• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fogging Swarowskis! (1 Viewer)

Jason,

I wrote

Pinewood said:
. If it were not sealed and purged, internally, it would be dripping there as well.

As Curtis Croulet wrote, bad or failed seals could be the culprit. I have Leica or Leitz binoculars, up to fifty seven years old. A twenty year old Swarovski which I own does not match a similar, that is 7x50, Leitz binocular, which is decades older.

An experienced salesman at a large Chicago camera shop assured me that the Leica 8x32 was worth its price because of its ruggedness compared to other high priced glasses.

I will not share Tracker's indignation, but I share his lack of enthusiasm for the Austrian marque.

Happy birdwatching,
Arthur Pinewood :news:

Last edited:
Pinewood said:
Jason,

I wrote

As Curtis Croulet wrote, bad or failed seals could be the culprit. I have Leica or Leitz binoculars, up to fifty seven years old. A twenty year old Swarovski which I own does not match a similar, that is 7x50, Leitz binocular, which is decades older.

An experienced salesman at a large Chicago camera shop assured me that the Leica 8x32 was worth its price because of its ruggedness compared to other high priced glasses.

I will not share Tracker's indignation, but I share his lack of enthusiasm for the Austrian marque.

Happy birdwatching,
Arthur Pinewood :news:

Arthur,

I'm curious what you meant by it doesn't "match" the older Leitz? What model is it?

-elkcub

Last edited:
TrackersNZ.com said:
I've just had my brand new pair of SLC's out in the mountains for 5 days.
A few light showers, but nothing serious.
Picked them up this morning after having returned and can't see through the right hand side due to internal fogging, this is not good news for Swarovski. They are going back to the shop pronto. Will probbaly stick to my Leicas, as I've never had a problem with them.
10 hours later the fogging has cleared with no sign of residue. Still this is not good enough for such an expensive pair of bino's.

Tracker,

I had moisture get into a pair of 10x25 SLCs, which Swarovski repaired beautifully and in short order (three weeks). If my new 10x42 SLCs develop such a problem I'll just send them in and have it resolved. Nothing's perfect, but their repair service is superb, and that wouldn't be true if there were a high rate of failure. The 10x42s are proven performers and you made a great choice.

-elkcub

I onced walked around with the rain cap off my opticron bins (you would have thought I'd notice it was tipping down) and they were fine.

The Nikons have had a drenching or two and no ill effects

elkcub said:
Arthur,

I'm curious what you meant by it doesn't "match" the older Leitz? What model is it?

-elkcub
Elkccub,

My Leitz Marseptit has a wider field of view, a tad better resolution, and is easier to handle than a Swarovski Habicht SL. The thumb depressions do nothing for me. I guess that the Habicht is an earlier version. I should mention that the Swarovski was completely overhualed by their North American agent to correct fogging

I use neither glass for bird watching, but for star gazing.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Pinewood said:
Elkccub,

My Leitz Marseptit has a wider field of view, a tad better resolution, and is easier to handle than a Swarovski Habicht SL. The thumb depressions do nothing for me. I guess that the Habicht is an earlier version. I should mention that the Swarovski was completely overhualed by their North American agent to correct fogging

I use neither glass for bird watching, but for star gazing.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Arthur,

Well, I recently returned two brand new mis-aligned Leica 8x32BNs and one 10x42 Ultravid BL with defective eyecups. Believe me I was steaming worse than Tracker. All three were made in Germany not Portugal. Still, there are lots of folks that swear by (not at) both brands and I wouldn't condemn either as long as they make good on their products. --it happens! BTW, for a finger numbing experience try the new Ultravid BLs without thumb depressions.
-elkcub

Bill Atwood said:
You didn't like the BLs, elkcub?

Bill,
Personally I found the leather covered BLs too hard on my hands. Old bones. IMO the rubber covered Ultravid models are considerably more pleasant, and, like the BLs, the optics are first rate. The weight and balance is also excellent — almost the equal of SLCs.

Maybe because I have adapted to Swaro coatings over the years, I find find them more soothing to the eye, so I wound up buying my personal favorite, the somewhat heavier 10x42 SLC. The Sworobright coatings do make a difference, and I feel they are up to date optics. (If forced to decide, I'd take the Ultravids over the ELs, however.)
-elkcub

elkcub said:
Bill,
Personally I found the leather covered BLs too hard on my hands. Old bones. IMO the rubber covered Ultravid models are considerably more pleasant, and, like the BLs, the optics are first rate. The weight and balance is also excellent — almost the equal of SLCs.

Maybe because I have adapted to Swaro coatings over the years, I find find them more soothing to the eye, so I wound up buying my personal favorite, the somewhat heavier 10x42 SLC. The Sworobright coatings do make a difference, and I feel they are up to date optics. (If forced to decide, I'd take the Ultravids over the ELs, however.)
-elkcub

I should add that the 10x42Bls are stunning classic binocs, and I would have retained them in spite of my bones were it not for the really poor quality eyecups. I think they'll become collectors items (way after I'm gone).
-elk

You don't like the eyecups? Are they the same as on the BRs? They're one thing I do like about my 8x42BRs. The BLs weren't available when I bought mine. I kinda want to see the BLs, since they are lighter and slimmer than the BRs.

Bill Atwood said:
You don't like the eyecups? Are they the same as on the BRs? They're one thing I do like about my 8x42BRs. The BLs weren't available when I bought mine. I kinda want to see the BLs, since they are lighter and slimmer than the BRs.

That was my thinking too, lighter and slimmer, and classy. Don't know if they have the same eyecups as on the BRs though. I'd hope not. The ones that came on my BL drooped and were quite loose. The dealer's two others behaved the same way. Very disappointing. I lost confidence in the model. I later saw BRs at a different dealers, and they worked fine. But by then I was spooked, having heard several horror stories of bad service, and ... had two frustrating experiences with 8x32BNs out of alignment. (Three dealers were involved in all.)

I may have just been unlucky and gotten bad stock. The BLs are elegant if you get a good pair, but like I said they are unforgiving on the hands, IMO. Also, I seriously doubt that the leather covering will take wet environments without peeling. So, they may be more for show than blow as we used to say.
-elk

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back