• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First binoculars choice (1 Viewer)

jcc70

Hi there,

I want to buy a pair of binoculars, my first one, i am already bidding on a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30w, pretty sure they are nice but maybe a bit unpractical (?), anyway, i am watching these binoculars :

Hawke Nature-Trek 8×32 Binocular https://us.hawkeoptics.com/nature-trek-8x32-binocular.html

Celestron Nature DX 8x32 Binoculars https://www.celestron.com/products/nature-dx-8x32-binoculars

What i've noticed from the manufacturer specs is this :

The Celestron Nature DX 8x32 Binoculars says : Phase coated BaK-4 prisms for increased contrast and resolution

The Hawke Nature-Trek 8×32 Binocular says : Fully multi-coated optics to produce sharp images

What does that mean ? anyway from a quality manufacturing Hawke looks like a better brand than Celestron but i'm not quite sure this is just my own opinion.

As I said it would be my first pair of binoculars, I am also thinking about these 8 x 25 :

Celestron Outland X 8x25 Binocular https://www.celestron.com/products/outland-x-8x25-binocular

Hawke Nature-Trek 8×25 Binocular https://us.hawkeoptics.com/nature-trek-8x25-binocular.html

What makes me hesitate between 8 x 25 or 8 x 32 is that the 8 x 32 do have a higher exit pupil wich will be better for night vision, right ?

The Celestron Outland X 8x25 Binocular have a big Linear Field of View (430 ft (143 m) @1000 yds/m) but their Eye Relief is small (10 mm) maybe this (even not being an eyeglass wearer) will not make me enjoy this big FOV ?

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
I wouldn't really bank on there being any quality difference between the Hawke and the Celestron. Both companies likely source their products from the same Chinese manufacturers.

As for the fully multicoated versus phase coated question, I would place them in the following order of performance from lowest to highest...that is assuming all else is equal.

- uncoated
- single-coated
- multi-coated
- fully multicoated
- phase coated and fully-multicoated

The difference here is that fully multicoated means all glass surfaces have multiple layers of anti-reflective coating applied. Phase coating refers to a specific coating applied to the prism of the binocular and is only used in roof prism models because of the prism design.

A roof prism binocular can be fully multicoated but not phase coated. This typically applies to the lowest priced roof prism models. The lack of phase-coating can make the image look "softer" than a phase coated model of the same design.

Hope this helps.

The Hawke bins are far superior to the Celestron mentioned. However, save up a little bit more money and buy a set of these.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/uk/sightron-sii-blue-sky-8x32.html

Sure they are a little bit more expensive, but if you had the hawke, celestron and Sightron side by side, you'd be furious if you didn't pay that little bit extra for optics that are absolutely stellar for the price point.

I recently did a long multi country birding trip and only had the Sightrons as my binocular. I didn't miss anything nor did I find my optics lacking in any way at all. People whom tried them 'blind' without knowing their specifications or manufacturer couldn't believe what they were looking at performance wise from a 'cheap' binocular.

A roof prism binocular can be fully multicoated but not phase coated.
I don't understand this, the :
Celestron Nature DX 8x32 and Nature DX 8x25 Binoculars says on it specs :

-Phase coated BaK-4 prisms for increased contrast and resolution.
-Fully multi-coated optics provide brighter images by increasing light transmission through the entire optical path.

The lack of phase-coating can make the image look "softer" than a phase coated model of the same design.
Here i understand that phase coating would mean a sharper image.

A phase-coated binocular gives the user the impression of a sharper image. A non-phase-coated binocular gives the impression of a softer image. That impression of a sharper image can come from increased contrast.

most modern roof prism binoculars are phase corrected....porro prism binoculars don't require phase coatings to produce a high contrast picture.....

BTW...look into the Zeiss Terra model....

Hi there,

I want to buy a pair of binoculars, my first one, i am already bidding on a pair of Carl Zeiss Jena Jenoptem 8x30w, pretty sure they are nice but maybe a bit unpractical (?), anyway, i am watching these binoculars :

Thank you for your help

Hello there,

The Jenoptem is a decent binocular to use, I used one during the 1980s quite happily, but not now really a competitor for more modern binoculars for serious use. If you can afford it, I would buy the best, even if its a used one, like the Zeiss 8x32 Victory, Swarovski 8x WB, people will have different opinions, but for less money the Nikon E11 porro is as good as anything in my opinion.
BUT my advice, before you make an expensive purchase, is to buy and read Bill Cooks book, Binoculars, Fallacy and Fact. It will not reccommend or pinpoint a particular binocular to you, but will pretty much answer all the other questions you have, as well as being an enjoyable and informative read.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back