Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Marsh warbler ? Neusiedlersee, Austria

Old Sunday 19th January 2020, 21:16   #1
kahraba
Q. Dubost

Marsh warbler ? Neusiedlersee, Austria

Hello,
browsing through old photos I found this one which looks like a good candidate for Acrocephalus palustris to me, although I initially IDed it as reed warbler.
What are your thoughts about it ?

Neusiedlersee, Austria, august 2018.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	acrocephalus.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	715348  
Old Sunday 19th January 2020, 21:41   #2
Jean FRANCOIS

Eurasian Reed Warbler 1cy
Jean
Old Sunday 19th January 2020, 23:32   #3
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Ditto to Reed Warbler.

Worth noting, Reed Warbler is only occasionally seen out of reeds; Marsh Warbler is only occasionally seen in reeds - so if it is in reeds (as here), the overwhelming probability is that it's a Reed Warbler
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 13:23   #4
MJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahraba View Post
Hello,
browsing through old photos I found this one which looks like a good candidate for Acrocephalus palustris to me, although I initially IDed it as reed warbler. What are your thoughts about it ? Neusiedlersee, Austria, august 2018.
Further to Nutcracker's advice, around Neusiedlersee/Fertö, look out at reedbed edges for clumps of bushes or isolated bushes in the reedbeds; for example at Jois-Seewiesen or Sarród. Ditches or canals with occasional bushes and some reeds are often worth checking out. You might even turn up Bluethroat in those habitats, but these have become much scarcer.
MJB
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 16:19   #5
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Ditto to Reed Warbler.

Worth noting, Reed Warbler is only occasionally seen out of reeds; Marsh Warbler is only occasionally seen in reeds - so if it is in reeds (as here), the overwhelming probability is that it's a Reed Warbler
Also worth noting Nutty, Reed Warblers on passage Aug-Oct and late April-May I’ve found in small Churchyards, parks and gardens in totally dry habitats! and that’s been within London’s urban core.
Old Monday 20th January 2020, 17:02   #6
jalid

Marsh Warblers (and Blyth's Reed) visit reedbeds very typically in early autumn when they are fattening for migration - especially aphids there are an important source of energy. I agree that this bird looks like Reed, although young Marsh and Reed can be very difficult to identify - this is an old story, but still true.
Old Tuesday 21st January 2020, 14:33   #7
kahraba
Q. Dubost

Thank you all for your replies. It was indeed in a small ditch with both reed and bushes, hence my post.
Basically, which morphological criteria leads to reed warbler rather than marsh here ? General (back) colour with brownish sides ?
Old Tuesday 21st January 2020, 14:53   #8
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahraba View Post
Thank you all for your replies. It was indeed in a small ditch with both reed and bushes, hence my post.
Basically, which morphological criteria leads to reed warbler rather than marsh here ? General (back) colour with brownish sides ?
Perhaps if it had been shot perched in a more mixed Cow Parsley, Sallow drier situation (no visible reeds), then Marsh Warbler may have been mooted? Especially as the bill appears shorter and stouter than one might ordinarily find on Reed Warbler, also the pale creamy legs again, not normally a Reed Warbler attribute.

Cheers
Old Tuesday 21st January 2020, 16:44   #9
jalid

Somewhat darkish upperparts and wing feathers, and not much yellow tinge anywhere, and dark claws point to Reed. Leg colour is of not so much use in young birds, but many Marsh have those more yellow. Call would be useful - Marsh has much like Sedge Warbler (or even Lesser Whitethroat), Reed softer and more "complicated". What can be seen of habitat in photos like this is of no use, and during migration you can see Marsh Warblers even in the wettest parts of reedbed, close to open water. They can also breed in reedbed fringes, but need some bushes then.
Old Thursday 23rd January 2020, 05:55   #10
kahraba
Q. Dubost

Thank you very much !
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: