• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I have the desire - how do I get there? (1 Viewer)

countrybum

I've always played around with photography but just recently got interested in bird photography and now I want to get serious. I've been doing alot of reading of forums gleaning as much as I can but I really think I need to start at the beginning. My dear, sweet, wonderful husband bought me the Canon 100-400L IS lens for my Rebel XT and I just don't think I am doing it justice.

I was hoping to find a website that offered online classes, especially one that offers critiques. I could take classes at one of the local colleges but would prefer to do it online, I'm a bit of a hermit. If not a website, can you recommend any good books?

Thanks in advance

countrybum said:
I was hoping to find a website that offered online classes, especially one that offers critiques. I could take classes at one of the local colleges but would prefer to do it online, I'm a bit of a hermit. If not a website, can you recommend any good books?

take a look at our sister site - www.worldphotographyforum.com you find pleanty of hits and tips on how to use your camera. You can also find out about using photo processing software, and can request critique on your own photos. You can also ask any specific questions you might have about your camera and lens.

Thanks for the reply - I have learned alot here but I guess I am just a bit overwhelmed sometimes. I think I am improving but it's hard to be objective about your own work (at least for me). I noticed there is a critique section here too and since it is mainly birds that I am concentrating on (for now at least), I will ask for help there.

Thanks again!

countrybum said:
Thanks for the reply - I have learned alot here but I guess I am just a bit overwhelmed sometimes. I think I am improving but it's hard to be objective about your own work (at least for me). I noticed there is a critique section here too and since it is mainly birds that I am concentrating on (for now at least), I will ask for help there.

Thanks again!

There is a lot to do with the equipment and since I use a scope and 6MP camera I can't comment about your set up.

The one thing unique to bird photos is the extreme magnification wich means built in stabilization or a smooth release system. I think the latter can give sharper results with practise.

It took me months of practise just to identify problem areas I had and then months to correct them. I still feel like a novice and still feel I'm learning both in the field and in presentation, but thats half the fun.

I tried the same hobby 20 years ago with a 35mm slr and scope but gave up, at least we can now play on while the batteries last and glean out the best results. Another good learning process.

About the only critique I can give is watch the forshortening. It can distort the bird so it dose not look natural. I'm hoping to save a good pic some day by using photoshop (perpective correction) to correct this problem.

Anyway keep at it and have a blast.

I do seem to have a problem remembering to squeeze the shutter instead of jabbing at it, I get a little excited some times! Right now I usually use a tripod but I still seem to be getting some shake. I always used a release cable when I was doing macro photography so I am going to try that. I've heard you can use the Image stabilization feature even with the tripod but I've not seen much improvement with it on.

I hadn't even thought of the foreshortening - but you make an excellent point.

My biggest problem right now seems to be getting the optimal exposure with the quickest shutter speed. And just when I get what I think will be the best focal length, f-stop and iso the bird is gone or the lighting has changed. I think I just need more practice making those adjustments, or a younger mind!

Despite the tone of frustration of my original post, I am enjoying this! What a great way to combine three fun hobbies (bird watching, photography and photoshop fun).

Thanks for the help and the encouragement.

countrybum, I may be 100% wrong but I don`t think that you need the IS when the camera, and lens, is mounted on a tripod. I seem to recall, may be wrong again, that using the IS on a tripod is detrimental to the shot.
The 100-400 IS is a great lens and I am certain that with practice you will get some very good shots. It may be worthwhile to go to the POTN web site where they have a Nature and Wildlife section. There are some excellent bird piccies on there taken with the 100-400 lens.
Good Luck !

Going by your shot of the red bellied woodpecker, I don't think there's very much you need to do except keep shooting. You obviously have the ability and technique to take awesome bird photos already. Maybe learn some fieldcraft to enhance your opportunities? That's my big weakness now I've got the hang of the techy camera bits.

I highly recommend reading Arthur Morris's writing on digital bird photography. His website is: <www.birdsasart.com>

He's one of the leading bird photographers in the world, and though he uses lenses and other equipment that I'd have to pull a bank heist to afford, his advice on exposure, positioning, etc. is excellent.

Steve in Houston

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back