• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve in may! (1 Viewer)

dubs1967

going to carviero on 17 may for 2 weeks.I would like information on the best sites at that time of year please.Hopefull of montys and black shouldered kite!any info would be much appreciated.Thanks dubs.

Wow! Carvoeiro! It looked a good spot for a holiday when I passed through 8 years ago. Others will tell you about the birding locations which, admittedly, have been well covered on this forum, but what I remember about the village was a flock of 30 alpine swifts over a hotel complex just up the road.
Allen

dubs1967 said:
going to carviero on 17 may for 2 weeks.I would like information on the best sites at that time of year please.Hopefull of montys and black shouldered kite!any info would be much appreciated.Thanks dubs.

Hi Dubs,
Here's a link to my trip report from Nov. 2006, obviously mainly winter stuff and you should be seeing all the summer arrivals but it gives you a good selection of sites worth visiting.
The Alentejo, Castro Verde area in particular, is brilliant for Montagu's, if you don't see a dozen plus you've had a bad day. B.S.Kite is in the area too but don't know if there is a regular site for them.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=73050

Hell, just remembered I put a trip report in for late April as well, I'll have to close this thread, find it and put it in another post.

Regards

John

Last edited:
dubs1967 said:
Hi John,

We're going there the week before you. There's a book you really need to get before you go - Summer Birding on the Central Algarve by Jon Hardacre. It lists the best sites around Carvoeiro and what you can expect to see there.

casarosa said:
Have a look at http://www.casarosa.net/may05.htm it will give you a very good idea of what is around in May. Have a great holiday. Roger.
Thanks for that roger,i have already looked at your casa on the web.I wouldnt mind coming up there for a night or two.Any room between 20 to 25 may(approx)please let me know with price.cheers dubs. B :)

Algarve in May.

dubs1967 said:
Thanks for that roger,i have already looked at your casa on the web.I wouldnt mind coming up there for a night or two.Any room between 20 to 25 may(approx)please let me know with price.cheers dubs. B :)

Cheers Dubs.

Yes we still have a bit of availability in May.

But just drop in and see us and we will be pleased to let you know what is about. With a bit of luck the Red-necked nightjar might be around and we can point you in the direction of a great Bee-eaters nesting site.
Full direction to us are at http://www.casarosa.com.pt/page9.html

Roger.

dubs1967 said:

Hi Dubs.

If you get the chance to stay at the Casa Rosa, take it. Roger and Hanny are terrific hosts and there is plenty of great birding to be had in the grounds and very near by.

Go once and you will want to go back again.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back