• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID - Poland (1 Viewer)

AGDK

Hello

I have a couple of questions regarding gulls, which I saw today along the coast today in northern Poland..

One looks pretty good for a Yellowleg gull to me, but maybe it's just the usual "yellowleg" Herringgull... I can't really tell..

The other one is a 3cy Herring gull, right?

Attachments

• 3cy.jpg
    3cy.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Yellow.jpg
    Yellow.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 96
Hi Lou

Thanks for your post..

Can you tell me what makes you determine that?.. Is it just a jizz thing or do you have something clear to point out?

striation on head (rarely seen at this time of year in michahellis), orange orbital, weak bill, red on bill not up to upper mandible, shape and extent of white mirror (subapical spot on p10 merging with white tip, greenish yellow instead of bright to orangey yellow legs, long pale tongue on underside of p10 (right wing, visible just about the white tertial crescent).

striation on head (rarely seen at this time of year in michahellis), orange orbital, weak bill, red on bill not up to upper mandible, shape and extent of white mirror (subapical spot on p10 merging with white tip, greenish yellow instead of bright to orangey yellow legs, long pale tongue on underside of p10 (right wing, visible just about the white tertial crescent).

.....I’ve never seen an adult Herring Gull with greenish yellow legs and even allowing for the lighting such a dark mantle? ;)

.....I’ve never seen an adult Herring Gull with greenish yellow legs and even allowing for the lighting such a dark mantle? ;)

They're quite frequent in the Baltic, it's quite an eye-opener. Can heartily recommend it as a destination.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back