should have checked for Shag.
Geoff

Was there this morning around 8 quiet bird-wise

Middleton Hall Lake, 2 Green Sandpiper

Weasel ran across the path near the Silt Pool

New Reedbed, 3 Ringed Plover, Little Egret, Redshank over

No bird records for a week! It must have been quiet. At least Lincs. was OK with 4 Buff-breasted Sandpiper, 1 Grey Phalarope and an American Black Tern seen.
Highlights at Midd Lakes this afternoon were 1 Wheatear (FMP area) and 3 Jay, all month ticks. There were 7 Dunlin, 3 Ringed Plover and a Little Egret on new reedbed pool with a Snipe on north pit and a Green Sandpiper on the silt pond. A Coal Tit was on the feeders.
I was hoping the north pit wader scrapes would have been cut while I was away but they were still overgrown, however most of the other areas have been mown.

Last edited:
Hi - Geoff - nice to see u are still plugging away, when not in Lincs! Hav'nt been up for a while, just birding locally around SBridge (a couple of Black Terns at a local pool a week or so ago) - Currently in Seville and moving on tomorrow to the Tarifa/Gibraltar for 3/4 days so should pick up some reasonable migration and poss Ruppells' Vulture altho there has also been a White-Backed Vulture reported this week!:eek!:

Laurie:t:

Hi Laurie, Yes still plugging away at Midd Lakes, it can be boring at times but 2 year ticks today makes it worth while.
I finally caught up with the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on the feeders for 10 minutes, a fine male. Also a Stonechat was on reeds around new reedbed pool which was my 141 species for the year. There was also a report of a Whinchat but it had moved on when I got there.
There were still 7 Dunlin but now 4 Ringed Plover on new reedbed pool and a Hobby flew through.
Geoff

The work party were busy planting reed on the new reedbed pool this afternoon, the 5 remaining Dunlin and 4 Ringed Plover hung on for awhile then flew to the north pit where there was also a Redshank and 1 or 2 Snipe.
A Little Egret was on the river.

4 Ringed Plover and 3 Dunlin had returned to the new reedbed pool this morning and at least 2 Snipe were on the reserve. 2 Skylark and several Swallow and House Martin flew over, a Cetti's Warbler sang from across the river and a family party of 6 Jays were by the river. That's all folks.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back