• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpecker's little brown bird buddy (1 Viewer)

edgewyze

Hello,

I've been enjoying visits from a woodpecker who visits my back yard to peck at the porch rafters, trying to get at the carpenter bees who've been building their homes there for years. I believe it's a hairy woodpecker.

Sometimes when the woodpecker comes, there's this little brown bird that comes along with it. It kind of, but not quite, looks like a sparrow, but it's a little larger and a bit lighter colored than other sparrows. It sits a few feet away following along while the woodpecker is doing his thing.

I've tried looking up other instances of woodpeckers being accompanied by other birds but can't find any information to suggest this is a normal occurence. I am assuming the brown bird is an entire different breed from the woodpecker. It's kind of nice that they're pals, but I'd really like to know if what I'm witnessing is something unusual.

I've made several videos of the woodpecker in action, but haven't been able to get a shot of the little brown bird yet. It doesn't accompany the woodpecker every time, but I have seen the two of them together on numerous occassions.

Anyone have any thought on this?

Thanks

What an interesting observation Christina.

I think it may be quite important to try and get a picture and/or video of the 'friend' (you can upload the video to our BFTV channel - one of the tabs above).

I hope we can help you sort out this mystery.

Yes quite Interesting christina not something I,ve heard of before perhaps the little brown bird thinks there will be a free meal about if he stays around the woodpecker long enough most likely to do with getting a meal from the woodpeckers searching for grubs.

Thanks for your replies! I think yes, the little brown bird is trying to scavenge the dregs of the woodpecker's efforts. I've been trying to log onto the BFTV site to post a video of the woodpecker but I keep getting a message that says "We are sorry that we are unable to connect to birdforum database. A member of staff has been notified and we will try to fix this ASAP." I guess I'll try again later.

I'm sorry you're having trouble connecting to BFTV Christina. It was working OK as someone uploaded a video a couple of hours ago..... and I got through to the Upload Video Screen just now.

Could you try again .... your Birdforum username and password will be recognised if you do need to Register there.

Let me know if you have the same problem and I'll pass it on upstairs.

Hi again! I tried the BFTV site again and still can't log in unfortunately. Regarding the cowbird, that's an interesting thought - those are the birds that lay eggs in other birds nests, right? So if that was the case the woodpecker might think it's its baby?

Could it be a fledgling Cowbird? It is uncommon, but not impossible.

An interesting point, and certainly possible.

I wonder if House Finch could be considered? The House Finches in my yard will sometimes follow bluebirds for no apparent reason, especially in summer when there are young House Finches.

Very unlikely to be a cowbird which seldom parasitize woodpecker nests. My guess, as others have already suggested, is that it's for crumbs from the woodpecker's table. Warblers and kinglets are well know for similar behavior vis-a-vis sapsucker wells.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to get a photo of the little bird. I hope we can solve the mystery some day. Can anyone see the instagram video I posted? I'm not sure if it's visible to people who aren't registered on the site.

I have to say it sounds very much like the birds shadow!

Literally ... although obviously not ;)

(Afraid I couldn't access the instagram)

around my place the hairy woodpeckers are often followed around by a brown tree creeper...the woodpeckers wedge a peanut in the tree bark and the creeper comes in behind it and cleans up ...i know you said it is sparrow like and the tree creeper is more nuthatch like...but wondering if it could be a possibility

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back