• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (3 Viewers)

April 4th.

A rare afternoon session to try out the eBird app produced two nice additions

57. Sand Martin - five north and two hours later two south
58. Osprey - one hovering over a small lake that I can't see at all, unfortunately.

Osprey was my second garden lifer of the week, following the Curlew on Wednesday - had another today, unseen but doing its wonderful breeding call as it went over.

Not a bad day all in all, 37 species from the garden.

Steve

Five more than me. I basically see the last three days as an extended Osprey dip. Ospreys to the south of me. Ospreys to the north of me. Here I am stuck in the middle with Buzzards. At least my local Herring Gulls and Carrion Crows were limbering up today to alert me if one does cross the garden airspace.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Z Buzzard 002.JPG
    Z Buzzard 002.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Z Buzzard 003.JPG
    Z Buzzard 003.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Z Buzzard 005.JPG
    Z Buzzard 005.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 37
  • Z Buzzard 007.JPG
    Z Buzzard 007.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Z Buzzard 009.JPG
    Z Buzzard 009.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 39
Busy most of Saturday 4th April with domestic chores. Watched a Male Brimstone through the garden, whilst washing up.

Finally able to grab some time to do an hour of garden / sky watching up to 19:45pm . Yielded 4 additions :

22) first heard then saw a pair of Long-tailed Tits
23) a most unexpected Jay in flight- the house owner moved here in 1989 and it was their first from the garden- the nearest woods are about a mile and a half away
24) Great Black-backed Gulls - 3 seen in total, in flight
25) A male Sparrowhawk flying low , at feeder height, through. the neighbour's gardens - also a surprise, due to the time of day, as we were expecting that any would have gone to roost by 19:45pm.

So no hirundines for me today,but little time to look- hopefully tomorrow....

As I have reached my second target number , I will revise my next target up to 30.

The great Bird Gods in the Sky work in strange and mysterious ways! The resident Tawny Owl popped out before leaving his roost tree (not often seen)...an omen I thought! :eek!:

Bodes well for the Common Scoter vigil tonight I thought, can honestly say that my (second night) 90 min.vigil didn't disprove the old adage that ''the silence was deafening!''

This am staring into an empty wall to wall blue, I espied a ''small contrasty ''Buzzard'' over the garden, I grabbed the camera and emptied the burst shots.

Through the viewfinder I thought ''a bit slender for a Buzby?'' soon followed by that good old Anglo Saxon WTF!! as it began to skydance momentarily, before disappearing East over the roof!

As to why it ''danced'' over forest/ride and gardens....I haven't a clue, as the habitat is hardly optimum.....Ye Gods!

Attachments

• P2190164.jpeg   Tawny 02.jpg
    P2190164.jpeg Tawny 02.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 35
  • P2190517.jpeg    MH 5..jpeg
    P2190517.jpeg MH 5..jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 59
  • P2190521.jpeg    MH 6..jpeg
    P2190521.jpeg MH 6..jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 46
  • P2190527.jpeg   MH over grdn. 2..jpeg
    P2190527.jpeg MH over grdn. 2..jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 45
  • P2190532.jpeg    MH 4..jpeg
    P2190532.jpeg MH 4..jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 55
No new birds so far today but an array of butties:

Holly Blue (settled and photographed)
Orange Tip male
Small White
Brimstone (about time!)

Also Peacock and Comma, but they weren't new. Feels like Spring!

John

Two yard year ticks yesterday:

44) Little Egret
45) White-throated Kingfisher

Then today had an actual yard lifer!
46) Red-rumped Swallows

flock of 9 flew over heading east. Yard bird #54

Another 30 minutes of garden and sky- watching has generated my second addition of the day :

27) Cormorant flying east

Plus Peacock; Small Tortoishell and Brimstone Butterflies, during the day.

April 5th.

A quieter day than yesterday, and a difficult morning with the bright sun, but...…..

59. Yellowhammer - one heard going over.

Steve

Welcome to all the newcomers, great reading on everyone's feathered visitors.
We've finally got the start of spring migration turning up now (bang on time, just feels longer than usual!), so adding birds pretty much daily at the moment.

18 American Robin
19 Turkey Vulture
20 Sharp-shinned Hawk
21 Red-shouldered Hawk
22 Canada Goose
23 Eastern Phoebe
24 Winter Wren
25 Wild Turkey
26 Song Sparrow

Next up likely the migrant woodpeckers I'm guessing.

In the end 36 species today after a later start than I intended and a two hour work call in the morning. A few photo additions with Moorhen, Swallow & Lapwing. The first was reward for getting a better vantage point on the adjacent rhine from the front bedroom. Otherwise two garden year ticks:-

51 Common Gull - eight flew south - three adults & three first-summers - 05 Apr 2020
52 Green Woodpecker - after a few distant calls before in recent days, finally a clear yaffle heard - 05 April 2020

My favourite photo of lockdown attached being a Woodpigeon bringing me flowers. ;)

Now lockdown garden list is 49 - 32 photographed & 2 heard only (Common Scoter & Green Woodpecker).

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Woodpigeon 003.JPG
    Woodpigeon 003.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Common Gull 003.JPG
    Common Gull 003.JPG
    250.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Moorhen 001.JPG
    Moorhen 001.JPG
    761.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Swallow 001.JPG
    Swallow 001.JPG
    340.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Lapwing 001.JPG
    Lapwing 001.JPG
    280.5 KB · Views: 31
Band of rain this morning has grounded at least one migrant:

50. Willow Warbler: in a tree by the brook there's a songbird that sings.

Yesterday evening I doubled the lockdown mammal list with both Daubenton's Bat and Common Pipistrelle feeding around the houses outside the front door.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back