• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in remote areas (1 Viewer)

I have never been to the Antarctic, but have found birds in Mongolia (the remotest I have ever been) very approachable, sometimes getting right close to them. I think how approachable a bird is really depends on the hunting pressure, not the remoteness. In Europe, birds in parks will eat out of your hand, here in Vietnam (where everything that moves is eaten, birds are extremely wary.

Yes I think generally birds that have had no contact with humans have no reason to fear man. Wasn't one of the reasons that dodo became exsticnt was cause it had never seen humans before and thus didn't flea in fear

I spent a summer as guide in Svalbard, a arctic archipelago, north of Norway. The birds were very tame and very approaching. A pair of Red Phalaropes (= Grey Phalaropes) were mating on my boots when I sat still....

sclateria said:
Ivory Gull has a reputation for being absolutely fearless.

Brad

Sanderlings in northern coastal Kenya will walk over over your feet. Tereks too will come close, as will Greater and Lesser Sandplovers.

John.

john barclay said:
Sanderlings in northern coastal Kenya will walk over over your feet. Tereks too will come close, as will Greater and Lesser Sandplovers.

John.

PS. a normal zoom digi camera should suffice.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back