• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid bn 8x32, are they still worthy? (1 Viewer)

.....I think that the BN is old school but I also think that patience, persistence, and the resulting experience are much more important for bird watching than whether one has a very good binocular or an excellent one.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Thanks for your thoughts Arthur. As far as I can remember, I've never been challenged by my BNs, in respect to finding birds or their identification. Saying that though, how would I know ;)

Greetings. The Leica 8x32BN gave me years of wonderful, enjoyable, and reliable service. As weight became an issue, I exchanged it for the Ultravid 8x32HD. Yes, I miss the old friend, but time moves on. Regards.

If luck comes my way, that's likely the road I would go down. I worry about the rolling ball experience of the top end Swaros - they are brilliant but that effect brings on slight nausea for me - I'm very susceptible to motion sickness.

Do you miss the ribs of the BN?

I had a 8x42 BA, a very impressive optical instrument despite being a bit dated. Not as bright as newer models but still as sharp as anything they make today.

The BN is an excellent binocular, no doubt elevated to cult status not only by its performance but also the quality of all the experiences owners have had with them. I know that's true for me. I got my 10x32 in 2001, loved it right out of the box, and it was my regular companion for many years. My partner is still using it, after I got the UVHD+, which offers improvements she tends not to notice or care about. (It's modestly brighter, and presents subtle contrasts better somehow.) So it's still around and shared sometimes; I wouldn't have wanted to part with it. It's odd, the only reason I even looked at the UV was that I was trying to avoid the temptation to get another, bigger brighter binocular... and then I wound up doing that anyway, when the right one finally came along. Oh well. Didn't Mae West say she could resist anything but temptation?

When buying a BN today, should one worry about the longevity of silver mirror coatings? Although presumably those could be serviced if necessary.

(Arthur - I didn't know the red BNs were company loaners. I thought that was a special edition, like the hunter's green or mariner's blue. I'll bet collectors pay well for those. Would you really change it to black?)

Worthy of purchase/ownership? Well, depending on the price, yes, certainly. .

It's a chunky and solid feeling 8x32 and at 630gr or so, I'm not sure it's going to satisfy your appreciation for lightweight optics.

When I use my 8x32BN frequently, I tend not to notice its optical imperfections but it does have some distortion and significant blurring at the edge of FOV. It's only when I use and optic with a flatter FOV and then go back to the BN that I say, "wow, optics have come a long way." Overall, it's a satisfying view with good contrast and most Monarch users who look through it normally comment how "clear" they are.

If you can find one for a good price, I don't think you'll be dissatisfied but if you have the option to wait a little longer and spent a little more later, you might be glad you waited for the FL or UltravidHD/+ or SV.

The Trinovid BA/BN made its mark in binocular history and is something that worth keeping in my collection. With that said, I'm more likely to sit on my patio with a Canon 10x30 IS II around my neck than the Leica, because the Canon gives me better views.

When buying a BN today, should one worry about the longevity of silver mirror coatings? Although presumably those could be serviced if necessary.

(Arthur - I didn't know the red BNs were company loaners. I thought that was a special edition, like the hunter's green or mariner's blue. I'll bet collectors pay well for those. Would you really change it to black?)

Hello Tenex,

If it needs service, the Leica agent has to remove the armour and the only replacement may be black. One of the virtues of the BN, if it were not made on a Friday, is their ruggedness, so it may not need service.

I last saw one on that electronic auction site with an outrageous buy it now price. There were no takers, so I cannot estimate its value to a collector. I am still waiting for an offer I cannot refuse.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Last edited:
If it needs service, the Leica agent has to remove the armour and the only replacement may be black.

Really? My BN was finally serviced several years ago to remove a visible speck that had somehow got onto an inner lens surface. It looked quite the same when returned, not like new armor (although I suppose BN armor isn't exactly new by now anyway...)

Armour is made to be removed for repairs but glues can sometimes be uncooperative and damage results so leading to new armour being required. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Lee

Hello,

I just saw this thread after post elsewhere. I hope I won't get in trouble for double posting. This seems like the more appropriate place.

I'm new here and know nothing about birds! I found this forum and thread while searching the internet for information on Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN binoculars.

I have the unique opportunity to buy a brand new pair of Trinovid 8x32 BNs from a local camera store. Just to reiterate... brand new, never been sold, in the original box, with all the accessories and paperwork. They are asking 535 GBP and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. What do you all think?

FWIW, I've spent the last week comparing them to the last generation Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion bins. I find the Trinovids are more forgiving with how I place my eyes, fit my larger hands better and have exceptional flare control. I also find the Leica colours to be more saturated. Chromatic aberrations are slightly less visible with the CLs. Sharpness was hard to compare, as one was 8x and the other 10x, but if I was forced to make a call, I'd actually guess that the Trinovids have the edge!
Is this possible, or am I nuts?

Cheers!

Hello,

I just saw this thread after post elsewhere. I hope I won't get in trouble for double posting. This seems like the more appropriate place.

