• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dantheman's UK yearlist 2008 (1 Viewer)

31/03/08

Lisvane Reservoir

145 SPOTTED SANDPIPER, 1st w

A trip to S. Wales for other reasons allowed for a bit of a twitch to catch up with some of the good birds present in the region and the south west . .
Had a bit of trouble finding it, the reservoirs first and then the bird after walking all the way around both reservoirs . . . v few other birds to note (200+ LBBGulls, 2 GBBGulls, handful of Herring Gulls . . . ). A few spots showing on the rear of the bird. Cracking close-up views through the bars of the fence surrounding the reservoir in the end though ;)

Attachments

• spotsand2c.jpg
    spotsand2c.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 84
  • spotsand5c.jpg
    spotsand5c.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 101
01/04/08

Marloes, Pembrokeshire

146 BLACK DUCK, female
147 Willow Warbler 1
148 Wheatear 2m
149 Chough 3

Stayed at the Youth Hostel, didn't make a particularly early start, but the star bird (dead exciting, however much others may diss it :t: !!) was there alright, out in the open at times, but mostly frustratingly just out of sight. There was at least 1 Willow Warbler in addition to the dozens of Chiffchaff flitting all along the waters edge. Dipped on the Rosy Starling in Haverfordwest. (Not reported on birdguides at all. Being kept quiet to respect householders privacy? Pah!) The starlings that were present all flew off after a while, so left it at that.

Dale, Pembrokeshire

149 b) Pale-bellied Brent Goose 20+?

Lifer, but not afforded full species status (hence the b) Nice nonetheless.

Found the 1st winter Med Gull at the head of the Gann Estuary, but not the Ring-billed in amongst the 30 or so Common Gulls (if it was present). The light and the fact they were mostly sleeping not helping. If it was indeed still present . .

Off the A40, west of Carmarthen, Wales

150 Red Kite 1, then 4 more subsequently,

Chew Valley Lake, Somerset

151 Swallow 2

Managed to turn up at almost last light in the slim hope of bumping into the Franklin's Gull. No such 'luck' of course . . .

Attachments

• blackduck1c.jpg
    blackduck1c.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 92
  • willow600c.jpg
    willow600c.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 108
  • skomerc.jpg
    skomerc.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 99
  • palebrent1c.jpg
    palebrent1c.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
02/04/08

Cheddar Reservoir, Somerset

152 Sand Martin, c.200
153 Red-necked Grebe 1 summer plumage
154 Scaup, 4 distant

Greater Scaup id ok on jizz :t: Also 2 Raven, Pied Wagtails, Grey Wagtail, best views of the RNGrebe as it was ‘attacked’ from underneath by GCG, taking flight and flying to the edge of the reservoir just up from me. Maybe a standard response to underwater attack? Wheatear, Several Swallow at least . .

Northam Burrows, Devon

155 KING EIDER 1st w male

Had a long walk after being pointed in the right direction by a local, didn’t think would connect due to the fog, area to be covered etc . . . Also Shelduck, 10 Wigeon etc. The pic is definitely a 'record' shot ;) Actual views weren't that much better, but I was happy enough with the features I could make out :t: Bonus points for id of the other species!

Attachments

• kingeiderc.jpg
    kingeiderc.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 74
  • northamburroughsc.jpg
    northamburroughsc.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 81
  • redngrebe1c.jpg
    redngrebe1c.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 97
  • rngrebe2c.jpg
    rngrebe2c.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 81
03/04/08

Two Mile Coppice, Weymouth, Dorset

156 PALLAS'S WARBLER singing male.

After a night in the car at Portland (too tight to stay at the obs -maybe next time), and a bit of an explore around with little to show but good views of an overhead f Marsh Harrier, headed off for the Pallas's on my way home. Had to wait a while but worth it. Cracking little bird. Excellent views in the end as it preened in the sallows. Would have been a good photo op but I'd left the scope around the corner!

'On the A352', N of Dorchester, Dorset

157 Yellowhammer

Nearly a first on the 'dead bird' yearlist. Fortunately not.

03/05/08

Dartford Town Centre, Kent

158 Swift 3 wheeling

'The Allotment', Dartford

159 Whitethroat male

Another abscence of a month or so, this time the excuse being I was in the States for 2 weeks and then spent another 2 recovering! Had a fair few year ticks, but they don't count for this list! Nearly bringing the list into the current century . . . ;)

04/05/08

Hanningfield? Reservoir, Essex

160 Black Tern 21
161 Common Tern 3+

Sunday Afternoon trip, took the bins, rewarded with distant views of the terns! (Did check them for white bits on the wings, nothing doing). Could almost have been self-found as well, but I had heard on birdguides that one had been seen.

05/05/08

Crossness NR, Erith, Greater London

162 Reed warbler
163 Tree Pipit
164 Wood Sandpiper

Took the trip out to try and catch up with the Richards Pipit which had been around for a few days (firstly on Rainham Tip). . . But it was last seen mid morning, and I was there late afternoon. Caught up with a few other year ticks though which was compensation enough in the circumstances. (Escaped Grey headed Gull had also been seen earlier in the day, but since there were 3 known fence hoppers just out not too much sleep to be lost there . . . )

11/05/08

Rainham Marsh, Essex

165 TEMMINCK’S STINT (2)
166 Little ringed Plover
167 Greenshank

Made it out into the fresh air again, a bit of an influx of this excellent little wader doing just the trick. Dead cute and third lifer of the year. (Apparently a third bird was present, not showing when I was there though). Probably heard Lesser Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler too, but will wait for proper views before ticking these . .

12/05/08

Dartford Marsh, Kent

168 Cuckoo 4+
169 Hobby

Out in this prime birding location (hmmmm . . ) scrutinising the habitat for my own rare stints, Great Reed Warblers, Red footed Falcons etc etc etc . . Obviously no chance, although the silhouetted hobby had me going for a brief while. Ah well. I had the belief . .

Last edited:
13/5/08

Swanley Park

170 Turtle Dove

Another year tick courtesy of Atlas listing. One purring from a telegraph pole by the lane.

21/05/08

Amwell GP, Essex

171 GREAT REED WARBLER

Lee Valley CP, Essex

172 Nightingale (h)

(Dipped on Red-footed Falcon though . . .)

21/06/08

Grove Ferry NNR, Kent

173 Bearded Tit
174 Green Sandpiper

(No sign of the White-rumped Sandpiper; it had gorne . . . )

21/07/08

Swanley Park, Kent

175 House Martin
176 Lesser Whitethroat

(Just to continue a trend . . .) Actually probably saw the House Martins earlier than this from the garden, no date noted, so this being the first recorded. (Whilst Atlas birding).

25/07/08

Cliffe Pools RSPB, Kent

177 Sedge Warbler
178 Whimbrel 9+
179 Curlew Sandpiper 3
180 Spotted Redshank 2

Went off to check out a report of a 'stint sp'. No sign, but some welcome year ticks. Hundreds of Avocet too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back