I'm new here and know nothing about birds! I found this forum and thread while searching the internet for information on Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN binoculars.

I have the unique opportunity to buy a brand new pair of Trinovid 8x32 BNs from a local camera store. Just to reiterate... brand new, never been sold, in the original box, with all the accessories and paperwork. They are asking 535 GBP and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge. What do you all think?

FWIW, I've spent the last week comparing them to the last generation Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion bins. I find the Trinovids are more forgiving with how I place my eyes, fit my larger hands better and have exceptional flare control. I also find the Leica colours to be more saturated. Chromatic aberrations are slightly less visible with the CLs. Sharpness was hard to compare, as one was 8x and the other 10x, but if I was forced to make a call, I'd actually guess that the Trinovids have the edge!
Is this possible, or am I nuts?

Cheers!

Welcome to Birdforum. I own the Leica 8x32 BN and also the CL 8x30
former model.

They are both very nice small binoculars, and either one would be very
good. I also find the Leica very easy on the eyes, that means just a
pleasure to use. The Swaro. is good also, but it seems the field of view
is a bit less.

I would go ahead with that new BN, you seem to like it, and that is
what is most important.

Jerry

It is hard to compare an 8x32 and a 10x30. The 8x32 is going to have easier eye placement simply because of the bigger exit pupil. The Leica BN is known for it's saturated colors and is still a good glass although getting a little long in the tooth now. Of course some of the newer alpha 8x32's like the FL, EDG and especially the Swarovski SV are going to outperform the BN although at a greater price point. Keep that in mind. At the $700.00 price point I would be inclined to wait for the new Tract Toric 8x42 UHD with the Schott glass which should be out in about a month and will probably sell for about $700.00 or two others to look at are the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and Nikon HG 8x42 which can be had for around $800.00. I feel either one will outperform the BN especially in brightness and CA.

Last edited:
I've no experience with that particular bin, but I would have though that £535 is a little on the high side if only because it's such an old model. It might even have some collectors value if it's new in the box and never used, but as you've been trying for a week it's already lost that! ;) See if the shop will come down a little. I actually don't think it matters too much if it doesn't compare well technically with the latest and best if you like it; the image is still wonderful I'm sure, but it would be a point of negotiation to get the price down. Good luck!

Which Trinovid is this? The latest 8x32 Trinovid HD or the old Classic 8x32 Trinovid BN which was replaced by the 8x32 Ultravid around 2004 and is now a collectible?

What are the accessories that came with it ? Does it have a light weight leather zip around case?

Bob

Which Trinovid is this? The latest 8x32 Trinovid HD or the old Classic 8x32 Trinovid BN which was replaced by the 8x32 Ultravid around 2004 and is now a collectible?

What are the accessories that came with it ? Does it have a light weight leather zip around case?

Bob

Bob, he says it's the older BN, but brand new in it's box.

Personally I love the 8x32 BN, its my favorite BN. The BN line has a robust, bullet proof feel that really is stout, but on the heavy side compared to the Ultavid line. I find the 42mm size "Bricks" to be too heavy for my liking, yet I love the compact 8x32s, heavier than contemporary 32 size bins, but they feel wonderful in the hand.

I also like the optics, maybe not as bright as modern coatings, but plenty bright enough for me. For that price and being brand new, I'd buy them.

... See if the shop will come down a little. I actually don't think it matters too much if it doesn't compare well technically with the latest and best if you like it; the image is still wonderful I'm sure, but it would be a point of negotiation to get the price down. Good luck!

This is the "rock bottom" price. I am very close friends with a senior manager at the store and he says that their cost on them is $1250.00 CDN. Although they purchased them more than a decade ago the price won't drop below $900.00 (£535) anytime soon.

Bob

It is the earlier "classic" 8x32 Trinovid BN model. I have everything. The manual, warranty card, ocular cap, strap, the two interior white cardboard sleeves that the cap and strap came in and the strap is still in the heat sealed plastic wrap. The leather case is also supplied with the original hide shaped cardboard tag still attached.

...I also like the optics, maybe not as bright as modern coatings, but plenty bright enough for me. For that price and being brand new, I'd buy them.

You are right, maybe not as bight, but darn close! Over the last week I've been comparing the BNs to Nikon Monarch 3 8x42, Leica Silverline Ultravid 10x42, Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion and Swarovski 8.5x42 Field Pro binoculars.

I rank the brightness in this order.

1. Swarovski 8.5x42
1a. Leica Silverline Ultravid 10x42
2. Leica Trinovid 8x32
3. Nikon Monarch 3 8x42
4. Swarovski 10x30 CL Companion (last generation, just replaced in 2017)

I think that the price is good.

I use an 8x32 BA, as more modern alternatives have poorer flare control.
For observations near street lights at night the Conquest HD 8x32 and Nikon Monarch 8x42 HG are just not fit for purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back